Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a look at this thread in the Sydney forum where a driver (@Singaoorejay) has received a fine of $570 and one demerit point for stopping in a disabled parking place to pick up a rider with a walking frame:

Fortunately, we have a special exemption in the ACT but there is no equivalent exemption in New South Wales.

So take particular care about this when driving over the border.

Here's more information about the ACT exemption.

Regulation 221Y of the Road Transport (Public Passenger Services) Regulation 2002 (ACT) concerns dropping off or picking up mobility impaired passengers by the drivers of rideshare vehicles, taxis and hire cars.

Regulation 221Y begins by stating the driver must refuse to stop anywhere it would be unlawful to do so. The driver may also refuse to stop anywhere that is in their opinion unsafe even if it's lawful to stop there.

However, the driver may stop where otherwise unlawful if dropping off or picking up someone with a significant disability affecting their mobility. This is provided there is no other place nearby the driver can lawfully and safely drop off or pick up the passenger. Stopping there must also in the driver's opinion be safe.

According to the legislation, examples of these kinds of passengers are those who depend on a wheelchair; those who ordinarily use a walking stick, crutches or a walking-frame to move around outdoors; and blind people.

(http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/sl/2002-3/current/pdf/2002-3.pdf: see page 228)

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I picked up an old bag with a fold up frame one time, took me half an hour just to do a minimum fare trip, I told her you ever get me again and I'll just run your sorry crippled arse over and cancel, hopefully she got the message.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts