Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I picked up 3 tall boys in the evening who had finished their game and were heading back home, a 5 min drive. They looked 18 or 19 so I gave them the ride but I was wondering what if they were 17.

How do you determine if a pax in late teen with adult height is a minor? A lot of kids look much older than their age. A lot of adults look younger than their age especially from Far East Asian countries.
Do you ask for id to verify their age?
Would you pick up a 16 or 17 years old unaccompanied minor? What exactly is the definition of an unaccompanied minor in NSW.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Yesterday I picked up 3 tall boys in the evening who had finished their game and were heading back home, a 5 min drive. They looked 18 or 19 so I gave them the ride but I was wondering what if they were 17.

How do you determine if a pax in late teen with adult height is a minor? A lot of kids look much older than their age. A lot of adults look younger than their age especially from Far East Asian countries.
Would you pick up a 16 or 17 years old unaccompanied minor? What exactly is the definition of an unaccompanied minor in NSW.
don't worry be happy.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Its not illegal to transport minors in a rideshare vehicle in NSW.

However, if some unfortunate event occurs, I doubt you will be able to make a claim against FUbers/Olas insurance. That could make the driver liable for any costs outside of CTP coverage, unless you have specific liability insurance that covers you.

Also, if you get reported, you are toast. As a driver, how do you know if little Johnny has accessed their parents account without authorisation to book the ride? Then the parent disputes the charge, giving explicit details..... and we know their is little investigation from rideshare companies..... deactivation is entirely possible.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Some people worry about nothing. As @UberRambo said "just drive".

The last thing you should do is ask for ID, you will be reported and suspended in no time.

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
B
Its not illegal to transport minors in a rideshare vehicle in NSW.

However, if some unfortunate event occurs, I doubt you will be able to make a claim against FUbers/Olas insurance. That could make the driver liable for any costs outside of CTP coverage, unless you have specific liability insurance that covers you.

Also, if you get reported, you are toast. As a driver, how do you know if little Johnny has accessed their parents account without authorisation to book the ride? Then the parent disputes the charge, giving explicit details..... and we know their is little investigation from rideshare companies..... deactivation is entirely possible.
By law it isn't illegal... Its just ubers T&C...

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Some people worry about nothing. As @UberRambo said "just drive".

The last thing you should do is ask for ID, you will be reported and suspended in no time.
100% correct, how can you know how the trip has been booked, if it's through Uber Business a minor could simply be the account holders child or any possible scenario.

does anyone know what's t&cs are for an Uber Business account, are their age restrictions?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
100% correct, how can you know how the trip has been booked, if it's through Uber Business a minor could simply be the account holders child or any possible scenario.

does anyone know what's t&cs are for an Uber Business account, are their age restrictions?
Fuber have never announced that FUber Business even exists to drivers. So as far as drivers go, its BAU.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Yesterday I picked up 3 tall boys
.....hey sorry dudes.... I thought Ray Zero dude... had just done an XL fare from Ikea... picking up 3 Tall Boys cupboards..... sorry my bad dudes.... yo!.... can I get an id check in aisle 4 for the cupboards pls..... yo!... dude Ray Zero I was gonna congratulate u.... with cool work getting those 3 Tall boy cupboards in ya car..... way ta go ray zero.. R0 rocks!!.....

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Fuber have never announced that FUber Business even exists to drivers. So as far as drivers go, its BAU.
It should be BAU for anyone with a private transfer business living on the fringes to develop a relationship with pax who are made to use Uber Business by their boss. I've got a few who book a trip as I arrive

·
Registered
497 Posts
School kids from year 10 to 12 are always ordering rides ...., in school uniform. I just take them to school and pick up (from Eastern Subs private schools). Had a few this past week!

·
Registered
5 Posts

I rang Uber about this issue when I turned up at a school expecting to find a parent or teacher but it was an unaccompanied student.
Uber said that if it isn't obvious that they are under 18 (ie; primary school kids, for example) then we are NOT allowed to ask their age or ask for ID.
Until Uber issue clear instructions to ALL account holders regarding this - I refuse to leave a child stranded alone. I simply had her call her mum and stay on the phone while I completed the trip.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Just get 'Working With Children' accreditation as an additional protection layer. If we aren't allowed to ask for proof of age, presumably due to privacy laws, then you have only a visual impression to go by. This is a very subjective thing, and what may appear to be a minor to one person, may not be to another. Unless Uber et al provide clear reasons as to why the carriage of minors is forbidden, when it is allowed under the P2P regulations, they can't really complain if it occasionally occurs. Does anyone know the exact reason behind the rule?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just get 'Working With Children' accreditation as an additional protection layer. If we aren't allowed to ask for proof of age, presumably due to privacy laws, then you have only a visual impression to go by. This is a very subjective thing, and what may appear to be a minor to one person, may not be to another. Unless Uber et al provide clear reasons as to why the carriage of minors is forbidden, when it is allowed under the P2P regulations, they can't really complain if it occasionally occurs. Does anyone know the exact reason behind the rule?
Yep - that covers you legally.
I already have mine for my other work.
Also - because you can have visa debit cards while still a minor, 16 & 17 year olds can get an Uber account.
Its not my job to interrogate them :cools:

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Yep - that covers you legally.
I already have mine for my other work.
Also - because you can have visa debit cards while still a minor, 16 & 17 year olds can get an Uber account.
Its not my job to interrogate them :cools:
They can also use their parents debit/credit cards

1 - 20 of 32 Posts