Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
I average about one 911 call a YEAR doing driving a cab PART TIME, never once has it been related to actually being robbed.

And that's not counting all the runners/failure to pay. That phenomenon doesn't even get a 911 call.

I'm talking about incidents that involve calling the cops. Like a drunken ******* not wanting to get out of the car. Sure i COULD drag his drunken ass out myself, but if I hurt him that's a whole mess of liability. So I turned the meter back on and let the cops drag him out, and then force him to pay for what the meter is at the second he's out of the car. The dude wasn't passed out either. He just didn't want to get out.

Another time i got my car rammed by this HO with a shopping cart full of groceries because i denied her service over not wanting to take her 6 kids (7 total passengers, 8 total including me) in a car that legally seats 5 (including me). This would have happened on uber the same as it would in the cab.

Uber is if anything worse these days.

And to be honest the car jacking?

People don't carjack taxis to jack their ride. That doesn't happen, there's no point to stealing a worthless over the hill taxi that's marked on the outside beyond recognition.

Uber/lyft also tend to get a large portion of the drunken shenanigans these days. The violent drunken ******** who get violent when they are 15 minutes past the Wendy's closing time and take it out on you and need beat down because they start swinging. True story guys... A guy took a swing at me because wendys was already closed.

I had another guy try to beat on me because he got hit with a 4X surge and his $15 ride instead cost him $60 Another drunken *******.

Truthfully.. I 100% whole heartedly believe that driving uber is probably more dangerous than driving a cab. The last cab driver I know who was robbed gave the guy a whole $50 and he took off running. Didn't even take his cell phone or car keys (something that happens in robberies)... Heck getting a tow and getting car keys replaces would have been more money if he had been robbed doing uber than a cab. Hundreds more... car keys are EXPENSIVE man...

Taxis are second fiddle to uber, that's another reason why it's safer. If a thug want's to rob someone and steal their car they arn't going to wait for a taxi, they are going to just rob an uber driver.

This magical unicorn also carries a gun in the cab. In spite of the annual 911 call I still never have drawn it on this job. Because nothing this ******** has done has justified me taking their life. Not yet anyway.

So realistically ... I wholeheartedly believe that driving uber is more dangerous. Which in itself is a sad thing. There's also a belief that uber drivers carry cash. And if you DON'T have cash to give an armed robber? That's not a situation i would want to be in.

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
100% whole heartedly believe that driving uber is probably more dangerous than driving a cab.
I dunno about now, but back when I drove cab, we had code words to use to get other driver help there, RFN.
If I was in trouble, or sensed trouble I would radio the word "Cover" or alternately "jacket" or "coat". So, I'd radio ... "R12. I left my coat in the office. Could I have someone meet me with my cover?"
I'd get a response of "Check R12. Need your jacket. What's your seven?"
When I gave her my location she'd confirm that, sending it over the air. The other drivers hear the 'cover' code and the location and ... lemme tell ya, in SECONDS multiple units would appear. Some with pax ... some without. All ready to do battle - it was rarely needed because of the overwhelming show of force.

You got a half dozen cabbies standing around staring into the back seat with half que sticks and baseball bats in their hand ... it gets the pax's attention and they seem very willing to follow instructions.

I've even seen drivers from other companies providing 'cover'.
We all stuck together back then. And the public knew that a cabbie was one of the groups you just didn't want to **** with.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Uber cares tremendously for your safety. Every time a driver is killed they offer immediate condolences for the family. Also, they will even award a posthumous "Late Night Hero" Badge and award one last 5 star rating on your record. Very caring company.
At one time they gave a Subway cookie too. *only at participating funeral homes with a 4.85 rating, and proof of repeat clients. 🤬

21 - 23 of 23 Posts