Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the weather is starting to get hot, I'm having a huge problem with my phone overheating whilst using the Uber app.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. Often it will stop charging midway through the trip, and a warning message will come up, telling me that the phone temperature is too hot and it can't charge.

I'll end the trip and pick up my phone, and it will be so hot that I won't even be able to hold it properly.

Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
As the weather is starting to get hot, I'm having a huge problem with my phone overheating whilst using the Uber app.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. Often it will stop charging midway through the trip, and a warning message will come up, telling me that the phone temperature is too hot and it can't charge.

I'll end the trip and pick up my phone, and it will be so hot that I won't even be able to hold it properly.

Have the phone on the vent turn the air on and that solve the issue. My holder is on the vent and it's also a wireless charger all-in-one and the in the summer the phone can heat up so I turn the air on

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts

Mine is S7 on vent and yet it still overheats as you describe from time to time and I run 3 apps, when free I do a battery maintenance on phone to make sure only the things I want are running, leave out of charger for a while, seems to come good and doesn't do it again for a month or two.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
S8 no warming. Screen is toasted though.

Window mount - visible from 2km away.

Magnetic stick on mount has been good. Down low, below vent. Phone is almost cold.

·
Banned
930 Posts

Put phone holder in right vent.
Run aircon

·
Registered
20 Posts

Putting your phone on the vent with air-conditioner on is the best way.

My iPhone, when it's hot, gets extremely slow and Uber Drive and Google Maps are running sluggish (GPS can't follw my location as I drive) and I have to pull over somewhere to cool it down.

It is so frustrating when it's happening on a trip.

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts

Like it been said before to focus the phone into the vent of the AC. Turn off the other vents as required for more airflow too and rapid cooling. Window mounts & charging will result in a phone that will die very quickly and would need replacing sooner. Heat is the number 1 killer for hardware. The cooler you can keep ur phone the longer it will last.

The phone battery probably shot now been exposed to critically high temperatures. Each time it gets there you lose capacity at a very accelerated rate. It'll charge slower and create more heat charging until the battery just fails to charge in the end. Have the phone already charged before getting in the car helps a great deal so it only ever topping up the charge. Instead of having to run demanding apps and charge at the same time it pretty much the worst thing you can do to a phone battery. That creates a lot of heat too.

All you can do is to keep it out of direct sunlight and give it plenty of airflow after that. AC preferably and in the winter time turn off the vent where the phone is attached so hot air isn't melting the phone down. After doing all that and the battery is still overheating well ur battery is fried and probably need replacing. Which will cost you a pretty penny $$$.

Reactions: zanboor

·
Registered
42 Posts

Also get rid of the phone cover.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Yes I had it happen a lot with my HTC U Ultra. Then I read the battery is the weak link. So I have got a xiaomi max 3 now with 5500mah battery. That will last nearly all day without a charge. It was going to cost me $120 to replace the battery in the HTC max 3 cost me $269 with a big screen. I have it mounted on a home made magnet on a clip that goes on the center aircon vent.. I learnt not to leave the phone on the mount when out of the car for more than 5 minutes also. This can cook it fast.
I thought the rules made by uber state that the screen of the phone must be viewable to Pax. How can they see it when you have it on the right hand side of your steering wheel?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts