Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Don't do stupid things like take your riders to your house and act all creeper like...
Also, don't do stupid things like agreeing with a rider to take them to your house or apartment. AVOID fraternizing with customers, is the best rule.

As for the fingerprint requirement: Can you imagine 10,000 ride-share drivers all getting fingerprinted, paying a $100 fee, and then having to wait two weeks, or more, for the results? That's a lot of down time for full-time employed drivers; a heap of paperwork and big money for part-time drivers.

Most passengers don't care about driver fingerprints - they like the system just the way it is - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If the City Council was really concerned with driver and rider safety, they would close down every bar in town and block all traffic downtown. Just get the drunks off the road! That should be the city government priority, not partisan politics.

If Uber quits Austin because of an onerous requirement like fingerprinting, the City Council will have egg all over their face. Austin will be a laughing stock all over the tech world.

·
Registered
933 Posts
First IF drivers are required to have finger prints done. I would be all for it. It would cause many drivers to quit thus creating a higher demand for those like me who have no fear of having my finger prints on file. Mine already are :). Secondly Austin would not be the laughing stock of the tech world. Prior to Uber less then 2 years ago the city operated just fine and would do so again. The revenue from DWI's would skyrocket till people learned once again to not drink and drive. There would be an upswing in DWI related deaths which is a huge down side of losing Uber and Lyft. That is where any attempt to retain doing business in the city should be focused.

·
Registered
314 Posts
As for the fingerprint requirement: Can you imagine 10,000 ride-share drivers all getting fingerprinted, paying a $100 fee, and then having to wait two weeks, or more, for the results? That's a lot of down time for full-time employed drivers; a heap of paperwork and big money for part-time drivers.

If Uber quits Austin because of an onerous requirement like fingerprinting, the City Council will have egg all over their face. Austin will be a laughing stock all over the tech world.
To be fair, because I have been through the process with TX DPS, the cost is about $25 for a fingerprint and criminal background check and the turn around time to receive my report from the state was 24 hours. Please don't exaggerate. It was easy, not onerous.

·
Registered
314 Posts
He had previously been arrested for theft by check <$500 in Willimason County in 2010. As long as he had paid his fines and kept out of trouble since then that offense would NOT have prevented him from getting a taxi or limo chauffeur permit, fingerprints or no fingerprints. He would be allowed to drive passengers for hire under current city rules. There are plenty of taxi and limo drivers in Austin with permits who have been arrested for various offenses in their past.

http://texas.arrests.org/Arrests/Michael_Olu-wehuje_11621422/

By the alleged facts we know now with this latest incident, I'd say his driving days should now be done though.

·
Banned
332 Posts
To be fair, because I have been through the process with TX DPS, the cost is about $25 for a fingerprint and criminal background check and the turn around time to receive my report from the state was 24 hours. Please don't exaggerate. It was easy, not onerous.
And you don't think that Uber/COA would find a way to make it so? Plus, having 1,500+ people trying to get verified at the same time is guaranteed to be a cluster. I just don't see the need for it in principle. Get more comprehensive background checks on the front end and there would be less room for people to *****. The real problem is that Uber went cheap like it does for everything and now it's coming back to bite them. Like....a lot of things.

·
Registered
933 Posts
And you don't think that Uber/COA would find a way to make it so? Plus, having 1,500+ people trying to get verified at the same time is guaranteed to be a cluster. I just don't see the need for it in principle. Get more comprehensive background checks on the front end and there would be less room for people to *****. The real problem is that Uber went cheap like it does for everything and now it's coming back to bite them. Like....a lot of things.
COA could ease the initial rush by making it that all new drivers need to be finger printed prior to being activated and those currently driving would have a 6 month grace period to get it done. Uber I am sure would cry bloody murder and say that it was unrealistic. The rest of your statement I totally agree with I was shocked that my background check for both companies came back in 2 days. The one I do for the state every 4 yrs takes at least 1 week generally 2 weeks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There is a process in place with the state in multiple locations (at least 5 in Austin) that is used by all commercial drivers,taxi, limo, school bus, etc. Wait times sitting in line are typically 30 minutes to get fingerprinted and may go up in the initial week after a new rule for Uber, but it's really much easier to get done than you are imagining. Reports are ready for pickup the next day.

Uber and driver shill Anthony Nguyen are being a little bit ridiculous saying this is difficult to implement, but of course they will drag their heels. They do not want to set a precedent that will be followed in every other major city.

·
Banned
332 Posts
There is a process in place with the state in multiple locations (at least 5 in Austin) that is used by all commercial drivers,taxi, limo, school bus, etc. Wait times sitting in line are typically 30 minutes to get fingerprinted and may go up in the initial week after a new rule for Uber, but it's really much easier to get done than you are imagining. Reports are ready for pickup the next day.
I guess since it is a barrier to entry for new drivers that I should actually support it. I have nothing to hide and if it keeps new dummies from believing Lawrence is making $500 a day then so be it. Clearly Uber is going to fight it because it messes with their "Flood the market with drivers so we can abuse them" strategy. I guess I just have an issue with it in principle because it feels invasive and unnecessary to me. Or that the city is bowing to Taxi pressure or just being ******* in general. But then....there are a lot of scumbags out there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The camera the other Uber drive had in his car is the exact same one that I purchased. It should be here Friday or Saturday. CYOA

Then again, I'm not a creep, and would NEVER take a pax to my house, no matter what.

If I need to get fingerprinted, I'll do it no problem. I have nothing to hide. I've been fingerprinted for government jobs, CCW, military, and even in Chicago on the street when my truck was vandalized (to eliminate my prints from the scene).

Now, I believe that IF this is a change since joining Uber as a "partner", then Uber should pay for it. We have enough expenses; we don't need any more!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's not that onerous. It's required to do work in schools. Cost is about $25. Uber will have to learn to abide by local regulation in every instance. Their wild west days are over. Time to put on the big boy pants and act like a real business.
It might take months to get all the ride-share drivers fingerprinted and sorted out. My drivers license and driving record should tell them anything they need to know about my driving. I'm not going to pay some bureaucrats a dime for doing nothing.

The city's top priority should be to help us get drunks off the road, not to harass ride-share drivers with time-wasting onerous paperwork. If fingerprinting was of real value, we would not have taxi drivers that suck.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
First IF drivers are required to have finger prints done. I would be all for it. It would cause many drivers to quit thus creating a higher demand for those like me who have no fear of having my finger prints on file. Mine already are :).
You're not even making any sense. Why would you want to pay good money for a fingerprint check if they already have your fingerprints on file? Go figure.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's really about public safety. Screen out as many scumbags as possible using existing processes. I don't have a problem with it.
Maybe, but fingerprinting didn't screen out most of the "scumbags" that drive taxis. I have never heard anything good said about taxi drivers from any of my passengers. All of my passengers say they feel safer riding in an Uber rather than a taxi. It's all about taxi companies putting up barriers to ride-sharing.

·
Registered
933 Posts
You're not even making any sense. Why would you want to pay good money for a fingerprint check if they already have your fingerprints on file? Go figure.
Oh I'm sorry I forgot you've smoked so much weed simple concepts don't register. Seeing as how my finger prints are already in the system I will not need to have it done again. So please explain to me and show me where I said I would pay.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
It might take months to get all the ride-share drivers fingerprinted and sorted out. My drivers license and driving record should tell them anything they need to know about my driving. I'm not going to pay some bureaucrats a dime for doing nothing.

The city's top priority should be to help us get drunks off the road, not to harass ride-share drivers with time-wasting onerous paperwork. If fingerprinting was of real value, we would not have taxi drivers that suck.
People who suck will happen. The current rate of driver onboarding is unsustainable and some limits need to be put in place or we'll be looking at $0.85 per mile at a 28% commission rate.
But hey, don't worry, I'm here to take up some of the slack because getting a fingerprint background check doesn't scare me in the least.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
To be fair, because I have been through the process with TX DPS, the cost is about $25 for a fingerprint and criminal background check and the turn around time to receive my report from the state was 24 hours.
Yep, as a Veteran & former Trooper ... my prints are on file. I welcome the tighter regulations; it might keep some of the bozos from driving and giving pax a scare. Plus as Stratos said ... my phone will start pinging more frequently.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts