Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I picked up some pax, heading to the Omni. On the way, they ask me if I had all of my permits. I thought it was an odd question, but said yes and asked why. They said earlier when they were waiting for their Uber at the Omni they were approached by a uniformed officer who asked if they were taking a taxi. They said no, Uber, and he asked if he could talk to their driver upon arrival. When the Uber got there, the cop asked him for his permits... and apparently the driver had none. The cop proceeded to write him a ticket and told the pax they could get a different ride if they wanted. Apparently they waited for the cop to finish.

I found this VERY odd since my understanding was that you only needed permits to pickup at the airport(s)... why would a cop be hastling someone at the Omni? I joked with the Pax that I hoped the cop was still there to question ME upon our arrival... but he was nowhere to be seen.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Am I misunderstanding the permit rules or did the cop cross the line? Maybe paid off my the taxi queue to scare off Uber's?

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you do not have your City of Dallas permits you cannot pick up anyone within the city limits. Now if your trip started outside of the city limits them thats ok. Serves that ant right for trying to get a trip knowing he cant. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
The Omni is just their other favorite place for a sting. They could conduct that anywhere in the city they wanted really. Though it's rare they do. Only one of the stickers on your windshield will be airport specific. They're talking about a blue card you'd carry in your wallet to be registered with Dallas. If you work with Lyft, they will cover your costs of getting all that. You could get started on signing up for both.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It always amazes me to read about uber drivers that don't know that they need permits or where they need them. That's week one. If you don't know the laws associated with uber in your market, you have no business attempting to drive for uber.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It always amazes me to read about uber drivers that don't know that they need permits or where they need them. That's week one. If you don't know the laws associated with uber in your market, you have no business attempting to drive for uber.
Or after approving your application to drive and running a criminal background Uber sends you an email or does not activate your account until you have the license....

Uber bases it's business model on 2 things.....lots of stupid people to drive for them and a CEO that has no clue what he is doing...

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Tonight I picked up some pax, heading to the Omni. On the way, they ask me if I had all of my permits. I thought it was an odd question, but said yes and asked why. They said earlier when they were waiting for their Uber at the Omni they were approached by a uniformed officer who asked if they were taking a taxi. They said no, Uber, and he asked if he could talk to their driver upon arrival. When the Uber got there, the cop asked him for his permits... and apparently the driver had none. The cop proceeded to write him a ticket and told the pax they could get a different ride if they wanted. Apparently they waited for the cop to finish.

I found this VERY odd since my understanding was that you only needed permits to pickup at the airport(s)... why would a cop be hastling someone at the Omni? I joked with the Pax that I hoped the cop was still there to question ME upon our arrival... but he was nowhere to be seen.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Am I misunderstanding the permit rules or did the cop cross the line? Maybe paid off my the taxi queue to scare off Uber's?
The transportation business is highly regulated, a lot of local governments require a lot of permits for a lot of different activities.

Its actually not very odd at all.

That's what makes Uber's quest to dominate the point to point transportation system worldwide so quixotic. Mastering all the local regulations, getting all of the required permits is a daunting task.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Omni is owned in some way by the city...hence the enforcement doesn't ire the hotel... although they could enforce pick ups anywhere in the city limits...AA Center is another periodic enforcement spot.

Uber does post the Dallas rules...but it's about 5-6 layers deep into the web site...vs on top

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I've just never heard of enforcement outside the airport, which is what struck me as being so odd. Plus I have all my permits so I don't really concern myself with what is required where.

·
Banned
412 Posts
Yo Shatner....ya got it. Reality....Dallas / Dallas County are A): A blatant money grab. B): The "Taxi Cabbal" has the Pezzovazantes (Italian:Translation:Scumbag Politician") in their pockets that are bound and determined to "Whack" scrUber and the 'Stashe. Ever hear of this BS in FW / Tarrant County? Nope! I just spent the better part of this weekend Shuttling my Peeps back and forth to DFW...Spring Break action. Very lucrative and NOBODY asking about permits!! Ain't got none and NEVER will!!

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
If a cop asked me if I was taking a taxi or Uber, I'd say "Am I being detained? Am I under arrest? Am I free to go?" in that order. I would politely, but firmly, refuse to answer any questions, consent to any searches, and refuse to produce any ID on their unlawful request. They can F smooth off.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yo Shatner....ya got it. Reality....Dallas / Dallas County are A): A blatant money grab. B): The "Taxi Cabbal" has the Pezzovazantes (Italian:Translation:Scumbag Politician") in their pockets that are bound and determined to "Whack" scrUber and the 'Stashe. Ever hear of this BS in FW / Tarrant County? Nope! I just spent the better part of this weekend Shuttling my Peeps back and forth to DFW...Spring Break action. Very lucrative and NOBODY asking about permits!! Ain't got none and NEVER will!!
Interesting how you feel that you are above having to comply with the exact same City of Dallas driver permit/vehicle decal requirements as all of the taxis, limos, and shuttles. Clearly you do not have to posess them if you only work outside Dallas or DFW Airport but a "money grab"?? That kind of regulation has been going on since the days of the jitney cars in the 1920's.

But you do what you do and bless ya for it. I'm gonna stay legal for only $60 each 2 years and not have to worry about anything.

·
Banned
412 Posts
Interesting how you feel that you are above having to comply with the exact same City of Dallas driver permit/vehicle decal requirements as all of the taxis, limos, and shuttles. Clearly you do not have to posess them if you only work outside Dallas or DFW Airport but a "money grab"?? That kind of regulation has been going on since the days of the jitney cars in the 1920's.

But you do what you do and bless ya for it. I'm gonna stay legal for only $60 each 2 years and not have to worry about anything.
Well Sir, I work Love and DFW at will and never have or will buy a "permit". I am a Private Vehicle for Hire operation. I book all transportation with my "Clients" off of Airport(s) property. When I am there, I am dropping off or picking up people; all prearranged. I do not solicit business from the general public. Folks set up account with me, I accept appointments up to two months in advance, gladly accept cash or credit and transport in two late model, spotless vans...six and a twelve passenger model. Live four minutes from North DFW entrance, approx 22-24 mins. from Love....all highway. Average 10-12 hours a week....Driving! NOT sitting in a lot somewhere waiting for a"ping". If them wheels ain't turnin'; you ain't earnin' ! Which is precisely why the TNC biz model doesn't and never will work / be profitable! All that cretin Travis is doing is burning through Other Peoples Money. Your's (that pesky 20% and the extra 15.3% self-employment tax you get stuck with) and the moronic private investors that keep throwing money at him. Thanks for the shout and Good Luck to you Sir!

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
One can get permits, and remain 100% opposed to the excessive and extraordinary regulation that accomplishes nothing for the public, only serving to feed Leviathan.

I don't judge anyone negatively for flipping the proverbial bird at the City of Dallas, or any other municipality that seeks rent from workers and entreprenuers. I say more power to 'em. Go you! #EndStatism

·
Registered
216 Posts

Yes, the law is you have to have it anywhere in Dallas. Up until now, they only enforced at airports (it's economically motivated -- the only place anyone cares because you are encroaching on ground transportation revenues). But, now, with Shipp's investigative report, they are all jumping on the law and order wagon. It gives them someone powerless to abuse. The people at the top set the example, and tell them who is powerless and is safe to slap around. This has been going on in all aspects of society since the Reagan administration -- the new "law and order". Whip the powerless for fun! It gives them a psychological outlet for aggression and keeps their anger directed away from the people who are really screwing them.

If a cop asked me if I was taking a taxi or Uber, I'd say "Am I being detained? Am I under arrest? Am I free to go?" in that order. I would politely, but firmly, refuse to answer any questions, consent to any searches, and refuse to produce any ID on their unlawful request. They can F smooth off.
The whole idea behind the rideshare industry, its business model, its tax structure, and its attitude toward employment law, is that the rider and the driver are "buddies" sharing a ride home, and the company only runs a computer which helps these "buddies" find each other (they are lost, obviously, because they are drunk or something -- "help! I've fallen and I can't find my friend to drive me home!"). If the riders really believed that, then they would simply say "I am waiting on a friend." That would fit with the business model, and might be legal, given all the rest of the deceit is being taken as legal - especially any part of it where the driver is getting screwed. The rider has to be on board with the philosophy, else you're a taxi in the eyes of the law.

They said no, Uber, and he asked if he could talk to their driver upon arrival.
This is the point where they established probable cause, and it could have been avoided by simply saying they were waiting on a friend.

·
Banned
412 Posts
That's why I maintain a "Clients" only policy. We know each other on first name basis etc. Any casual observer, Hell even a LEO would believe that I'm dropping / picking up my neighbor, Uncle, brother, sister....fill in the blank here. A variation (sorta) of your theme CG. No friggin permits, stickers, scrUber or 'Stache labels....I never draw more than a casual glance. Check this out https://www.dfwairport.com/cs/groups/webcontent/documents/webasset/p1_039369.pdf Sect. 4-3: Exemptions: (a) (2)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts