Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a ride request for a 4.70 named Phillip at a hotel across from City Hall in Philly. It’s alway a difficult pickup at this hotel because theres heavy traffic. If you try to pull into the circle, it will be clogged with cars, and you’ll have to back out into heavy traffic. If you don’t see your pax and can’t find a place to stop, you might have to drive around the block again and hope the pax shows up. And with the proximity to City Hall, there’s always a lot of people walking around. If you try to double park, cars will be beeping at you. You get the picture.

So I’m coming around the block towards the hotel, and about a 1/2 block before I get there, I see a young couple looking at me. No waving, or any indication, just looking. So I slow down and move over towards them, but still no wave. Just a blank stare. So I pull over because, if it is them, I would have to drive around the block to get back to them. I pull up in front of them, and with no other indication, they walk up and open the door. I try to confirm the guys name, but he puts his girlfriend in and walks around to the other side. So she confirms the name for him. He gets in, and I greet him, but get no response from him. I read off the address, and again, she confirms it, and no response from him.

After we start moving, he starts complaining to his girlfriend about their last driver. All about how the driver had to drive around the block 3 times to find them. And why should he have to pay $5 for that.

I was floored. I couldn’t believe he just said that. He was at the most difficult hotel pickup in the city, 1/2 block away from where he was supposed to be, didn’t wave to me when he saw me, and is only paying $5. He was very lucky I even spotted him. To top it all off, the were going over the river to Camden NJ. For those who aren’t familiar, it’s not a place where you would ever want to pick up another pax. I always dead mile it back to philly.

So I delivered them to the destination, and gave them my best “have a good night.” Still no response from him. Phillip never spoke to me once. I’m pretty sure he thought it was beneath him. So on behalf of myself, his previous driver, and all the drivers in Phillips future, I gave him a 1*. Looking back I realize I should have just kicked him out. And when he asked why, I should have told him ”for being a whiny little *****.”

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
I get a ride request for a 4.70 named Phillip at a hotel across from City Hall in Philly. It's alway a difficult pickup at this hotel because theres heavy traffic. If you try to pull into the circle, it will be clogged with cars, and you'll have to back out into heavy traffic. If you don't see your pax and can't find a place to stop, you might have to drive around the block again and hope the pax shows up. And with the proximity to City Hall, there's always a lot of people walking around. If you try to double park, cars will be beeping at you. You get the picture.

So I'm coming around the block towards the hotel, and about a 1/2 block before I get there, I see a young couple looking at me. No waving, or any indication, just looking. So I slow down and move over towards them, but still no wave. Just a blank stare. So I pull over because, if it is them, I would have to drive around the block to get back to them. I pull up in front of them, and with no other indication, they walk up and open the door. I try to confirm the guys name, but he puts his girlfriend in and walks around to the other side. So she confirms the name for him. He gets in, and I greet him, but get no response from him. I read off the address, and again, she confirms it, and no response from him.

After we start moving, he starts complaining to his girlfriend about their last driver. All about how the driver had to drive around the block 3 times to find them. And why should he have to pay $5 for that.

I was floored. I couldn't believe he just said that. He was at the most difficult hotel pickup in the city, 1/2 block away from where he was supposed to be, didn't wave to me when he saw me, and is only paying $5. He was very lucky I even spotted him. To top it all off, the were going over the river to Camden NJ. For those who aren't familiar, it's not a place where you would ever want to pick up another pax. I always dead mile it back to philly.

So I delivered them to the destination, and gave them my best "have a good night." Still no response from him. Phillip never spoke to me once. I'm pretty sure he thought it was beneath him. So on behalf of myself, his previous driver, and all the drivers in Phillips future, I gave him a 1*. Looking back I realize I should have just kicked him out. And when he asked why, I should have told him "for being a whiny little @@@@@."
Phillip sounds like a piece of work. Why that woman puts up with him, we can only speculate. He's probably not very nice to her either.

My comment to him would probably have been along the lines that it's a difficult place to pick up a rider. And if he would help drivers identify him, that's always helpful too.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phillip sounds like a piece of work. Why that woman puts up with him, we can only speculate. He's probably not very nice to her either.

My comment to him would probably have been along the lines that it's a difficult place to pick up a rider. And if he would help drivers identify him, that's always helpful too.
The conversation in the car consisted of him complaining about a variety of things, and her just blandly agreeing with him. They were going to some dress up event at the Camden Aquarium. I can't imagine either of them had a good time. He just didn't seem capable of it.

I've made many attempts to explain things to passengers, as nicely as I know how. But you can tell from their demeanor, which ones will hear what you're saying and have a nice conversation with you - and which ones will hear it only as a lecture. For those, I just complete the ride and 1*.

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,352 Posts
What even more annoying is when they do speak to you about the other driver, and won't shut up about it. When they are persistent that you...the driver have a direct connection to Dara himself.

"Well don't you have access to management?? Are you telling me you don't have a direct line to Uber? I don't believe that! You WORK for them!"

(After ride ends......gets out ......and a sneaky 1 star for you, 2nd Ant for protecting your brother from a different mother.) ?

·
Premium Member
11,551 Posts
The conversation in the car consisted of him complaining about a variety of things, and her just blandly agreeing with him. They were going to some dress up event at the Camden Aquarium. I can't imagine either of them had a good time. He just didn't seem capable of it.

I've made many attempts to explain things to passengers, as nicely as I know how. But you can tell from their demeanor, which ones will hear what you're saying and have a nice conversation with you - and which ones will hear it only as a lecture. For those, I just complete the ride and 1*.
Universe has a wonderful organizing method of restructuring ....he will be fixed.

·
Premium Member
11,676 Posts
I get a ride request for a 4.70 named Phillip at a hotel across from City Hall in Philly. It's alway a difficult pickup at this hotel because theres heavy traffic. If you try to pull into the circle, it will be clogged with cars, and you'll have to back out into heavy traffic. If you don't see your pax and can't find a place to stop, you might have to drive around the block again and hope the pax shows up. And with the proximity to City Hall, there's always a lot of people walking around. If you try to double park, cars will be beeping at you. You get the picture.

So I'm coming around the block towards the hotel, and about a 1/2 block before I get there, I see a young couple looking at me. No waving, or any indication, just looking. So I slow down and move over towards them, but still no wave. Just a blank stare. So I pull over because, if it is them, I would have to drive around the block to get back to them. I pull up in front of them, and with no other indication, they walk up and open the door. I try to confirm the guys name, but he puts his girlfriend in and walks around to the other side. So she confirms the name for him. He gets in, and I greet him, but get no response from him. I read off the address, and again, she confirms it, and no response from him.

I was floored. I couldn't believe he just said that. He was at the most difficult hotel pickup in the city, 1/2 block away from where he was supposed to be, didn't wave to me when he saw me, and is only paying $5. He was very lucky I even spotted him. To top it all off, the were going over the river to Camden NJ. For those who aren't familiar, it's not a place where you would ever want to pick up another pax. I always dead mile it back to philly.

So I delivered them to the destination, and gave them my best "have a good night." Still no response from him. Phillip never spoke to me once. I'm pretty sure he thought it was beneath him. So on behalf of myself, his previous driver, and all the drivers in Phillips future, I gave him a 1*. Looking back I realize I should have just kicked him out. And when he asked why, I should have told him "for being a whiny little @@@@@."
This is all about expectations management.

If your job was to drive a garbage truck, you probably wouldn't be saying, "Man, this truck stinks". It's a garbage truck; of course it stinks. By the same token, sometimes as rideshare drivers we also haul human garbage of all types. Don't take human garbage personally - it stinks for whoever smells it.

if you were a zookeeper and a baboon picked up one of its feces and threw it in your direction, you probably wouldn't feel aggrieved or upset by this. It's a baboon; it's what they do.

Applying this to rideshare, the human garbage pax we get don't affect me. If I need to eject, I eject and they are immediately forgotten. Or if I want their money more than I want the ejection, I complete the ride, and then forget them.

I don't mind the mutes at all. Once a pax has been identified as a mute then it means I don't have to say a single word more to them. I drop them off, they get out and off I go. They give me no courtesy and I give them none. I have no problem with that.

·
Premium Member
11,551 Posts
This is all about expectations management.

If your job was to drive a garbage truck, you probably wouldn't be saying, "Man, this truck stinks". It's a garbage truck; of course it stinks. By the same token, sometimes as rideshare drivers we also haul garbage human garbage of all types. Don't take human garbage personally - it stinks for whoever smells it.

if you were a zookeeper and a baboon picked up one of its feces and threw it in your direction, you probably wouldn't feel aggrieved by this. It's a baboon; it's what they do.

Applying this to rideshare, the human garbage pax we get don't affect me. If I need to eject, I eject and they are immediately forgotten. Or if I want their money more than I want the ejection, I complete the ride, and then forget them.

I don't mind the mutes at all. Once a pax has been identified as a mute then it means I don't have to say a single word more to them. I drop them off, they get out and off I go. They give me no courtesy and I give them none. I have no problem with that.
You no talk.
Me no talk.

I normally have classical music on

All volume goes off after one minute into ride.

·
Premium Member
63,036 Posts
What even more annoying is when they do speak to you about the other driver, and won't shut up about it. When they are persistent that you...the driver have a direct connection to Dara himself.

"Well don't you have access to management?? Are you telling me you don't have a direct line to Uber? I don't believe that! You WORK for them!"

(After ride ends......gets out ......and a sneaky 1 star for you, 2nd Ant for protecting your brother from a different mother.) ?
Tell them " I will be sure to bring it up "!

Then come here
Bring it up
We can all laugh.

·
Banned
10,021 Posts

We know his uber rating is beneath yours ?.

·
Banned
1,321 Posts
Was this at The Hilton near Spruce St.?
I hope you took 95 to the WW bridge hahaha

1 - 20 of 33 Posts