Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What percentage of your total miles logged are with Pax on-board? For tax purposes, I log my total miles each day I drive. I put these in a spreadsheet along with all my other results including miles with passenger on-board. I'm right around 50% of total miles with a paying Pax in the car. Wondering what others experience and whether my results are in the average range. I am a suburban driver, so someone who lives in the city and drives primarily in the city I would expect might have a better ratio.

·
Registered
501 Posts
For tax reasons am I suppose to keep track of pax miles and dead miles? Im new to uber this year and plan to file taxes at end of year an didn't know till I read this. So I'm asking does it matter? I was just gonna claim all the miles and what I make am deduct gas and repairs. Just curious

·
Registered
608 Posts
By tax law for deductions state you must subtract the # of miles to ur 1st pick up from you home address. And also the last drip off of the day from your home address. Please keep intricate records / daily log.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just track them all. I learned the hard way this year. Uber keeps track of your in-trip mileage, but not dead ones. I literally mapquested everything. I'm also only a very part time driver. I can only imagine what that would've been like if I did full time. It was worth it though. The dead miles is what basically makes it so there's essentially no taxes owed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In "theory" you can only deduct passenger miles beginning with the pick up. Depending on how you read the tax law, in theory, you can deduct the miles from when you accept the ride, which includes the mileage from point A (accept) to point B (the pick up) to point C, (drop off.)

You cannot deduct the miles spent driving around looking for fares ie: from point C to a new point A. If there's not a body in your back seat, you aren't getting paid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts