Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pax are such scum and think we're so stupid. They request a ride during surge and wait until you're almost there and cancel on you. Surge is gone and they request another ride and you get pinged as closest. NO SURGE>.Well i have a cure for that cheap crap. I take the ping and drive around "lost" trying to find them answering all texts and phone calls telling them i'll be there.......until the scum finally figure out and cancel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is one of the more shameful parts of the Uber model. There is no protection for the driver against people wasting their time and playing games as the OP described. When there used to be cancellation fees, this kind of thing was a lot less common.
We have cancellation fees here but they still do it. They're just smart enough to do it before 5 minutes have gone by since they requested the ride.
When it happens to me I just ignore or ACRO any subsequent request from that pax if the surge is now gone or lower than the original request.

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
Don't fall for the wrong pickup location placed a few blocks away just outside of surge, posted about this in other threads.
they almost always call you the second you arrive, and indicate they knew the pickup location was wrong, but didn't cancel and request again.

They expect you to drive to their actual location within surge, I just ask where they are and then cancel as soon as time expires.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Pax are such scum and think we're so stupid. They request a ride during surge and wait until you're almost there and cancel on you. Surge is gone and they request another ride and you get pinged as closest. NO SURGE>.Well i have a cure for that cheap crap. I take the ping and drive around "lost" trying to find them answering all texts and phone calls telling them i'll be there.......until the scum finally figure out and cancel.
How bout the 1:55 am ping that wants to come out and meet u at 2:10 am. Nightmare scenario. Always wait til 2 am or so before accepting pings. At 1:30 am u get a regular X fare, u are risking your entire night on a jerk that may take u real far, but leave u in no man's land with no chance to catch a surge after his journey. Rookie mistakes will cost you in this rideshare world.

·
Premium Member
63,040 Posts
You haven't figured it out yet? They'll also order Uber and Lyft at the same time and pull the same crap.
They will also send you to area outside of the surge,then call you and claim their app. Keeps doing this to them and they don't have a clue why.

Drive to pin drop,wait 5 minutes,cancel,collect,leave.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've not successfully worked the surge in Dallas DT except a few times; $18 ride with a 56 surge... does the ping show what the surge is... seems i noticed that once with Uber ? With Lyft; seems only after the fact?

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
I've not successfully worked the surge in Dallas DT except a few times; $18 ride with a 56 surge... does the ping show what the surge is... seems i noticed that once with Uber ? With Lyft; seems only after the fact?
Check by pressing the waybill button on the app, while you are waiting for the rider or headed to the pick up location. The surge (if any) will be shown as a lightning bolt with an x and 1.5 or 2.2 Ect......

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good to know that; i've not looked at waybill. I'm using a mounted ipad to keep my phone free; so may have to figure out where it displays ... thanks!
... but is there anything in the PING that to show surge (no surge) prior to accepting?

·
Registered
466 Posts
With Uber the surge multiplier is on the bottom right of the ping. Lyft doesn't tell you if you got a surge ride until after (which is why I don't risk it during peak times).

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Right about that sure to get close then they cancel and re ping after ten minutes surge is likely less or gone
That's why you should call them and let them know that you're 10 min away and ask them politely to be considerate and not to cancel on you ... And if they sound fishy or drunk. Don't bother going

·
Registered
45 Posts
Finally got my first decent surge. Fare was $12.64 and surge fee was $35.39 so I pocketed $36.02 on this ride going from uptown to Richardson. Not great but I'll take it.

*Young male rider asked me "hey is this ride going to charge me that extra fee or whatever" I told him "umm I don't think so". I hadn't noticed the surge symbol so I really didn't know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts