Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a ping just 3 min away. After picking him up I learned he had just gotten out of jail! (Ohhh boy, what did I just get myself into?) I was cool about it and he didn't seem to be an axe murderer or worse, but who knows?!? Anyway, I was nervous. He was in the back seat and was talking about where his impounded car was and complained he lost a day at work, etc. I think he sensed my feelings and was really nice and low keyed. I took him home and it was my best, longer trip of the day and on the interstate!
It could have ended much differently. As a female driver, I need to know how to protect myself... just in case. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Step one;
Dont assume every convict wants you or wants to hurt you.

Step two;
Treat every one as an equal human, even convicts. Dont ever judge.

Step Three;
What you say, how you act and how you treat PAX, makes a difference when it comes to your safety. YMMV

Step four:
Direct your conversation away from negative triggers, that will make PAX think about crime, regardless what PAX did in the past. Talk about sports, politics, Trump is a hot topic.

Step Five:
Be fluid at all times with PAX when it comes to convos. Learn to direct PAX towards positivity by using subliminal messages.

Step six;
If the two of you are talking, ask neutral questions. Have PAX talk about something positive.

Step Seven;
Fake it if you must, by sympathizing with PAX.

If all fails, get out of the car and run. Dont forget to grab your cell phone with you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Step one;
Dont assume every convict wants you or wants to hurt you.

Step two;
Treat every one as an equal human, even convicts. Dont ever judge.

Step Three;
What you say, how you act and how you treat PAX, makes a difference when it comes to your safety. YMMV

Step four:
Direct your conversation away from negative triggers, that will make PAX think about crime, regardless what PAX did in the past. Talk about sports, politics, Trump is a hot topic.

Step Five:
Be fluid at all times with PAX when it comes to convos. Learn to direct PAX towards positivity by using subliminal messages.

Step six;
If the two of you are talking, ask neutral questions. Have PAX talk about something positive.

Step Seven;
Fake it if you must, by sympathizing with PAX.

If all fails, get out of the car and run. Dont forget to grab your cell phone with you.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Good points! I wasn't freaked out, was perfectly calm. I was just concerned about a potential prob and how to handle it in a small car.
How do you handle sober PAX?

Reactions: Liz_C and Renaldow

·
Registered
922 Posts
Chick, you're just thinking about this now? Well, better late than never. Where you drive makes a difference - Jax vs. Miami for instance. Where are you in Florida? Know the hotspots in your city and remember that most folks are just looking for a ride. Don't show fear whatever you do, it is palpable in a confined space. Approach with your doors locked, car in gear, don't let em in if you get that funny feeling in your belly, if they are in the car and it goes south, remember, its much harder to shoot a moving target so grab your phone, scream FIRE and run like hell. ZAPP!

·
24,266 Posts
The biggest worry that most cab drivers ever had picking up at a Police station or a lockup was getting paid. You do not have that problem with Uber. Most of those are for DWI, drunk and disorderly or similar.

Here, if you get a summons/call at D.C. Jail, you might wonder, but most of those are allright. The worst worry was getting paid.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Got a ping just 3 min away. After picking him up I learned he had just gotten out of jail! (Ohhh boy, what did I just get myself into?) I was cool about it and he didn't seem to be an axe murderer or worse, but who knows?!? Anyway, I was nervous. He was in the back seat and was talking about where his impounded car was and complained he lost a day at work, etc. I think he sensed my feelings and was really nice and low keyed. I took him home and it was my best, longer trip of the day and on the interstate!
It could have ended much differently. As a female driver, I need to know how to protect myself... just in case. Any suggestions?
Everyone is not wired to transport the public, so my suggestion is,
Uninstall..... don't uber on

Some here my feel i am a total A-Hole for some of my comments,
If you are not a people person, if you think every stranger is an axe murder, if you have a thin skin, then you are not cut out to transport the public, may be you can do limo, but not bus, taxi or uber,

One of my taxi account asignments was transporting newly released inmates from the murrieta detention center, never once worried about my safety,

Don't get me wrong, i am not saying don't watch your back, in my 11 years driving taxi, I did pepper spray two passengers, so sometimes shit can happen..

·
Registered
776 Posts
Don't get me wrong, i am not saying don't watch your back, in my 11 years driving taxi, I did pepper spray two passengers, so sometimes shit can happen..
Many people have voiced opinions in other threads that using pepper spray in an enclosed space like a car would be a bad idea, because it would get to the Uber driver's face too. Can you illuminate us how you did use it ? Was it effective while at the same time not hurting you ?

·
Super Moderator
15,328 Posts
Try starting a conversation. Usually talking brings people together, especially if you have something in common.

Carry a Mag flashlight, the biggest one you can find and keep it next to you on seat, it maybe a little difficult to use inside a car but better than nothing. If you need to use it aim at attackers fingers or wrist. Don't aim at face or body, if you do the attacker will likely be able to grab the flashlight and overpower you.

The trick is to cause a lot of pain, to give you time to run away.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yup, Got great advice for you. Keep doing it and sooner or later your not going to have a pretty ending one! Checkout the New Jersey thread on this site " Blackcar driver killed by passenger on the way to the airport" The pax shot the driver in the back of the head. Try to pepper spray you're way out of that one. btw I would say the same to a male driver. Just in case anyone wants to go there.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yup, Got great advice for you. Keep doing it and sooner or later your not going to have a pretty ending one! Checkout the New Jersey thread on this site " Blackcar driver killed by passenger on the way to the airport" The pax shot the driver in the back of the head. Try to pepper spray you're way out of that one. btw I would say the same to a male driver. Just in case anyone wants to go there.
so don't be prepared, because someone can always one up you, is that your point..

For a few years in my younger days, i carred a sword on my back, yes just like in the blade movies, never worred about if someone had a gun..

·
Registered
602 Posts
so don't be prepared, because someone can always one up you, is that your point..

For a few years in my younger days, i carred a sword on my back, yes just like in the blade movies, never worred about if someone had a gun..
Wow! My point to her blew right over your head. Let me make my point simple for you . If she drives these people around long enough sooner or later something bad is going to happen. The risks of Uber driving far out weighs the minimum wage rewards. Therefore Uber diving might not be a smart decision! What the hell does a sword in your back have to do with that, unless your one of the people she could end up driving around?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts