Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all, and I'm looking for advice.

I was part of the way through a 10 min ride from one bar to another, in extremely busy Saturday night big-city traffic.

Two Pax, a couple, maybe around 30, in my backseat. She ducks her head towards his side of the car, and just then I heard the snorting of a line. I looked back as she picked her head up, and whatever they had was no longer present, so I wasn't a 100% sure. Then a minute later she's talking me up distracting me while he cranks his phone music to cover the sound, and I again hear the unmistakably sound of snorting and his head missing in my rear view mirror. Nearly immediately she chastises him for his music and "being a little kid & irritating the driver" (another cover), because they're now done. He shuts off his phone.

By now were were only several minutes from the destination bar, and somewhat unusually I stayed calm and thought it through. They sniffled and sneezed the entire remaining time.

I let them off, gave them a five rating (temporarily), and continued with my night, checking my rear seating area for contraband when I was a block down. The car was clean.

I now need some advice on approaching Uber, as well as advice on how others have handled this.

I'm going to request Uber:

1] Re-rate them 1 star.

2] Never pair me again.

3] Remove them from the system.

I'm going to be very direct with my accusations against them.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Dash cam and report. Get those m-fers banned. I don't usually care who does what but when it affects others around them is where I draw the line.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dash cam and report. Get those m-fers banned. I don't usually care who does what but when it affects others around them is where I draw the line.
Several weeks ago I decided I *wanted* a dash cam. Reading some threads here a week ago, convinced me I *needed* a dash cam. Yesterday taught me to *order* one ASAP!

Been driving 2 mos, but this was my first week doing after midnight. It's a totally different animal than my usual weekday rushes and airport runs!

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
It sucks that these pax put us in a position where we can get in legal trouble. I hope Uber removes them but they'll probably just find a way to get another account.

You take them to the police station and get them arrested
I wouldn't do that unless you want to get murdered by your passenger.

Even if your passenger doesn't kill you, your admission may give the cops probable cause to search your car for those drugs. And if they find some of that cocaine on your floor they might seize your car (or your tip jar) under Civil Asset Forfeiture Law or even charge you criminally.

I'd vacuum out your car VERY well.

Even then your car might set off an honest drug dog. Although my suspicion is most dogs will go off at the signal of their handler anyway even if there are no drugs.

·
Premium Member
63,121 Posts
The title says it all, and I'm looking for advice.

I was part of the way through a 10 min ride from one bar to another, in extremely busy Saturday night big-city traffic.

Two Pax, a couple, maybe around 30, in my backseat. She ducks her head towards his side of the car, and just then I heard the snorting of a line. I looked back as she picked her head up, and whatever they had was no longer present, so I wasn't a 100% sure. Then a minute later she's talking me up distracting me while he cranks his phone music to cover the sound, and I again hear the unmistakably sound of snorting and his head missing in my rear view mirror. Nearly immediately she chastises him for his music and "being a little kid & irritating the driver" (another cover), because they're now done. He shuts off his phone.

By now were were only several minutes from the destination bar, and somewhat unusually I stayed calm and thought it through. They sniffled and sneezed the entire remaining time.

I let them off, gave them a five rating (temporarily), and continued with my night, checking my rear seating area for contraband when I was a block down. The car was clean.

I now need some advice on approaching Uber, as well as advice on how others have handled this.

I'm going to request Uber:

1] Re-rate them 1 star.

2] Never pair me again.

3] Remove them from the system.

I'm going to be very direct with my accusations against them.

Any advice?
NEVER HAPPENED !

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Dash cam. There's nothing stopping the cops from impounding your car and arresting you if there are drugs in the car. Most cops would be decent enough to know you didn't have anything to do with it but there are always those few hard cases. And who knows what the pax might say if they got busted? Maybe they try to cut a deal by saying they got it from you.

It should be easier to get pax like that banned. The rating system is one of those things that doesn't scale well in Uber.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I picked up a pretty young mother and her 8 year old son once. Dropped him off at daycare and drove her to a part of town she didn't seem to fit in. She was very talkative and kept sniffing all though it didn't seem she had a cold.
I did notice once she ducked her head down behind the seat and sniffed again.
She was very nice, we talked the whole way (she was talkative. ;) ) and she gave me a $20 cash tip for a $12 fare.

I didn't mind and can't prove what I suspect.
I'd be more than happy to give her another ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What is this concept of "temporarily rating them 5 stars?" Pretty sure help says you're stuck with whatever rating you give a passenger.

FWIW, you do drugs in my car, you're getting 1 star and immediately kicked out of my car.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is this concept of "temporarily rating them 5 stars?" Pretty sure help says you're stuck with whatever rating you give a passenger.

FWIW, you do drugs in my car, you're getting 1 star and immediately kicked out of my car.
I didn't want them to '1' me, and get double burned for their bad behavior.

There's a field to change your pax rating: Help / Rider Feedback / Change My Rider Feedback

So, a quick follow-up -

I complained, and received what seems like a personalized written response w/i 20 mins. I complained via "report a serious incident".

Uber claims:

1] Drug use is never allowed.

2] They will never pair me up with this pax again.

3] They are "evaluating this rider's access to the system".

No idea what this means in reality, but it's time to move-on. I just got my new dashcam (with passenger cabin infra-red lighting!) today, and found some "video-audio surveillance" stickers to print-up and put on my car.

That cam and those stickers will be in place before the weekend rounds. This was a wake-up call. I feel calmer and more protected already!

I want to thank everyone for contributing.

C'ya' on the road ...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would agree that you are likely to get more scrutiny than they are if you go to the police. If you had some hard evidence: obvious video, they left some in your car, that kind of thing that is worthy of an investigation, I would go. But I would look at the video to make sure it showed something obvious.

My next door neighbor was t-boned by someone who ran a red light at extremely high speed. Luckily they hit the passenger side or he would likely not be with us. Who did they arrest? My neighbor because they said he smelled like alcohol. I was there and only smelled his cologne. He is a workout fanatic who doesn't drink and this was the middle of the day. At midnight they let him go having never charged him with anything and never given him a breathalyzer.

Only bring the police in when you need help that only they can help with or you have solid evidence. They make mistakes and it can spiral out of control quickly.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would agree that you are likely to get more scrutiny than they are if you go to the police. If you had some hard evidence: obvious video, they left some in your car, that kind of thing that is worthy of an investigation, I would go. But I would look at the video to make sure it showed something obvious.

My next door neighbor was t-boned by someone who ran a red light at extremely high speed. Luckily they hit the passenger side or he would likely not be with us. Who did they arrest? My neighbor because they said he smelled like alcohol. I was there and only smelled his cologne. He is a workout fanatic who doesn't drink and this was the middle of the day. At midnight they let him go having never charged him with anything and never given him a breathalyzer.

Only bring the police in when you need help that only they can help with or you have solid evidence. They make mistakes and it can spiral out of control quickly.
I never had any desire to bring the police into it. I just never want them in my car again, and want them out of the system. I accomplished the former, and I believe video evidence supplied to Uber would have given me a reasonable shot of accomplishing the latter (getting them deactivated), if any was available.

I did formulate a plan for next time, though:

1] Stay calm and clearheaded!

2] Pull over to a safe well-lit, well-occupied spot, where it's safe for my pax to exit and remain - hopefully with many bystanders.

3] Shut-off the car, and exit taking my phone and keys, leaving the dashcam running.

4] Open the pax door, step back away, and inform the pax their ride is over, and they need to exit my car to find alternative transport due to their narcotics use - perhaps another Uber.

5] Keep my distance, don't argue, but insist at this point all I'm asking is they leave my vehicle and find alternate transport.

6] All else fails, keep my distance while calling 911. I highly doubt dopers, when holding, will let it get to #6.

7] Drive a block away, check my car for any contraband.

8] Report them immediately to Uber, offering to supply dashcam footage if required.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.