Uber Drivers Forum banner

Pax contacts Uber for a $2.76 price adjustment

1K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Zubera 
#1 ·
Money is money but going back and fourth with Uber through emails over $2.76 is a new low for some of these pax... She could've just asked me for the 3 lousy bucks and I would've gave it to her.

#10 ·
Next time you miss an exit or make a mistake, just end the trip a little sooner and tell the pax that was to make up for your mistake. Chances are, you are going to get paid the same with all this upfront charges anyways.
This is exactly what I do. Happened at LGA the other day... the sign for Terminal B wasn't so clear. I ended and made sure to let them know, so they won't think I'm taking advantage of them.

Today, my pax called Uber for price adjustment... funny story:

Picked her up at 158th ST. She wanted to go downtown (like near Wall St). Turned on 138th to get to West Side Hwy. After turning, we noticed 4 cars not moving because of a garbage truck picking up trash. 2 minutes later, she got impatient and said "Let me out here." I advised that the garbage truck would be out of the way in 1-2 min. and we'd be on the highway. She said, "No, I don't wanna pay $40 and be stuck in traffic." She exited and slammed the door! I was like this is going to be a 1-star (I should have asked her to cancel on her device). Hours later, I get a fare adj. from $10.50 to $0.00.

I emailed Uber and told them what happened. They reversed the adj. and gave me the fare. I told them I don't mind her getting a refund but if she had an opp to rate me then I deserve to be paid for the distance she rode in my car.

#11 ·
This is exactly what I do. Happened at LGA the other day... the sign for Terminal B wasn't so clear. I ended and made sure to let them know, so they won't think I'm taking advantage of them.

Picked her up at 158th ST. She wanted to go downtown (like near Wall St). Turned on 138th to get to West Side Hwy. After turning, we noticed 4 cars not moving because of a garbage truck picking up trash. 2 minutes later, she got impatient and said "Let me out here." I advised that the garbage truck would be out of the way in 1-2 min. and we'd be on the highway. She said, "No, I don't wanna pay $40 and be stuck in traffic." She exited and slammed the door! I was like this is going to be a 1-star (I should have asked her to cancel on her device). Hours later, I get a fare adj. from $10.50 to $0.00.

I emailed Uber and told them what happened. They reversed the adj. and gave me the fare. I told them I don't mind her getting a refund but if she had an opp to rate me then I deserve to be paid for the distance she rode in my car.
I hate people like her. We need to have an option to charge them for slaming the door too.

#13 ·

How the hell your fare from 158th to 138th (don't know of any 9A entries there) was $10.50 ?

#15 ·
Next time you miss an exit or make a mistake, just end the trip a little sooner and tell the pax that was to make up for your mistake. Chances are, you are going to get paid the same with all this upfront charges anyways.
If you miss an exit in nyc ok, it's a mistake, but out of the city line, it's not a problem cause you're not supposed know.
Happened to me with a pax to south jersey, and my phone blocked, i asked him for directions he said i must know the way, i said i am a nyc licenced driver, if you want i can end the trip and you request a nj driver who is supposed to know this area. He shut up and i drove gim to his destination after i restarted my phone.

#16 ·
OR...you could have just given her the three bucks BEFORE hand OR, in the rare times i miss an exit, explain to pax that it was your fault and GPS says it the ride will now take (5 mins longer for example), and then explain to rider you will end the ride 6 mins early to compensate for your error. Pax will understand and you still may get 4 stars as opposed to 1,2,or 3 stars. But dude let me be clear, the rider supposed to be adjusted when the driver makes a mistake.

#17 ·
Last time i checked pax was charge same rate no matter the route. I have confirmed this with pax all the time
The algorithm seems to have Uber's best interest built into it. Meaning if base + time + distance is less than the flat fare shown, Uber will charge the flat fare shown and pocket the difference. However, if the base + time + distance ends up exceeding the flat fare shown, Uber will re-adjust the rider's final total to make sure Uber was compensated in full.

#19 ·
A lot of people haven't even checked with passenger whats going with the fare and they keep saying the fare does not change. If the driver fare comes close to rider fare the fare changes only times i have seen it not change is airport fares below one hr or the 2.99 and 5.99 prepaid rides short rides. i had a 5.99 x ride from bronx this morning to momofuku east village. the rider got charged 63.54 cents i got paid 29.15 with toll. His recipt showed a 1.6 surge mine showed none i sent a copy of my receipt he said he was going send me his hopefully he does

#21 ·
Money is money but going back and fourth with Uber through emails over $2.76 is a new low for some of these pax...
The biggest arguments over small price adjustments occur in the Bargain Basement. I've been behind people at Wal-mart disputing as to whether a can of beans should be 75 cents or 79. You don't see these kinds of disputes as often at Nordstrom's or Whole Foods.

The facts are, Uber is the bargain basement leader in transportation, just like the Bentonville outfit is in general retail, and you got to expect this kind of thing.

#23 ·
It was totally my fault I took her 1.5 miles out her way by missing an exit. It's just funny how someone would go through back and fourth emails with Uber over couch change.
If I make a mistake I just tell the rider "No worries, that'll add about 86 cents (or whatever I figure it would add) to the trip. Just take it off my tip."

I haven't had a fare adjustment yet. I think it makes them realize how silly it would be. I've actually had a couple folks tip me after I accidentally long hauled them.

I don't make many mistakes though. Now I'm thinking maybe I should...it's never hurt my rating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.