Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked a Pax at South Loop going for a 3 miles, 15 mins ride on 50% PT. Pax gets in and say "Is it really $16 bucks". I answered I am not sure, I don't get to know the price till I drop you.

So what is the best response in that situation?
I assume Pax doesn't care how much I am getting and what percent I get screwed, they just need to have cheap ride, regardless of who pockets the money. I read opinions here how drivers insist to educate pax about the low cut, and how Uber screw us, PAX doesn't have to care about all of that. It's like hiring graphic designer via Freelancer and get complaints from him about how much he got paid and what's the cut of the website/platform. There is always a way to arrange the work under the table out of the website just as taking pax with app off, but then in both cases there is a risk of deactivation.

The ride I had with the complaining pax was about 3 miles and cost almost $17, I got paid $9. What do you tell to this folks without being rude I also read somewhere talking with pax about sensitive topics like that could get you in trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I tell them "It used to be that Uber / Lyft had set rates and paid drivers 75% minus some fees (it was 75 or 80 but no need to confuse them) so I would be able to tell approx how much they charged you. But that isn't the case anymore and what they pay me and what they charge you is no longer related. Sometimes they keep half - sometimes less and sometimes a lot more." This is non-threatening, simple and lets them know that you are not making $12 on that ride.

Its actually a great opportunity to introduce them to Pool and Express Pool. Let them know they can save money and I bet you get a nice tip for the advice :)
Blahahahaha! Gotta love the bot!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I tell them "It used to be that Uber / Lyft had set rates and paid drivers 75% minus some fees (it was 75 or 80 but no need to confuse them) so I would be able to tell approx how much they charged you. But that isn't the case anymore and what they pay me and what they charge you is no longer related. Sometimes they keep half - sometimes less and sometimes a lot more." This is non-threatening, simple and lets them know that you are not making $12 on that ride.

Blahahahaha! Gotta love the bot!
Yeah, if a pax initiates a conversation about the prices, this is what I tell them.

I didn't weigh in on that other thread, but absolutely, if a pax brings up the fares I'm going to tell them that what they pay Uber frequently has no relation to what the driver receives. Even recently I've had pax ask me, "so you get 75%, right?" I wish, lol

I strive not to come off as whiny or Uber-bashing but I do want them to have the facts :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Picked a Pax at South Loop going for a 3 miles, 15 mins ride on 50% PT. Pax gets in and say "Is it really $16 bucks". I answered I am not sure, I don't get to know the price till I drop you.

So what is the best response in that situation?
I assume Pax doesn't care how much I am getting and what percent I get screwed, they just need to have cheap ride, regardless of who pockets the money. I read opinions here how drivers insist to educate pax about the low cut, and how Uber screw us, PAX doesn't have to care about all of that. It's like hiring graphic designer via Freelancer and get complaints from him about how much he got paid and what's the cut of the website/platform. There is always a way to arrange the work under the table out of the website just as taking pax with app off, but then in both cases there is a risk of deactivation.

The ride I had with the complaining pax was about 3 miles and cost almost $17, I got paid $9. What do you tell to this folks without being rude I also read somewhere talking with pax about sensitive topics like that could get you in trouble.
I rarely get such pax, I tell them that the driver gets less than 50% of the amount and they should try pool/line.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tell them the truth. We have no idea of the charge the rider is paying and that the driver only gets a set mileage and time rate. Also point out that the city charges 65 cents for every ride plus $5.00 for drop offs and pick ups at McCormick, Navy Pier and the two airports.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yeah, if a pax initiates a conversation about the prices, this is what I tell them.

I didn't weigh in on that other thread, but absolutely, if a pax brings up the fares I'm going to tell them that what they pay Uber frequently has no relation to what the driver receives. Even recently I've had pax ask me, "so you get 75%, right?" I wish, lol

I strive not to come off as whiny or Uber-bashing but I do want them to have the facts :)
I let them know a driver gets $.75 a mile and $.15 per minute. That's it! Regardless of what they heard, that is the current driver pay. And if there is a surge, the driver may get 1/2 of what the surge is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts