Uber Drivers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought, maybe I could try doing pool rides again as long as it was still daylight.
Wrooooong

I get a pool request - guys name, then another, girls name added - and quickly another, girl named Grace (Oh the irony)
I pull up to the pin for Grace and send the "I have arrived notice". After about a minute, Grace Cancels. I start out for the next rider, and immediately get another ping for Grace, on the other side of the block this time. I pull up to her new location, and send out the "I have arrived" message again. It's heavy traffic in Philly and the original request by the guy gets canceled. I guess he was tired of waiting. The timer runs out for Grace. I don't know what's going on with her, but this is the second time she has not responded. On an X ride, I might give a phone call, but with all this hassle I decide to just cancel. Wouldn't you know it, just that second she walks up to the car and says hi. I look at her kind of dumb founded and say "are you Grace?" She says yes I am. I tell her I just canceled her. I asked her why she canceled the first request, and why she did't respond to my messages. Her reply was that she was where she was supposed to be and it was all on me. I don't get how it's all on me, if she canceled and didn't respond. And then she says - "You're going to pay for that [N-word).
Now, I'm a white guy. I tried to laugh it off, but I guess you don't realize how offensive it is until someone actually uses it against you. And Grace was white as well, which makes me wonder how accustomed she is to using that word if it rolled out of her mouth that easy.

So I head out to my other pax, and dam if I don't get another request from Grace. I know dam well she's just looking to make trouble with me so I cancel her, and turn off future requests. After the pool ride was over I decided to report it to Uber, and they seemed to take it pretty seriously. I just called to have her blocked from requesting me in the future. They said they were going to do an investigation. I have dashcam video, but I don't think they ever look at that stuff, and they didn't ask for it.

No more pool rides.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Uber probably will not look at the video, but be sure you let them know you have it. They will, and should, investigate the incident because of the racial slur she used.

Also, if you take pool requests for some reason, follow the rules.
  1. Drive to the designated pickup point.
  2. They have two minutes (NOT 2:05) to get in your car. Don't even think about texting them or calling them.
  3. If they are not in your car, cancel no-show. In many cases, the cancellation fee will be more than you would have made from the ride.
This strategy is especially important during busy times and in busy places like your situation.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My acquaintances here in the Beerwaukee area, being white, latino, or black often use the N word randomly to their friends. It's actually a term of family when used this way. This particular set of friends I know from being a sportbike/motorcycle enthusiast, as are they.

While I fully respect your right to be offended, even it wasn't too nasty (or her), I'd have just shrugged it off and moved on, which you did anyways.

·
Banned
296 Posts
So I thought, maybe I could try doing pool rides again as long as it was still daylight.
Wrooooong

I get a pool request - guys name, then another, girls name added - and quickly another, girl named Grace (Oh the irony)
I pull up to the pin for Grace and send the "I have arrived notice". After about a minute, Grace Cancels. I start out for the next rider, and immediately get another ping for Grace, on the other side of the block this time. I pull up to her new location, and send out the "I have arrived" message again. It's heavy traffic in Philly and the original request by the guy gets canceled. I guess he was tired of waiting. The timer runs out for Grace. I don't know what's going on with her, but this is the second time she has not responded. On an X ride, I might give a phone call, but with all this hassle I decide to just cancel. Wouldn't you know it, just that second she walks up to the car and says hi. I look at her kind of dumb founded and say "are you Grace?" She says yes I am. I tell her I just canceled her. I asked her why she canceled the first request, and why she did't respond to my messages. Her reply was that she was where she was supposed to be and it was all on me. I don't get how it's all on me, if she canceled and didn't respond. And then she says - "You're going to pay for that [N-word).
Now, I'm a white guy. I tried to laugh it off, but I guess you don't realize how offensive it is until someone actually uses it against you. And Grace was white as well, which makes me wonder how accustomed she is to using that word if it rolled out of her mouth that easy.

So I head out to my other pax, and dam if I don't get another request from Grace. I know dam well she's just looking to make trouble with me so I cancel her, and turn off future requests. After the pool ride was over I decided to report it to Uber, and they seemed to take it pretty seriously. I just called to have her blocked from requesting me in the future. They said they were going to do an investigation. I have dashcam video, but I don't think they ever look at that stuff, and they didn't ask for it.

No more pool rides.
Judging from ur side of the story
Grace will probably claim u were drunk or car smelled like pot or u pulled a gun on her and she feared for her safety
Like u said, uber doesn't review dash cam events
Maybe Greenlight will

·
7,195 Posts
Hi everyone. I've been called racial names by pax....pax with a friend who almost puked in my Bimmer. I 1*'d them and moved on with my life.

What may be common parlance / street language is inappropriate for a business transaction. Let's take the high road and treat pax with respect, and shrug off / report appropriately the ones that don't reciprocate.

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
Hi everyone. I've been called racial names by pax....pax with a friend who almost puked in my Bimmer. I 1*'d them and moved on with my life.

What may be common parlance / street language is inappropriate for a business transaction. Let's take the high road and treat pax with respect, and shrug off / report appropriately the ones that don't reciprocate.
Hi everyone?

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
Yes, I was greeting the posters in this thread. You know, out of courtesy.
lol sounded odd.
But hello MadTownUberD!

And Grace was white as well, which makes me wonder how accustomed she is to using that word if it rolled out of her mouth that easy.
Probably a lot. But never to an actual black person.

Rachel Dolezal, white woman who identifies as black, now jobless
She's still hoping to one day be "insulted" with that word

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.