Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to kick them out. Especially if they have an attitude and don't even know what planet they are on let alone capable of advising a better route than the GPS.

It's been epidemic.

If they really believe they are being ripped off for 12 cents then they need to learn the proper recourse which is to request a fare review through the app. Not run your mouth at the driver, if you do that it's going to get you nowhere... you'll be on the curb. I'm a native of the city of this particular market so if you think I have poor knowledge of the city/roads then god help 99% of the other drivers in Atlanta who just moved here yesterday.

·
25,810 Posts
They have done this on metered cabs for years. They wait until you are committed to a route, then start arguing with you. It is an attempt to chisel the fare, that is all.

If you ask them what route they would have preferred, they will give you a vague answer, such as "I don't know, but I know the way you're going isn't the right one".

If they start it with me, cab or UberX car, I tell them that they had an opportunity to tell me the route that they wanted when they boarded the vehicle. Since they did not take that opportunity, I just drove and used the route that I knew to be the best or the one on the GPS. I add that I have been around a little too long to be taken in by that nonsense and that I know that all that they are trying to do is chisel the fare. If they do not want to pay the fare, they should use an alternate means of transportation that might have a fare more to their liking. I then ask if they would like me to stop the vehicle in the next safe place so that they can exit it and find another means of transportation or do they want me to finish the trip.

If they want to get out, I oblige them. If they want to continue, I tell them that I will, but, if I hear any more from them, I will end the trip. I do tell them that they can direct me for the duration of the trip, but they will do so in a civil manner and without comment.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
This one woman asked me could I adjust the fare because I took a mile detour around some construction that Waze marked. Of course, she didn't mention her brilliant detour until afterwards.

Another guy from Hoboken protested my route back to his house in Lodi because it involved taking tolls. This was after he vaped the worst smelling vape fluid in the world with the windows up without asking. We got to his house toll free, not a single acknowledgement.

·
Banned
2,280 Posts
I'm going to kick them out. Especially if they have an attitude and don't even know what planet they are on let alone capable of advising a better route than the GPS.

It's been epidemic.

If they really believe they are being ripped off for 12 cents then they need to learn the proper recourse which is to request a fare review through the app. Not run your mouth at the driver, if you do that it's going to get you nowhere... you'll be on the curb. I'm a native of the city of this particular market so if you think I have poor knowledge of the city/roads then god help 99% of the other drivers in Atlanta who just moved here yesterday.
I thought we in California have the exclusive here of the idiot crowd.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I pad miles extensively & my rating has been going up. :cool:

Reactions: tohunt4me

·
Registered
216 Posts
Had this a few times.

Yesterday a woman requests a ride facing southwest but need to travel northeast. No u turns or anything. 5 minutes later she tells me she's in a rush and I'm taking too long. She was in the car for 8 minutes total.

Had another who told me I took the longest route. Took 15 minutes but this chick said it was the longest side. GPS said 20 minutes so I'm lost on her.

Either way I gave out 1*

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I've never been accused of going the long way, but I have had passengers want to give me turn by turn directions to get across the town I've lived in for 8 years. Annoying.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
This one woman asked me could I adjust the fare because I took a mile detour around some construction that Waze marked. Of course, she didn't mention her brilliant detour until afterwards.

Another guy from Hoboken protested my route back to his house in Lodi because it involved taking tolls. This was after he vaped the worst smelling vape fluid in the world with the windows up without asking. We got to his house toll free, not a single acknowledgement.
Uber is moving towards providing upfront (fixed and guaranteed) fares. In my market, all fares are upfront if the pickup spot and destination are unchanged during a ride request. This means that a driver taking the (allegedly) long route (intentionally or accidentally) is irrelevant and won't cost the rider extra money. It means there is no additional cost to the rider if a driver was forced to take a detour, the road is blocked due to construction, etc. but the driver is still paid extra.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Uber is moving towards providing up front (fixed and guaranteed) fares. In my market, all fares are up front if the pickup spot and destination are unchanged during a ride request. This means that a driver taking the (allegedly) long route (intentionally or accidentally) is irrelevant and won't cost the rider extra money. It means there is no additional cost if a driver was forced to take a detour, the road is blocked due to construction, etc.
This wont work for many reaons ( heavy traffic, passanger asks to make a quick stop...etc) do you think drivers are not gonna fight this... we get paid pennies on the dollar and it makes me crazy thinking how cheap people got to the point where they fight and argue for pennies now days. Please bring back the cab companies for a year to teach these arrogant bastards what it used to be like... maybe , just maybe they will start appreciating what we do a little more and quit acting like we're getting rich out of this hobby :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
This wont work for many reaons ( heavy traffic, passanger asks to make a quick stop...etc) do you think drivers are not gonna fight this... we get paid pennies on the dollar and it makes me crazy thinking how cheap people got to the point where they fight and argue for pennies now days. Please bring back the cab companies for a year to teach these arrogant bastards what it used to be like... maybe , just maybe they will start appreciating what we do a little more and quit acting like we're getting rich out of this hobby :)
Re: upfront, fixed fares

You completely misunderstand how valuable this feature is for drivers. Drivers are still paid actual time and distance for trips that have a fixed cost offered to riders. If a driver takes longer because he had to take a detour, got stuck in traffic, or for other reasons, the rider isn't charged extra, so there's no need to ask Uber for a fare reduction. Meanwhile, the driver gets paid for the extra driving distance and time if there is any. Everyone wins.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You completely misunderstand how valuable this feature is for drivers. Drivers are still paid actual time and distance for trips that have a fixed cost offered to riders. If a driver takes longer because he had to take a detour, got stuck in traffic, or for other reasons, the rider isn't charged extra, so there's no need to ask Uber for a fare reduction. Meanwhile, the driver gets paid for the extra driving distance and time. Everyone wins.
Your wording here (fixed and guaranteed) does not pertain to transportation as we use (flat rates and min fare) doesnt sound like you are being real clear and your explanation just made your previous post very vague

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Your wording here (fixed and guaranteed) does not pertain to transportation as we use (flat rates and min fare) doesnt sound like you are being real clear and your explanation just made your previous post very vague
Re: upfront fares on UberX, Uberpool, etc.

What is it you think I am being unclear about? With what Uber calls "upfront fares", they are agreeing to a fixed cost for passengers going from their pickup spot to their destination. Uber estimates time and distance before offering the fare, and they eat it to the extent they are wrong. For example, if the fare is guaranteed to the rider at $5.50 but the fare would otherwise be $8.00 based on actual time and distance, the driver's compensation is calculated based on $8.00.

Another thing...passengers who change the final destination during the trip lose the fixed cost they were given when they made the trip request.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Nope. The drivers actually eat the differences. That's what happened to my Uber Eats trips - during peak travel hours, I have used Google Maps to see the different alternatives I can take to a route. Uber Eats is only paid by distance and not time here. I have taken routes that go a shorter time but a longer distance to beat congestion, but I'm only paid for the shorter distance (even if that shorter distance were to add on 20 min).

What is it you think I am being unclear about? With what Uber calls "upfront fares", they are agreeing to a fixed cost for passengers going from their pickup spot to their destination. Uber estimates time and distance before offering the fare, and they eat it to the extent they are wrong. For example, if the fare is guaranteed to the rider at $5.50 but the fare would otherwise be $8.00 based on actual time and distance, the driver's compensation is calculated based on $8.00.

Another thing...passengers who change the final destination during the trip lose the fixed cost they were given when they made the trip request.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Don't do uber eats, get a real job delivering food. You will get hourly, gas & tips.

Reactions: Smokenburn

·
Registered
186 Posts
They have done this on metered cabs for years. They wait until you are committed to a route, then start arguing with you. It is an attempt to chisel the fare, that is all.

If you ask them what route they would have preferred, they will give you a vague answer, such as "I don't know, but I know the way you're going isn't the right one".

If they start it with me, cab or UberX car, I tell them that they had an opportunity to tell me the route that they wanted when they boarded the vehicle. Since they did not take that opportunity, I just drove and used the route that I knew to be the best or the one on the GPS. I add that I have been around a little too long to be taken in by that nonsense and that I know that all that they are trying to do is chisel the fare. If they do not want to pay the fare, they should use an alternate means of transportation that might have a fare more to their liking. I then ask if they would like me to stop the vehicle in the next safe place so that they can exit it and find another means of transportation or do they want me to finish the trip.

If they want to get out, I oblige them. If they want to continue, I tell them that I will, but, if I hear any more from them, I will end the trip. I do tell them that they can direct me for the duration of the trip, but they will do so in a civil manner and without comment.
with over 1.4 million miles commercial Livery For Hire Driving Experience: yes, customers try this all the time! the best advice is to ask prior to starting the trip and charging them is: do you want to go a preferred route such as: fast, cheap, Scenic? you would be amazed some actually choose the long Route. you never know if you don't ask !
Dan Dan the driving man
St Louis Missouri

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Nope. The drivers actually eat the differences. That's what happened to my Uber Eats trips - during peak travel hours, I have used Google Maps to see the different alternatives I can take to a route. Uber Eats is only paid by distance and not time here. I have taken routes that go a shorter time but a longer distance to beat congestion, but I'm only paid for the shorter distance (even if that shorter distance were to add on 20 min).
The exception doesn't disprove the rule. I was talking about upfront fares for Uber's primary transportation options such as UberX, Uberpool, etc. These options all involve passengers. UberEats does not.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts