Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving for a couple months, and I've been hearing this more often lately. The passengers always say they are not supposed to tip which we all know is an intended misinterpretation set forth by uber.

what is your response to these comments without sounding like a greedy ******* to your passengers?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never heard this from any of my pax's but I don't bring up tipping as a topic. Seems a little odd they would if they weren't planning on it. I always say "I won't argue with someone who wants to tip, cause In the south, that's impolite". And I thank them.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I had one of those rare pickups last night...

Wrong pin location...
Called at 1:30 left on timer...
First time user...

I found him and before the ride started, he handed me a tip and I saw that it was at least a $5. Minimum fare, much appreciated.
What surprised me was that he said before he requested, he did a quote and felt the amount wasn't adequate. We had a discussion during the $10 fare(XL) and I thanked him and told him "tips are always appreciated...even for a short ride. You can't do it through the app and thanks for recognizing the low fare."
I thought is was $6 or $10...when i got home, it was $15! He was probably 22.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Despite my 4.91 rating, I rarely get tips. I'm kind of fine with it because I knew the deal when I signed up. I expected uber to take better care of me as was advertised though.

Anyway, it's pretty common for a couple or a few friends to be in the back and one will pull out a couple of dollars to tip with. One of the others will immediately tell them that you don't tip with uber and make them put it away.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Despite my 4.91 rating, I rarely get tips. I'm kind of fine with it because I knew the deal when I signed up. I expected uber to take better care of me as was advertised though.

Anyway, it's pretty common for a couple or a few friends to be in the back and one will pull out a couple of dollars to tip with. One of the others will immediately tell them that you don't tip with uber and make them put it away.
I have heard "Should I tip?".... "No he is doing his Uber Thing".

·
Registered
157 Posts

Do you pipe up and say that tips are not expected but if they wish to, you would appreciate it? I totally would.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't because I really don't think that customers, who have been told that the tip is build in, should have to listen to me about it. I think uber should charge a fair rate. The only reason I'm starting to care about tips as anything other than an occasional nice bonus is because of the ridiculously low rates.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
I've had pax's complain about not being able to add it from the app, cause they don't have cash. And I just tell them the thought it what counts. ;)
I tell them I have a square reader because I know most people dont carry cash anymore. I even add that if it weren't for my cash tips I probably wouldn't have cash either (hint: other folks have tipped). They still rarely tip. But at least they don't take their time getting out of the car at the end of the trip. They can't wait to leave!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think in some markets tipping is more common than here in Austin. 9 out of 10 tips I receive come from out of owners. I rarely receive a tip from locals, (ESPECIALLY the fkg students) and quite often hear that comment "the tip is included, right?" or the real insult, "hey man, 5 stars for you!" I have no patience for that bullshit and promptly but politely inform them that stars don't do anything for me, and that tipping is NOT "included" but they are not required to tip. I will be polite no matter what but if I go out of my way for a pax in any form and don't get a tip, I slam them with 1 or 2 stars. One Sat night I had a guy call me 5 min after dropping him off to tell me he left his phone in my car. The city was surging majorly for some reason that night, but I had to turn around and go back to him. He came down empty handed, thanked me profusely and said, "I am totally giving you the MOST stars possible!!" lol. I looked right at him and said, "listen dude, the city right now is surging at 2.6, I had to shut my meter off to bring this to you because you forgot it, and stars don't put a dime in my pocket." Within batting an eye he said, "hold on", ran into his house, and came out with $30. Once in a blue moon the pax do it right, but I find it "pays" to educate them on it, and that can be done without shaming them. I think. ;-) Fkg Uber PR.

·
Banned
276 Posts
The bottom line is that this is about the reinforcement of habits that Uber has created on our behalf. Even if the average person would have tipped or would be happy to have tipped, he has been told not to tip by Uber and then that message has been reinforced in other literature or advertisements, etc. Once someone sees a particular message enough they become reeducated and they believe what they are being told. It's the same power of reinforcement that sells millions of shitty Happy Meals for McDonalds every year. This is 100% on Uber and one of the worst examples of creating a policy that has VERY LITTLE to do with their product's success but A LOT to do with our profitability. We aren't asking for them to promote tipping....just stop saying to NOT tip. Don't really think that's too much to ask in the face of the rate decreases as it costs them absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
But I tell my pax that " Travis k doesn't like tipping culture , a billionaire doesn't like to tip. Tips aren't required but I'm allowed to accept them"

·
Banned
276 Posts
  1. everyone wants tipping in the app, but it's not part of it right now
  2. comical reasons...it's a funny gif
Doesn't matter. It is a viable topic, especially with the Cali thing and with our potentially going to Uber to ask for fairness here in Austin. I guess I just don't see the need for the sarcastic negativity.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Doesn't matter. It is a viable topic, especially with the Cali thing and with our potentially going to Uber to ask for fairness here in Austin. I guess I just don't see the need for the sarcastic negativity.
Thanks for your input. Maybe you should be a moderator. FYI, "member" I am one of the least negative "well-known members" on this forum

1 - 20 of 90 Posts