Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't worry about ratings unless it is really low. What does the rating mean? We all give ratings on our scale so it really doesn't mean anything. I may give a rider a 4 or 5 when you would give them a 3 or 4. So I have a hard time giving the rating system much faith.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
This time of the year it is slow for me so I really don't pay attention to the rating. When it get busier and at bar closing time I need to see a 4.7 or better. I also tend to be more selective during a high surge because I find the higher rated passengers are ready to roll and halfway sober and easier to deal with. A quick turnaround can yield you one or two more surge rides before everything is done for the night. Trying to pickup lower rated passengers can lead to 5 minute wait and cancels which pay you $4 whether the surge is 1x or 4x. You don't want to waste time during a surge.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So Dela Joe. If you wait more than 5 min for psx and everything else goes well with the ride what rating do you give them? Surges don't seem to last long enough anywhere to plan on. Keep in mind I'm not driving typically after 11pm, sounds like you may be doing the late night bar crowd.

·
Registered
406 Posts
4.7 is where the gray line of acceptance begins. I say that because the ratings line gets blurred by how busy or slow it is. Also the ratings for pax can be harsh. Some people rate 4 if they don't get tipped. That would be 99/100 people getting 4* or lower. For me 99/100 get 5*. I rarely ever wait more then 5 minutes. If I do then they get 4 or lower. The cancel fee is better then the minimum fare. Why wait for real ? Work to get less ? OK sure that makes sense. I send a message " Please order your uber when you are ready " cancel and drive away. Then allot of times I'll ask to not be paired again. I love this feature. My headaches have been reduced dramatically with the "do not pair" feature. There are with out a doubt good and bad riders.
My latest 1* story.
I pull up 4, going on 5, minutes go by a woman comes running out. I confirm the name. She puts her purse in my car and says " I'll be right back " goes back in the house for another 5 minutes. I'm basically being held hostage with her purse. So on the way to her 4-5 mile trip she wants to stop at the ATM. She is on the phone with her girlfriend talking about of all things tipping a bartender. I'm thinking OK this might not turn out so bad... Wrong. 10 minutes at the ATM and away we go. So now I'm into this ride for about 40 minutes for a payout of about $6. 1* do not pair. I don't give low ratings unless they deserve them.
Using the do not pair feature will weed out bad riders. My cancel rate is always below 5% acceptance above 90%.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
So Dela Joe. If you wait more than 5 min for psx and everything else goes well with the ride what rating do you give them? Surges don't seem to last long enough anywhere to plan on. Keep in mind I'm not driving typically after 11pm, sounds like you may be doing the late night bar crowd.
I always give 5 stars unless the PAX acts like a jerk or does something out of the ordinary on the trip. Wait time, their rating, their intoxicated state , whether they tip or not have no impact. Basically if they don't cause a problem for me then they get 5 stars. I have given out very few non-5s on the nearly 2000 trips I have done. I also realize that if I give someone a non-5 star then the chances are that my rating will get dinged as well.

I mean it is almost an automated response of hitting 5 stars at the end of a trip without even thinking about it. If they don't get a 5 star they will most likely get a 1 star. I think its either a yes or a no for the customer. Uber provides no guidance on star deductions but some of the drivers have made up their own deduction systems which to me are a complete farce. If every driver rated non-tippers as 4 stars then none of us would be picking up anyone because 95% of our riders would be rated 4.00 or lower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts