Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I requested policy from UBER and only get to go response.

Scenario....

Pick up passenger, stop requested, in app, 1/2 mile away.
Passenger gets out of car at stop and returns 15 min later.
Continue trip back home 1/2 mile away.

No way is the $4.60 worth 20 minutes of my time and travel.

Can I end trip, at stop, after waiting a reasonable 2-5 min?
What if passenger leaves something in car?
I don't want to be accused of "abandoning" them or "stealing" their stuff.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
NEVER EVER let the pax leave an ‘anchor’ - tell them that for liability Uber doesnt allow it.. then after 5 minutes, end the trip and drive away.
Usually when they ask if they can stop/go in, i ask them what they are going to do and try to figure out how long it will take.. if it feels like it will take too long i just tell them “we’ll end the trip here then when you’re done just order another car so you dont get overcharged for wait time”

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
The purpose of Uber's in-app stop programming is to facilitate pickups/dropoffs of additional riders on the same trip -- for example, friends joining the ride going to a concert together. When you get those, they are usually toes to the curb and no problem. It's NOT for shopping trips.

Uber, of course, is not going to say anything the least bit negative to their customers, so they tell them the stops "should" be less than 3 minutes.

Truth be told, however, ALL stops are strictly at the discretion of the driver. You don't have to make any stops, and you don't have wait one second if you don't want to. It's up to you.

IERide's advice above about what to say was perfect. There's no sense in trying to act like a hardass and generating a bad rating. You be the nice guy -- it's Uber's fault and you're just looking out for their best interests to be sure they don't get overcharged.

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
This is why I love driving nights.
Worst case scenario they want to stop for smokes or alcohol, all which are quick.
People aren't running errands.

But to answer your question, you can end the trip whenever you want.

You can even tell them you can't wait longer than 3 minutes, otherwise you're losing money.

You might risk a bad rating, but you'll learn to not care.
Also, many times it gets you an upfront to tip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NEVER EVER let the pax leave an 'anchor' - tell them that for liability Uber doesnt allow it.. then after 5 minutes, end the trip and drive away.
Usually when they ask if they can stop/go in, i ask them what they are going to do and try to figure out how long it will take.. if it feels like it will take too long i just tell them "we'll end the trip here then when you're done just order another car so you dont get overcharged for wait time"
Thanks for the advice. Sounds reasonable. I'm always nice and try to accommodate, but not loose money. Ill take a hit on my rating, because I'm not waiting unless upfront tip.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I requested policy from UBER and only get to go response.

Scenario....

Pick up passenger, stop requested, in app, 1/2 mile away.
Passenger gets out of car at stop and returns 15 min later.
Continue trip back home 1/2 mile away.

No way is the $4.60 worth 20 minutes of my time and travel.

Tell pax you can only wait 2 minutes if you agree to the stop since you already have another ride stacked after you drop him off (doesn't matter if this is true or not, just say it as a fact). If he'll be over 2 minutes, he can order another ride once he's ready. Make sure he takes everything with him.

ALSO: you don't have to stop if you don't want to. But if it's an ******* pax, his snowflakey ass will probably downrate you like the Little Lord Fauntleroy he is. It's a fine line and often a "no win" situation due to the ridiculous ratings system U/L has in place.

·
Premium Member
7,114 Posts
Most riders are cognizant of the fact that they are keeping you waiting and do their best to be quick. Every once in a while you get the ******* who doesn't care about you sitting out there. That's why it's important not to let them leave an anchor. I got burned on that a couple times early on. And believe me, they will 1-star you even if you do wait 15 minutes.

·
Registered
748 Posts
IERide's advice above about what to say was perfect. There's no sense in trying to act like a hardass and generating a bad rating. You be the nice guy -- it's Uber's fault and you're just looking out for their best interests to be sure they don't get overcharged.
Most of the time, yes. The only problem with that would be if the pax knows it's a lie.

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
Most of the time, yes. The only problem with that would be if the pax knows it's a lie.
It's not entirely a lie. The reason it's not allowed was, though.

Look, tell the truth... If your wheels aren't turning, you're not making money. The stops Uber allows are just that, stops. They're not 'stop-and-waits'. They are for picking up additional passengers or dropping people off along the way.

Offer to wait for them, after ending the ride, provided Uber doesn't send you another request. Then, when they come out, if you're still there, they can again request and it "should" come to you. Remember to let them know you don't make money waiting for them. Let them offer to make it worth your while with an up front, cash tip if they don't want to end the ride and re-request.

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
Look, tell the truth... If your wheels aren't turning, you're not making money.
Bingo.

I use it as a teaching opportunity. The convo goes like this:

Me: "I can't wait more than 1 or 2 minutes. If the wheels aren't turning, I'm not making money."

Pax: "I thought you got paid for this."

Me: "I do, but the waiting time is only fifteen pennies per minute."

(Yes, I know, other markets pay less)

Pax: "Fifteen... That's...."

Me: "$9 an hour. L/U pays drivers less than minimum wage to sit around and burn gas. They are horrible. No offense, but I cannot afford it."

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
NEVER EVER let the pax leave an 'anchor' - tell them that for liability Uber doesnt allow it.. then after 5 minutes, end the trip and drive away.
Usually when they ask if they can stop/go in, i ask them what they are going to do and try to figure out how long it will take.. if it feels like it will take too long i just tell them "we'll end the trip here then when you're done just order another car so you dont get overcharged for wait time"
"Overcharged for wait time...".

I like that one

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
And if that "anchor" is a human, I suppose say "only the ordering passenger may stay in the car" and assert that you will not wait more than 2 minutes (or whatever).

Bingo.

I use it as a teaching opportunity. The convo goes like this:

Me: "I can't wait more than 1 or 2 minutes. If the wheels aren't turning, I'm not making money."

Pax: "I thought you got paid for this."

Me: "I do, but the waiting time is only fifteen pennies per minute."

(Yes, I know, other markets pay less)

Pax: "Fifteen... That's...."

Me: "$9 an hour. L/U pays drivers less than minimum wage to sit around and burn gas. They are horrible. No offense, but I cannot afford it."
FYI, it is just .08 in my city, so I'm HUGELY disinclined to do the waiting game for more then 2.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts