Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
The fee Uber charges you, has a tax code of NCF, (non capital acquisition - GST free ) meaning you can claim the fee as a deduction, but you cannot claim GST credits as their billing unit sits outside Australia (The Netherlands) and therefor isn't registered for GST.
So although they have recently increased the rates by 10% (Ghostwren has put up a post identifying the flaws in this supposed increase), it doesn't cover your additional costs of paying GST.

The Business Portal at the ATO isn't very computer friendly, but once you get the hang of it, it isn't bad.
I think my calculations are wrong concerning the per KM increase. g00r, can you please help me calculate:

Is the 5c increase from $1.10 to $1.15 a 4.5% increase on that rate?

·
Registered
537 Posts
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/o...000-are-one-step-closer-to-drawing-gst-2015-7

I've written to all the Premiers, Chief Ministers and Treasurer in support of charging GST on OS purchases under $1000, as it could solve our problem and address many other issues in the economy.

Also made a supportive comments here on the #bettertax Tax White Paper feedback section

The income from this sector is estimated at $17 billion, so the GST it could generate is worth around $1.7 bil. to the economy.

If Australian voters get behind this idea then the anti-GST lobbying efforts of the likes of Ebay, Amazon, Google, Apple, and Uber will be less of an issue....bottom line, they don't vote. (They do run a slick media campaign though ;) )

Charging GST on all OS purchases will not only be good for Uber Drivers, but it will put Aussie manufacturers, app developers and retailers (just too name a few) on a more level playing field with their overseas competition.

It will be Australians who ultimately pay the tax but Australians have come to accept paying the GST and I think they will welcome the close of this tax avoidance loophole that OS multinational corps have enjoyed for so long at the expense of Australian business.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.