Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think thats uber comission out of total which includes tax, black car fund and uber %. So if you earn $100 uber will deduct $35.39 out of it and you will get $64.61 unless their are tolls.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
What does the 35.39% mean? Is this the cut that uber takes, or that we take? Sorry for the noob question.
I'm paying 30.4% for UberX. Are they charging new drivers 35.39%? Would not surprise me.
Holy shit!
The UberGREED Contagion is spreading to many markets!
All Uber_SF UberX Drivers are now paying 25% commission:
Look Out! 25% Commission Is Next For All UberX Drivers!
New Toronto UberX Drivers are now at 25%:
Uber commission to increase to 25 %

·
Banned
3,041 Posts

What does the 35.39% mean? Is this the cut that uber takes, or that we take? Sorry for the noob question.
This is how it works.
1. Uber's cut for new Uberx drivers =25%
2. NYS sales tax on the fare =8.875%
3. NYC black car fund =2.25%
Total =36%
Forevery dollar you earn on each fare, you pay out for commissions and taxes "not your taxes" 36 cents, which leaves you with 64 cents to the dollar "gross not net, before your operating expenses".
At the end of the year you will receive a 1099, and you will have to file taxes on the money's earned "the gross amount you earned for the year", if you have any questions how to go about doing your taxes as a Taxi driver, just shoot me a PM, I will explain to you the process.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is how it works.
1. Uber's cut for new Uberx drivers =25%
Total =36%
Forevery dollar you earn on each fare, you pay out for commissions and taxes "not your taxes" 36 cents, which leaves you with 64 cents to the dollar "gross not net, before your operating expenses".
At the end of the year you will receive a 1099, and you will have to file taxes on the money's earned "the gross amount you earned for the year", if you have any questions how to go about doing your taxes as a Taxi driver, just shoot me a PM, I will explain to you the process.
Why do they charge sales tax? Yellow taxis do not. And if they have to charge it why don't they add it to final gross price?

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Sales tax is not charged by uber, it is charged to every fare for all FHV in nyc, this was implemented in 2010 when the state was bleeding money, this FHV tax has been on record and some NY legislators have been trying to get it repealed, but at the moment it does not look good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forevery dollar you earn on each fare, you pay out for commissions and taxes "not your taxes"
It's absolutely astounding how I have to pay DOUBLE taxes on my earnings (sales and income). Land of the free for those in control...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm paying 30.4% for UberX. Are they charging new drivers 35.39%? Would not surprise me.
At least there's the $500 bonus we get for our first ride. But the higher cut probably ends up canceling that out. This must be their way of making up that $500...

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
It's absolutely astounding how I have to pay DOUBLE taxes on my earnings (sales and income). Land of the free for those in control...
You are paying sales tax like a vendor selling goods, you are paying sales tax on services rendered. It is separate from your income tax.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are paying sales tax like a vendor selling goods, you are paying sales tax on services rendered. It is separate from your income tax.
Yeah well, vendors charge the customer for tax off sticker price. I'm pretty sure riders don't pay said sales tax off their fare. Plus, apparently FHV drivers didn't have to pay sales tax a while back. This is just government greed.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Yeah well, vendors charge the customer for tax off sticker price. I'm pretty sure riders don't pay said sales tax off their fare. Plus, apparently FHV drivers didn't have to pay sales tax a while back. This is just govt greed.
No you do to the state "which is taken out by uber and send out quarterly", the reason they do this is to make sure the taxes get paid. The state gets those taxes from one entity, not thousands of different drivers, it's the bases responsibility to make sure that sales tax is paid.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would walk away if Uber increased their fees on me. On a positive note, drivers keep the 8.875% sales tax on trips to NJ and CT. Out of state trips are non-taxable except for the black car tax.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This is how it works.

Total =36%
I read somewhere that is illegal for Uber to pass that cost to the drivers, it should be passed on to the passengers. The issue is that somebody has to take Uber to court over it in order to get them to stop. The State doesnt care because they are getting their money regardless.

Any Gett drivers here. I hear that Gett does pass the sales tax to the passengers but would like a confirmation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts