Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm part time and used to drive 25 hrs a week to earn about 300$. I now drive about 10 hrs a week to earn 200$. Here is what I do? I work in durham and if driving early or after work check the customer app and only if surging work. I avoid regular fares like the plague! I sometimes drive into chapel hill from hillsborough where I live at 2am or at 1am on Friday or Saturdays. If I get a ping at regular fare I will check the customer app on the way and if surging I cancel. I will check the customer app on a surge fare and if it goes higher I cancel and usually get the higher fare many times with the same pax and they never say a word and if they did I would talk about economics and the fact that I get tipped about 1 time a week if that!!!!! I will often text the pax at 2am to ask where their destination is? Sometimes they will cancel because they know I'm looking for duke students going back to durham which at 3.5 or higher surge is anywhere from 50-70$. Many unc girl students are doing these really short trips so I try to avoid them at the bar surge or text for destinations. Not this capped week but two previous weeks I have averaged about 24$ an houR!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Ok I'm part time and used to drive 25 hrs a week to earn about 300$. I now drive about 10 hrs a week to earn 200$. Here is what I do? I work in durham and if driving early or after work check the customer app and only if surging work. I avoid regular fares like the plague! I sometimes drive into chapel hill from hillsborough where I live at 2am or at 1am on Friday or Saturdays. If I get a ping at regular fare I will check the customer app on the way and if surging I cancel. I will check the customer app on a surge fare and if it goes higher I cancel and usually get the higher fare many times with the same pax and they never say a word and if they did I would talk about economics and the fact that I get tipped about 1 time a week if that!!!!! I will often text the pax at 2am to ask where their destination is? Sometimes they will cancel because they know I'm looking for duke students going back to durham which at 3.5 or higher surge is anywhere from 50-70$. Many unc girl students are doing these really short trips so I try to avoid them at the bar surge or text for destinations. Not this capped week but two previous weeks I have averaged about 24$ an houR!
It really shouldn't be this complicated to drive people around. Given the amount of time you're obviously devoting to gaming the system, does focusing on the road play a part in your everyday driving? No wonder my insurance company wants more in premiums if I'm using UBER.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Proud of you.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah before rate drops no need to do this! With the current rate if I just take rides I miss surge and i make a little over 10 an hour before expenses and beat the crap out of my car!

·
Premium Member
8,761 Posts
Yeah before rate drops no need to do this! With the current rate if I just take rides I miss surge and i make a little over 10 an hour before expenses and beat the crap out of my car!
Bill I understand what got you there, I was grossing $1000 a week the middle of last year, now I have to be crushing it to come close to $500 before expenses and $300 is more likely. So yes I carefully pick and choose when and where I drive to maximize my hourly rate but I still have feelings for the passengers and want to see them treated well. When you get to the point where you don't give a crap about other people it might be time to realize they've sucked every bit of good out of this and move on.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that you misunderstood when pax get into my car I treat them with nothing but respect and give good service. They can cancel on me and so I choose to make the fare I want to! This is gaming the system to make the best dollar for my time and car!

·
Premium Member
8,761 Posts
I think that you misunderstood when pax get into my car I treat them with nothing but respect and give good service. They can cancel on me and so I choose to make the fare I want to! This is gaming the system to make the best dollar for my time and car!
I misunderstood nothing. I'm not trying to judge you and understand how we got here but once I accept a ride from a pax I feel like I have an obligation to get them, not cancel and leave them in a lurch because I think I can get more money from someone else. I have not accepted pings because they are outside a surge area or to far away but if I accept I do my best to go through with it. I guess my point is that because we are getting squeezed so hard we are becoming as bad as what we replaced.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm with Disgusted Driver. I don't cancel a request I'm on the way to. Once you've accepted the trip the passenger is counting on you. Perhaps they've crafted their plans around when you're quoted to arrive and your canceling on them is making them wait longer and perhaps miss an important time that they should have arrived by.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I don't like doing unethical business & I get your point disgusted driver - it sucks that we are put in a position where we have to be asses in order to make money.

It isn't the consumer's fault that uber has offered them convenient transportation at cheap prices while advertising that driver's make a fortune. It's not their fault uber has lied to them about tips & shaped their expectations that this service is available no matter what distance they are going. It's not their fault that uber doesn't have better pin accuracy or better instructions on how to be accurate with their pin. It's not their fault uber doesn't stress that they should be ready to get in the car in the spot the pin is dropped.

Uber created this pax expectation & I am unsure if it can be undone at this point. Even if uber raises their fares, I think I'll still focus on Lyft. They aren't much better - but they do encourage the pax to remember drivers are people too.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's funny because I feel like most times when I'm canceling it's with in about 1-3 minutes. I have no problem canceling there are plenty of other drivers who will pick up that person but what I'm doing is really attempting to maximize my earnings. Uber has done this by having these super low rates and it's ridiculous to not game the system. If people were tipping or if the rates made sense the story would be different!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have no problem canceling there are plenty of other drivers who will pick up that person but what I'm doing is really attempting to maximize my earnings. Uber has done this by having these super low rates and it's ridiculous to not game the system. If people were tipping or if the rates made sense the story would be different!
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Before using these strategies I would let customer out of my car and hit finished trip rate them and just be pissed at the money I made. You feel like Uber and the Pax have just completely got over on you. F that! I'm just not going to take it anymore! I choose to not bend over and take it anymore!!!!! Ethics?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Great strategy! Can be alittle risky if uber catches on, but you are an independent contractor and have every right to do this!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Takes one customer complain and you will be deactivated. Guess you can make as much as you can before that happens. If you don't want short trips I would just stay away from the campuses. I don't accept calls from any of the schools because 70% are short and 99.00% don't tip.

Uber is not any different that any other corporation that only focus is maximize profits. With any new company your goal is build a consumer base at first by cutting prices and once you have a loyal base then you raise them. The only thing that makes company's increase pay and employee benefits is competition. Until
uber has some real competition that can actually take drivers from them nothing will change. Someone big will enter the market at some point. The googles, apples, amazons of the world will jump in once the regulator dust has clears and make Uber topple like Aol did in the search engine game.

Lyft has this unique opportunity with all of the new driver benefits they are rolling out but they need some big time funding to catch up.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Lyft seems pro driver but i'm a bit concerned how much i trust amazon, but they are currently offering very nice compensation and offer flexible work hour blocks which will help them if they half to make drivers employees or change the modal to adapt to regulations. also it will help the driver better get an idea of what they will be making instead of all the guess work we have with uber and lyft. Not sure if Google will wanna play with anything but rob taxis, apple probably wants to focus on making a consumer brand electric car going the route that everyone will still want to own cars. I know uber and google are banking on everyone ditching there car for rob cars in the future and i think a lot of young people will, hell i have given up my car for lyft and uber and just bike and use public transit,but I think people are still gonna be owning cars and apple is better positioned to take advantage of that. People might only be having one car, but still car ownership is not going completely away. sorry uber

1 - 17 of 17 Posts