Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I am writing to see if any one can share any knowledge about parker car seem to see them alot on airport with nice cars. Is there work good working 6 days 60 hrs.
Thank you

·
Registered
295 Posts
they used to be good I don't about now I'm guessing they still have their top account work but that's most likely going to their top drivers.

honest piece of advise mate most companies don't have enough work because there are simply too many drivers because of uber, best thing to do is work for your good local office and top up with uber on the weekends etc, that's the only way to boost income now days

and don't hire expensive cars buy cheap car like ford mondeo toyota avensis about 6k with low mileage that way your costs will stay low and work peak hours (weekday rush hours) and then the weekends this way you should be able make ok money without having to do stupid hours

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Thank alot for your advice. The thing is if you work for local companies they get pissed off when you go off to work with uber on weekends they punish you during week days then. And i also know that its difficult to survive on uber alone working full time. I have 12 reg E class estate so bit reluctant to use it on uber x anyway. I have pco but currently working in weybridge as a hackney carriage but uber has taken over there too so dnt know what to do. Hense why thought about coming back to london but things not looking good here either.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Hi
Thank alot for your advice. The thing is if you work for local companies they get pissed off when you go off to work with uber on weekends they punish you during week days then. And i also know that its difficult to survive on uber alone working full time. I have 12 reg E class estate so bit reluctant to use it on uber x anyway. I have pco but currently working in weybridge as a hackney carriage but uber has taken over there too so dnt know what to do. Hense why thought about coming back to london but things not looking good here either.
Don't know if you've tried this or not?
But working in an affluent area like Weybridge with an E Class estate, I would be carding lots of customers over the years and build up some regular clients for airport runs etc.
You would need the equivalent of the small operators licence though to accept bookings.
I've had advance bookings from American & Japanese tourists who book mini tours of a few different places of interest.
Don't have it all the time but it's more enjoyable driving and money is good

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I thought with a Hackney you don't need an operators licence to take bookings.

With a nice car like yours, I expect you'd get a lot of repeat requests from customers you pick up from the rank.

Might be an idea to have a notice in your car saying "This taxi can be prebooked for long journeys and airports" and when you give passengers their change from a fare, hand them a business card as well.

There seems be a Elmbridge registered E-Class Estate reg G2 MSD always driving around, and he seems to be busy (otherwise I wouldn't notice him!), I'm sure there's plenty of decent work around.

I can't see much Hackney work around Weybridge though, the rank at the station (and Walton) are always long, and understandable why you wouldn't want to pick up from Red Bar, Elmbridge Arms, Noir etc on Fri/Sat nights.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like you work in Elmbridge since you even know reg nos. This reg belongs to mark at esher cars. Any how thinking about joing a company to get steady work in claygate. Drivers there earning 500 to 700 net after commision

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Lol, yes my client lives in Weybridge, so I'm there and around the area a lot.

I'm paying attention to the points of interest around there, because if licensing with TFL is going to become complicated, I'll be applying for a Hackney there.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol ok well even with hackney its a struggle because Elmbridge is not that big but flooded with private and hackney drivers. And now mostly taken over with uber x and exec. Hense why as i have pco thinking to get the car pco. Join uber and get small operator lisence pco and make clients. Whats your view

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Join uber and get small operator lisence pco and make clients. Whats your view
I applied for my operators licence not long after being with my minicab company where I was paying £150 a week in rent. Obviously had it before I joined Uber anyway.

Need to ensure where you'll be accepting bookings, as that will determine who your licence will be with, you will need to live in the TfL area to have a Pco operators licence if you'll be accepting bookings at home, or have an office in the area.

As you already got a hackney licence for Elmbridge I would concentrate on building up your clients there, rather than spending £1500 on a PCO operators licence, which would be better spent on advertising. And use your car to your advantage.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree but i have tried building up customers in Weybridge but what customer is interested in is who can take them for cheaper. Drivers with nice cars are so desperate they are undercuttingeach other. I live in worcester park so within tfl so intially i am thinking about joining parkers along with uber then get operator later on. You sound like a sensible man. Where do you live and from..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are only handle ful of companies in elmbridge and even they are struggling because and people from elmbridge using uber too now cause they use uber on the way back from london....so confused now tried all the things

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I agree but i have tried building up customers in Weybridge but what customer is interested in is who can take them for cheaper. Drivers with nice cars are so desperate they are undercuttingeach other. I live in worcester park so within tfl so intially i am thinking about joining parkers along with uber then get operator later on. You sound like a sensible man. Where do you live and from..
Not everyone wants cheap. Plenty of pax who wants someone reliable and trustworthy. I learnt long time ago that word-of-mouth is your best friend. Needs a bit of luck too but it is not impossible. Perseverance and patience is the key.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm true. Lets see so you wouldnt recommend coming and working under pco. Because i have tried here but want to try the same thing in london and want work just like you are.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you are a Hackney carriage operator then you don't need and operators licence unless you want to operate more than one vehicle
As a Hackney carriage driver you are your own operator and can take bookings for yourself
Also as a Hackney carriage driver with a Hackney played vehicle you can drive in any borough,but only as a private hire driver

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Not everyone wants cheap. Plenty of pax who wants someone reliable and trustworthy. I learnt long time ago that word-of-mouth is your best friend. Needs a bit of luck too but it is not impossible. Perseverance and patience is the key.
I live between Richmond and Kingston. I work mostly for one client and his household, almost full-time, and Uber whenever I'm not needed for beer money (as it should be). Anon is right, I can't imagine my client, booking random cheap cars/drivers to carry him and his daughter (sometimes unaccompanied, to and from school, friends, etc.), around, and on time. It also took me 3 years doing PH for random firms, and carrying random people around before finding him (or he found me).

Really then will uber take me as a private hire driver
http://www.driveuberuki.com/our-cities/home-counties/
According to the FAQ, they do not take Hackney carriage drivers.
You would need to be PH in Slough, Windsor & Maidenhead, Luton, Woking, Wycombe or Reigate & Banstead.
Or obvious, you can use your PCO and join Uber in London.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok thank you. I am truely stuck in making decision to i should do. I been in Elmbridge for 5 years now before that i worked in london but alot has changed. Now i either work with a company in elmbridge. Or take a risk and come back to london. Because cab offices in elmbridge are small with 8 to 9 driver on either day or night shift. I am currently working with one and i do 6 days 8 hours per day with around 550 to 650 net. You think i can make more then this in london weather working uber or parker or same...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Best to stay where you are, compared to UberX your earnings look better, doing a 48 hour week. The controller will ensure you make your money, and I'd imagine give you the better jobs because of your car. Also a lot more pleasant driving there than in London as you know.

As they say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
The other consideration you have to take into account is whether your H&R insurance covers cross-border driving ie.,
driving under 2 jurisdictions.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts