Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've been a Uber driver for about a month now and totally disappointed. I know its my decision to drive for Uber or not but some of the fares they pay is totally ridiculous and absurd.
I drove someone from Palisades Park, NJ to Newark Int'l Airport and they paid me $15.60 estimated time 24 min and 19 miles. On top of that they didn't reimburse me the tolls.
Another thing I don't understand is my customer said they were charged $27 and I only get half on top of that Uber takes 20%. What happened to the balance amount?
This doesn't make any sense when I used to travel for work cheapest I could find from same distance was $50. Also how does a 10 billion dollar company forget to reimburse tolls? I've decided not to take fares to Newark airport anymore not worth it. Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
That calculation seems about right. Don't forget you are at 25% commission and not 20%. Uber routinely forgets about the toll from Bergen county to EWR. You just have to write to them and let them know. Hit the Help button and then say there was a problem with the fare and you were not paid tolls. This is the issue at 85 cents a mile in NJ. Look around at the threads and you will understand why a lot of drivers drive minimal time these days. Also the booking fee for EWR is now $2.60 and not $1.60 which Uber retains the entire increase of $1.00 for all trips into and out of EWR. They recently took the booking fee calculation out of the trip whereby they would show the in and out of the booking fee. Uber keeps 100% of the booking fee, so you cannot calculate the commission on what the passenger pays. Commission only calculated on base fare, time and mileage, not tolls or booking fee.

Welcome to the world of Uber, this is why the turnover rate is so high.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Email uber ask for return tolls back. Pax paid $27 I guess because with the tolls. Since the fare cut, from my area to Ewr around $17 in my pocket not including gas, so not worth to drive for Uber. I had picked up paxs at ewr, under $4,$8,$11 $14, that just way too low.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That calculation seems about right. Don't forget you are at 25% commission and not 20%. Uber routinely forgets about the toll from Bergen county to EWR. You just have to write to them and let them know. Hit the Help button and then say there was a problem with the fare and you were not paid tolls. This is the issue at 85 cents a mile in NJ. Look around at the threads and you will understand why a lot of drivers drive minimal time these days. Also the booking fee for EWR is now $2.60 and not $1.60 which Uber retains the entire increase of $1.00 for all trips into and out of EWR. They recently took the booking fee calculation out of the trip whereby they would show the in and out of the booking fee. Uber keeps 100% of the booking fee, so you cannot calculate the commission on what the passenger pays. Commission only calculated on base fare, time and mileage, not tolls or booking fee.

Welcome to the world of Uber, this is why the turnover rate is so high.
Thanks for the info! Even with there $2.60 booking fee doesnt calculate the difference with customer paying $27. Anyways not worth it imo not doing any ewr fares.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Email uber ask for return tolls back. Pax paid $27 I guess because with the tolls. Since the fare cut, from my area to Ewr around $17 in my pocket not including gas, so not worth to drive for Uber. I had picked up paxs at ewr, under $4,$8,$11 $14, that just way too low.
Thanks Ive emailed them about this. How do they not know there are tolls to ewr....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a better way to find out where the passenger is going before going to the pick up location? Not calling or txting.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Thanks for the info! Even with there $2.60 booking fee doesnt calculate the difference with customer paying $27.
How do you know they paid $27? If they just did a fare estimate it will show 20-27 for the range (I just did a fare estimate from Pal Park to EWR and that's what it shows). Many riders think they pay the higher end of the range, but it usually comes closer to the lower part of the range. If you just dropped off chances are you wouldn't wait around for Uber to calculate the fare and send the customer the e-mail regarding the trip. Most passengers don't have a clue as to what they pay, let alone what drivers get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you know they paid $27? If they just did a fare estimate it will show 20-27 for the range (I just did a fare estimate from Pal Park to EWR and that's what it shows). Many riders think they pay the higher end of the range, but it usually comes closer to the lower part of the range. If you just dropped off chances are you wouldn't wait around for Uber to calculate the fare and send the customer the e-mail regarding the trip. Most passengers don't have a clue as to what they pay, let alone what drivers get.
Yes, the estimated fare is correct. I asked the passenger and he said $27 but I guess we wouldnt know until he gets billed.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I've had the same issue the past couple of times with the tolls from Teaneck and Englewood going to EWR. I don't know why their system isn't recognizing the tolls. They used to be really good at tolls, not it's a crap shoot. Definitely go after them for the toll. Remember you only have 48 hours to let them know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had the same issue the past couple of times with the tolls from Teaneck and Englewood going to EWR. I don't know why their system isn't recognizing the tolls. They used to be really good at tolls, not it's a crap shoot. Definitely go after them for the toll. Remember you only have 48 hours to let them know.
Noted and thanks.

·
Registered
624 Posts
No One should get into your car unless its on surge 1.5x or Higher turn off your app and also says Uberxl on your profile accept those rides during late night weekends a lot of Xl requests for groups going to bars or clubs. Also Metlife stadium will be a zoo tomorrow sun 26 but surge will be 3x and up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice. Today I saw a surge in my area and got a ping and picked up but after I dropped off the customer I didnt get the surge fare. Most of the time in nnj I will see surge and go away in 5 mins.

·
Super Moderator
6,092 Posts
Always check any trips that had tolls to see if they were added automatically. You can do this in the app by pressing earnings/trip history/ then the trip you want to see. If tolls were not added you can then hit help/fare review/ fare adjustment:request a toll reimbursement then fill in the details and submit them. You shouldn't have any problems having the tolls added.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Only do uber if you are desperate, and ubering is your only option, otherwise save your car, not worth it to uber at this current rates, it is humiliating, believe me when i tell you how humiliating it is to drive at these rates, i have to explain to my pax how low the rates are and hope for a tip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They purposely forget to process tolls. Do that a couple of times around the globe, money for nothing... It is a deliberate action taken my both the companies. I just went through it with LYFT tech support doesn't even know how to read EZPASS statements....I dropped a passenger at JFK from jersey, how the hell else am I getting the pax there? watertaxi?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've been a Uber driver for about a month now and totally disappointed. I know its my decision to drive for Uber or not but some of the fares they pay is totally ridiculous and absurd.
I drove someone from Palisades Park, NJ to Newark Int'l Airport and they paid me $15.60 estimated time 24 min and 19 miles. On top of that they didn't reimburse me the tolls.
Another thing I don't understand is my customer said they were charged $27 and I only get half on top of that Uber takes 20%. What happened to the balance amount?
This doesn't make any sense when I used to travel for work cheapest I could find from same distance was $50. Also how does a 10 billion dollar company forget to reimburse tolls? I've decided not to take fares to Newark airport anymore not worth it. Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
David
Partner Uber is hoping that you can forget the toll money so they can keep it. Uber still will send you a text saying. Don't worry partner, we have your back! And they have it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
They purposely forget to process tolls. Do that a couple of times around the globe, money for nothing... It is a deliberate action taken my both the companies. I just went through it with LYFT tech support doesn't even know how to read EZPASS statements....I dropped a passenger at JFK from jersey, how the hell else am I getting the pax there? watertaxi?
Why even go to JFK?

I always call ahead or text. Also before i start a trip... no point in driving all the way out there for peanuts unless your know for sure it's a smooth fast ride back...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts