Uber Drivers Forum banner

P2P License Required?

9K views 75 replies 23 participants last post by  Timinator1313 
#1 ·
Question: how necessary is a P2P license in Columbus?

Uber sends me emails and texts on occasion urging me to get my P2P license for driving in Columbus, but I haven't gotten around to it yet, especially since I don't drive for Uber often (sometimes after work and some weekends if there is a big event). I'll get it eventually, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The texts and emails state that the license is required to pick up PAX in the Columbus city limits, but I've never had any problems getting pings without it. Is this an "empty threat", or are there some areas where I won't get pings without having the license uploaded to my profile? Also, I'm assuming I could be ticketed/fined if I get pulled over and the cop finds out I don't have my P2P license while on a trip in Columbus?

Thanks!

#2 ·
It's the City of Columbus that requires it. If Uber is sending you trip requests within the city limits then obviously Uber is not enforcing it, and is probably just required by the city to tell you that you need to get it. To be honest I thought the city required Uber to geofence the city limits off from those drivers who don't have it, and there was a webpage showing that... but I can't find it anymore, and if you are getting pings in the city limits then obviously Uber isn't geofencing it like I saw they claimed before. So if Uber isn't restricting you, then your only issue is the risk that Columbus police catch you... and I've yet to hear of one instance of Columbus Police enforcing the requirement. To be honest, I feel like I wasted the money, and more importantly the time it took to get mine.

#3 ·
I was thinking the same thing UberHammer. If they really want to enforce it, then they should use a geofence to restrict pings while in Columbus city limits. I've also seen that geofence map you're talking about, but haven't seen it recently. Well we'll see...as I said, I'll probably get around to getting it one of these days, but until I see proof that it's actually "required", I'm in no rush :)

#4 ·
It is not worth getting caught without a current license and displaying of that license if you intend to do any pick-ups in the city of Columbus. If you are caught it is a criminal offense that uber will not provide a lawyer or help you . In fact they will deactivate you. Do not take this lightly. Columbus police will not enforce this most likely, but there are city plain clothes license officers who are out there trying to catch people.
With that said, if you only pick up in the suburbs you can drop off anywhere in the city of Columbus, so on paper you could definitely drive part time without getting the license, but I had to go through the hassle and those who cheat the system gives uber drivers a bad name. If I ever see a uber car without displaying their city permit in 2 spots on their car I will report them. I take it that seriously. you should too! I spent my own time and money to comply and it is a requirement of the city and Uber!

Of course there is a statewide legislation that passed the Ohio house and has not been passed by senate yet that could be a game changer for any municipality requirement aka statewide process would supersede the local ones!

#5 ·
If I ever see a uber car without displaying their city permit in 2 spots on their car I will report them. I spent my own time and money to comply
Let's face it: this regulation is a hassle designed to regulate for regulation's sake, without any concrete benefits or justifications. Reporting other uber drives just because YOU were naive enough to comply is nothing short of selfish douchbaggry.

I hope one of your riders doesn't like the way you smell and report you to Uber claiming you promoted lyft :)

#6 ·
I agree with this. If Columbus Police doesn't see the need to enforce something they are paid to enforce, then a person who isn't paid to enforce has to have some sort of vendetta to take on the burden of enforcing it.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be enforced and regulated. I think it should, especially since NO ONE from Uber ever even looked at my car, so how do they know my tires aren't bald and my brake pads aren't worn? They don't. But the office at Piedmont knows my car is well maintained. So yes, I applaud the city for regulating it, but enforcement of law is for the police to do, not for rogue drivers to do. If Uber didn't want drivers without the p2p working for them, they could easily just deactivate the ones who haven't uploaded it yet.

#8 ·
The regulation was to calm fears about Uber drivers and their vehicles. It's fairly obvious the Taxi industry brought the complain to the table and the city responded, however, having looked at the regulation, it looks like Uber and Lyft had a heavy hand in writing it.

Either way, we pay a little over $100 for the license now, and we don't have to worry about all the hassle drivers are getting in many other cities. We can currently do pick ups at the airport, and some venues let us in to their paid parking lots when they see the tag (Crew Stadium). It also means an officer is less likely to pull us over in the middle of the night trying to catch drunks.

Originally Uber did deactivate drivers w/o the license, that caused the 10x surge on the first home game last year. Eventually with how fast they churn drivers they decided to go with a grace period instead, which gets drivers on the road faster, and a lot of drivers might never get the license if they didn't get hooked on driving first.

#9 ·
The police will most likely never try to enforce this unless they are off duty working a bar or you have an accident they are reporting on. It is not a police matter it is licensing officers who will enforce this based on personal stings or media attention like channel 6 people going undercover.
The drivers who do NOT get and display their stickers and pick up in Columbus are rogue not me.
We're not talking the Boston tea party or protests we are talking criminal acts.
GLADOS you are the naive one my friend, becauseif you do not get your license you will end up in trouble it's not if but when.
According to your view today I think I will ignore murder being a crime and go out an plow down some homeless people they are drains on society and need to be extinguished
SIMPLE NO LICENSE = CRIMINAL

#11 ·
Well being overly dramatic was the idea yes. My point is that this should be done by drivers as Cost of doing business, it is deductible and a law. Of course if someone was never getting it and then they go to apply after operating the city may deny it. And of course of course a horse of course if a driver misrepresents that they were operating without the license it is fraud and the slope slips even more. felony or misdemeanor breaking the law is breaking the law. I'm also hard on (huh uhu huh i said hardon) immigration. I had to be apart from my wife for a year waiting for us to run through the legal process and I do not think it is fair that a whole bunch of clowns jump the fence illegally.
I do admit to being don't ask don't tell on the gray areas on insurance. but if I was asked point blank by my agent if I drove uber I would not lie or commit an overt fraud i wold quit uber until I could get the hybrid insurance this industry needs desperately. I know I am covered under Uber when in a ride even if all the other areas are gray.

#13 ·
I don't speed actually or if I do it's 1-3 over by play in my speedometer. Speeding doesn't really get you there faster on long trips and short trips jack rabbit starts and stops ruin your car quicker. If it is 4:30 AM and I got off the highway near where I live and teh light doesn't change for 10 minutes I know there is something not set right with sensors or whatever so i will make my left turn and yes that is breaking the law so I am not saying anything is 100% but just like murder is a crime and breaking a traffic law is a crime. Let's scale this discussion based on the fact that in other cities creeps avoided getting a city license or faked it and it comes to light after they rape or run over someone that they had not passed teh background checks that would have caught these felons and not let them be licensed. I say it is worth every single driver to be licensed by the municipality that requires it until such a time that a state level legislation supercedes it and makes it consistent throughout the state.

#14 ·
In some cities in the US, it's illegal for a married couple to engage in oral sex.

Some laws became laws for stupid reasons, and the authorities don't enforce them because they're stupid.

I'm not saying the P2P regulation in Columbus is stupid. I support it greatly, as it really bothers me that no one from Uber has ever even looked at my car.

But if the police aren't going to enforce this law, then comparing this law to murder laws is an apples to oranges comparison. Sounds like the police have better things to do than to worry about Uber. Given police in other cities are on the other side of the spectrum and go out of their way to give Uber drivers a hard time, I'd prefer to keep the status quo in Columbus regarding the police and Uber.

#17 ·
1st Degree Misdemeanor
$1000 Fine
180 Days in Jail

All because you didn't want to spend $80 on the license. Trust and believe I got mine. If you plan to be anywhere near campus, park street, or the airport you probably wanna invest because the do ticket you and your fellow drivers will report you.

#31 ·
1st Degree Misdemeanor
$1000 Fine
180 Days in Jail
According to the Ohio Revised Code, not possessing a P2P license (being a M1) is more serve of a crime than: "Abuse of a corpse" (m2), Illegal cultivation of Marijuana of less than 200G" (m3) and "Selling contaminated blood" (M4). Basically, picking up a passenger without your P2P license is right next to "Breaking and Entering" (F1) which will land you in Pelican Bay for 6 to 12 months. What's next for non-p2p violators? The lynching gallows? A shooting squad?

Me myself: I'm good without it for the time being. I'll entertain it when I can justify the $100+- for the expense. I do well for my needs working the burbs only for now. I have a goal of $50 a day, 3 days a week on the week days and so far, I've been hitting it. No P2P for me at this time.

#21 ·
I thought the city would be geofenced, but I just started this week, don't have my p2p yet, and when I turn on the app downtown right now, the 2 closest red outlined suggested driving areas are German Village and by campus. I generally try to follow rules, so I haven't tried to actually go online downtown, but I assume the app wouldn't stop me if I tried to do so.

#26 ·
So wait a second..they're trying to pass a bill that will get rid of P2P licenses? If that's the case then I might just hold off on getting the license. BTW take a look at my question in the Columbus forum. I feel like someone with your expertise can give me some answers.

#28 ·
So wait a second..they're trying to pass a bill that will get rid of P2P licenses?
Yes. The state bill if passed would render any municipal regulation of P2P transportation in the state of Ohio moot. It has already passed the state House and is currently being reviewed by the Senate. It could pass any day now.

If that's the case then I might just hold off on getting the license.
It's worth considering. $100 ain't cheap.

BTW take a look at my question in the Columbus forum. I feel like someone with your expertise can give me some answers.
Each Uber operation in each city operates like their own little separate entity with their own manager calling the shots of how the city is run. Ohio is a little different, as there is one manager who oversees all cities in Ohio (as well as Louisville and Lexington, KY). But despite the same manager managing Columbus and Cleveland, the software still functions the same, which is as a driver you are assigned to work in one specific city. I once read that a driver can work in two cities, but they had to get approved to have two different active driver accounts. They had to use one account with the driver app in one city, and use a different account with the driver app in another city. But I've heard far more stories of people being denied the option to drive in two different cities. If you want to try it, my suggestion would be to use a different email address to register in the second city and see if you can get both accounts active at the same time.

#34 ·
Denial doesn't change the facts. not having a P2P WILL limit your ability to pick up in city of Columbus. Maybe there is a lag or possible gray mapping issue but $100 is NOT a lot of money. It is a cost of doing business. stubborn drivers making a point of burying their heads MAY get away with a lot of things, but why limit your income possibilities? handicapping yourself assuming there is inconsistent enforcement shouldn't be the decision, wanting to drive Uber in the city should. Don't want to get it, fine do the burbs and play the system but it is NOT that hard or expensive to get the license, I guarantee you waste more than $100 on other things and don't even think about it. My advice to new drivers is YES GET IT. if you are stuck on the idea of NOT getting it for established drivers, more pickups for me

#35 ·
Denial doesn't change the facts. not having a P2P WILL limit your ability to pick up in city of Columbus. Maybe there is a lag or possible gray mapping issue but $100 is NOT a lot of money. It is a cost of doing business. stubborn drivers making a point of burying their heads MAY get away with a lot of things, but why limit your income possibilities? handicapping yourself assuming there is inconsistent enforcement shouldn't be the decision, wanting to drive Uber in the city should. Don't want to get it, fine do the burbs and play the system but it is NOT that hard or expensive to get the license, I guarantee you waste more than $100 on other things and don't even think about it. My advice to new drivers is YES GET IT. if you are stuck on the idea of NOT getting it for established drivers, more pickups for me
I'm in awe of all of the above. Agreed 100%.

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
Communication directly from uber :
An annual vehicle inspection is part of this licensing process. It is possible to drive in the suburbs of Columbus without obtaining the Peer-to-Peer [P2P] Transportation Network License [TNC], however the majority of trips happen within the city limits. Partners who obtain the license earn over 25% more than unlicensed partners.

While it's not required to initially get on the road, we do recommend the license to increase your earnings.
For more information on the city licensing process and inspection, please visit our website.

Yes the city is geofenced for partners whom choose not to get the Columbus P2P TNC License. This geofence is 24/7. If you get a rider in the suburbs whom want to go to the city, you will be able to drop them off but will not receive a trip request while in the city.

Being as though I am not in Ohio, I do not have the Policy on the Ohio Legislation. I would be more than happy to put you in touch with the local team in order to best assist you with that issue.

Let me know if you have any questions about this for me and I will be able to best assist you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.