Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Melbourne Uber drivers, your profit and future is being undermined by overcharging drivers. A 7km trip in Melbourne's northern suburbs Saturday at 6.30pm, taking around 10 minutes, cost $47. That's the first problem. The second is that there is nowhere to inquire about this cost or to complain. The result is that I won't trust Uber again and of course, will warn others about this.

·
Registered
537 Posts
As Melbourne Uber drivers, your profit and future is being undermined by overcharging drivers. A 7km trip in Melbourne's northern suburbs Saturday at 6.30pm, taking around 10 minutes, cost $47. That's the first problem. The second is that there is nowhere to inquire about this cost or to complain. The result is that I won't trust Uber again and of course, will warn others about this.
only speculating but it looks like you might have been caught in a high surge. You see, fewer drivers have been on the road ever since the introduction of the GST. It's not that Drivers wont pay tax, they just don't like having to collect that tax out of an already slender paycheque, and Uber (despite press) did not increase prices to compensate for GST. In melb, the per KM rate only increased by 2.2% . Also because drivers have to pay GST on the whole fare, not just their cut, they are paying GST out of their pockets at a rate of 12.5%

So surges are happening more frequently due to this refusal to drive due to the new requirement to register and pay more GST then any other Aussie Biz, in combination with Ubers refusal to properly compensate drivers (meanwhile Uber gets good press for claiming that they have compensated us properly)

I have written to Media Watch about this bad press reporting, nobody checked the figures, they just took Uber on their word that it was a 10% increase. pathetic.

Sorry Space Deb that you got stung. It is an unfortunate consequence of the way Uber does business, the drivers are making less then $10 per hour in many cases. But in in the case of your charge, that driver probably would have gotten about 80%. Surge is complicated and does not make much sense, you see I think you will be charged surge even if you are not in surge territory, it's about where the driver was when they got pinged. I'd suggest making plenty of noise about it and tweeting to Uber Australia about it: the squeaky wheel should get the oil.

Uber might claim it was a glitch and reimburse, just to smooth things over.

·
Registered
537 Posts
SpaceDeb, if you do tweet, include @ShareDriveAus and we will retweet it out to our networks

·
Registered
18 Posts
sapecedeb please understand that drivers have no control over the price u will be charged all they can do is collect u and drop u off . it is uber who determines the rates

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
only speculating but it looks like you might have been caught in a high surge. You see, fewer drivers have been on the road ever since the introduction of the GST. It's not that Drivers wont pay tax, they just don't like having to collect that tax out of an already slender paycheque, and Uber (despite press) did not increase prices to compensate for GST. In melb, the per KM rate only increased by 2.2% . Also because drivers have to pay GST on the whole fare, not just their cut, they are paying GST out of their pockets at a rate of 12.5%

So surges are happening more frequently due to this refusal to drive due to the new requirement to register and pay more GST then any other Aussie Biz, in combination with Ubers refusal to properly compensate drivers (meanwhile Uber gets good press for claiming that they have compensated us properly)

I have written to Media Watch about this bad press reporting, nobody checked the figures, they just took Uber on their word that it was a 10% increase. pathetic.

Sorry Space Deb that you got stung. It is an unfortunate consequence of the way Uber does business, the drivers are making less then $10 per hour in many cases. But in in the case of your charge, that driver probably would have gotten about 80%. Surge is complicated and does not make much sense, you see I think you will be charged surge even if you are not in surge territory, it's about where the driver was when they got pinged. I'd suggest making plenty of noise about it and tweeting to Uber Australia about it: the squeaky wheel should get the oil.

Uber might claim it was a glitch and reimburse, just to smooth things over.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks abhy and Ghostwren. I will try and let Uber Australia know. Seems like drivers are caught in the middle.
tehe, the Tweet seems to have been picked up in France and Spain already....hopefully taking the scenic route back to Uber Aus.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think you will be charged surge even if you are not in surge territory, it's about where the driver was when they got pinged.
I think surge pricing zones relate to the riders location, not the drivers location (although I may stand to be corrected on that one). That's my experience with it anyway. Anyway, as you say, drivers don't set the rates, or the surge rate for that matter. That is set by Uber.

I recently picked up a first-time rider. She requested me during a 4.0 surge.
Straight-forward trip, Coburg-to-Northcote, no big delays.
Fare total: $52

Imagine the impression that makes.

As spacedeb said, there is nowhere to complain. No recourse. Except the driver rating. They can mark that down. Even though it's not the drivers doing.

It is surging more often now, for the reasons stated no doubt. But any extra dollars is being negated by lower driver ratings. I've still got a good rating, but it has gone down somewhat since I've driven in the surges (I'm now on hiatus again by the way).

And that is just another thing that's wrong with the 5-star rating system, as I have stated on UberPeople.Net more than once. And brought up with the folks at Uber Melbourne, more than once.

I've made over 500 trips. Every time, I gave the rider 5 stars. I do that because I think the whole 5 star thing is crap. I'm not going to sit in judgement of passengers, and I sure hope they don't sit in judgement of me. Not unless something is seriously wrong.

It needs to be made clear to riders that a sub-5 rating can actually lead to a driver being booted off the system. Drivers should not be punished for things outside of their control.

I will go on about the present rating system until the cows come home...

Reactions: MazdaX

·
Registered
412 Posts
there in the riders app it has the warning pop up were they have to manualy put the surge price in they app that they have the full knowledge what is happening so there is no nasty surprise...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
As Melbourne Uber drivers, your profit and future is being undermined by overcharging drivers.
That first sentence says it all. Pax think the driver is over charging them during surge. The driver has nothing to do with the surge rate, and Uber tells us as drivers that surge doesn't affect our ratings. Bullshit!

Can I ask you spacedeb - how did you rate this trip? Did you rate it poorly because of what you were charged? This is nothing against you, you got stung by the stupid surge rates, just wondering if the price of the trip influenced your rating of the driver. If Uber put the rates up to decent levels (say 20% less than taxi's) and actually charged and collected GST there would be a hell of a lot more drivers and surge wouldn't happen nearly as much.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Agree with pax rating drivers low especially based on surge fares. It really needs to be reiterated to riders that your're rating the driver, not the fare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts