Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
26,230 Posts
I have yet to hear this from an airport pickup, but to read these boards, it is common at airports across the U.S. of A. As a rule, I accept airport pings only if I am actually at the airport. Once I have left, I will not go back, except for 1,8 or better. I do not sit at the TNC yard.

In the cab world, short trips have been the bane of airport hackers since before I ever had my first hack licence. When I got my first D.C. hack licence, there were no holding pens at National. I used to snag Crystal City trips out of there after I dropped all the time. The police did not mind, since half the time they just did not want to deal with some cab driver's hollering and screaming over it. The cab drivers in the line were happy about it, since they did not want the Crystal City trips. It got to the point where I could walk up to the line and snag one. It was not uncommon for me to see a cab driver all bent out of shape; I walk up to the customer; ask him if he is going to Crystal City; he says that he is; I take him to my cab.

In fact, one time, there was this cab driver who was dancing all around his cab, hollering and screaming in whatever language, opening his doors and slamming them, opening his trunk and slamming it---he even opened his hood and slammed it. After I had finished writing the receipt for the customer, I walked up to this lady who was standing near his cab and clutching a small suitcase. "Yes, Ma'am, did you want to go to Crystal City?"

"Yes, how did you know?"

"Right this way, please, Ma'am", as I take her suitcase.

The driver came up to me, shook my hand and thanked me profusely. I took her to the cab, opened the door for her, put her into it, closed the door and went to open my trunk. As I was putting her suitcase into it, I noticed that a police was running that driver out of the line. Of course, it was illegal as all get out for a D.C. cab to run Crystal City from National, but I looked at it as gasolene money. I was going to deadhead back to the City, anyhow. It was worth the investment of twenty or so minutes to get a few dollars for gasolene. Ever since they built the holding pens, way back, and re-arranged the cab line, it is much harder to do this.

·
Premium Member
24,612 Posts
It's an epidemic.
They need to institute a MINIMUM fare from airport.
Agreed. Travelers, especially on business, are used to being gouged and paying out the ass when they travel. Why should we be any different?

Reactions: Emp9

·
13,039 Posts
It's a fee that the airport authorities impose for dropoffs and pickups
It goes to them. not to uber or the driver.
I consider it the 'parking fee' for having a dedicated lot at the airports.

·
Premium Member
24,612 Posts
Read the L.A. Boards. I dunno where the In n Out by LAX is but I know it's a minimum fare, like $2.63. I would go full roadman after waiting an hour and spending 20 minutes to get over there for that.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Its why I never wait at Dulles. Not waiting in a aye of 100+ to get a 8 dollar ride.

At BWI if it's over 20 i don't wait.

At Reagan it could be zero and I won't even think about it unless it's surging.

At Norfolk the air is meaningless. You get hammered with calls regardless not from the airport.

At Richmond the TA cops hassle you non stop. Won't pick up or drop off.

That's my airport Agenda lol

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
a passenger got upset ,because he has a 3 mile ride from airport to his place in dc. i explained to him , imagine i called you at 7am and asked you to pick me up from the airport lug my bags in and out, fight dc traffic and risk of accident and that i would give you $5 for your trouble. oh and btw use your car and your gas, you would probably hang up on me. airport takes a fee uber takes roughly 40% of the rest and what is the driver left with? i did say i know how you feel its not the passenger's fault , uber created this situation. he understood after that, now many wont care and expect you to make little to nothing and tell you to go do something else. but i think any decent person would get it.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number
sons of beaches uber this is why we all get "lost" and shuffle because of bullshit like this

Then the stupid pax says oh that sucks and its not fair and stiff you at the end anyway even if you give them good service they still find a way to screw you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts