Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen people come on this forum and lobby to unionize but this is my cry to every driver from New Orleans to get in this forum and let's come up with away to stop these Texas, Georgia, Tennessee mfers from taking our business. A strike won't work because we don't need to sit on the sidelines while they rack up but we have to act. Even the news has caught on to our troubles.

http://m.wdsu.com/news/taxicab-driv...ivers-with-outofstate-license-plates/40320664

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought about this subject and the WDSU story. Could it be approved Uber drivers using other vehicles? The app, driver and smartphone could easily be transferred to an unapproved vehicle. Not saying this the complete answer if at all but it could happen and would answer many questions.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
They are making it sound like people drive all they way to Nola from Houston for work. That doesn't make sense.

It's probably people who moved here and just haven't gotten around to updating their plates and license.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about this subject and the WDSU story. Could it be approved Uber drivers using other vehicles? The app, driver and smartphone could easily be transferred to an unapproved vehicle. Not saying this the complete answer if at all but it could happen and would answer many questions.
When my girlfriend had car issues a few months ago she told me she found away to even use rental cars on the app. So you may be on to something. It possibly is approved drivers switching cars. So for the airport pick ups I could believe that but I know people do come down here and drive for big events. Especially after all the great PR uber got from Mardi Gras and the "endless" possibilities of making a lot of money for big events.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are making it sound like people drive all they way to Nola from Houston for work. That doesn't make sense.

It's probably people who moved here and just haven't gotten around to updating their plates and license.
Either way they shouldn't be able to drive yet.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Maybe so, but I still don't understand why anyone would want to drive drunks around for 35 cents a mile. It isn't worth it.

·
Registered
174 Posts

A state trooper once told me that a new resident has 10 days to register their vehicle and change their driver's license. This is why Uber needs to be regulated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I picked up a rider yesterday who said she receives calls in New Orleans even though she has a 2006 car. She could have been totally lying, for some reason I've gotten a few riders who claim to be drivers but a five minute conversation reveals such ignorance that they can't possibly be real drivers. ("No, I tipped you through the app. I get paid tips through the app too.") But if she's telling the truth and she slipped through Uber's NOLA approval process it's possible people with out of state plates could also be getting approved to pickup in NOLA too. You don't need in state plates to pickup in JP/BR/Lafayette and there are supposed to be two separate driver lists but again, if someone slipped through with a car that was too old it's just as possible they also got through with out of state plates.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Uber is known for mass email the guaranteed rate to a larger market than your city.
Uber has oversaturated the market on purpose!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its all on uber, I've seen other forums for Chicago and DC and they deal with the same issues. uber allows anything and everything. I take issue with temp tags too. You should be required to have all your ducks in order to be able to drive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a pax tell me that, previous to me picking them up, they had requested a ride and a car with Texas plates pulled up to pick them up. They said that they wondered what a Texas car was doing picking up in NOLA. They thought that maybe it was someone trying to abduct the and rob them,so they canceled the ride, waited a few minutes, and requested another ride. I got their ping.

I told them to contact Uber, tell Uber the details, and say that they felt unsafe being picked up in NOLA with a car with out of state plates.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a pax tell me that, previous to me picking them up, they had requested a ride and a car with Texas plates pulled up to pick them up. They said that they wondered what a Texas car was doing picking up in NOLA. They thought that maybe it was someone trying to abduct the and rob them,so they canceled the ride, waited a few minutes, and requested another ride. I got their ping.

I told them to contact Uber, tell Uber the details, and say that they felt unsafe being picked up in NOLA with a car with out of state plates.
I don't think uber cares. They see themselves as above any rules or regulations

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sitting next to the cell lot in the grassy area and I kid you not a pickup truck with enterprise stickers (I use to work for enterprise) and Tennessee plates is waiting for a pickup. And I seen him drink from a dark colored bottle with blue logos on it (may be beer may not be)

·
Registered
174 Posts

They should also contact the transportation department at the airport as well as the taxi bureau in both Jefferson and Orleans. What's the point in having a regulator at GTC if they are going to just let anyone drive thru and pick up in Uber's pick up location?

·
Registered
23 Posts
When the big events come around there are also people using a regular vehicle not registered with uber or Lyft going to pick people up and offering them rides and getting paid in cash to take them to the airport or wherever.
People are figuring out a way to get around the system.
I thought if you had out of state plates you could only drive in certain areas of the city...
It's crazy.
The airport is really working on my nerves though. They want to make up rules when they want to but like today I parked on the white lines because my riders were walking towards me and there was no place to park. But a maintenance man came up and said you guys can't park here you have to park in the spaces provides or else you could be banned from coming to the airport I'm like what if there are no spaces then what? Like they pick and choose what they want to regulate. Annoying

·
Registered
174 Posts
When the big events come around there are also people using a regular vehicle not registered with uber or Lyft going to pick people up and offering them rides and getting paid in cash to take them to the airport or wherever.
People are figuring out a way to get around the system.
I thought if you had out of state plates you could only drive in certain areas of the city...
It's crazy.
The airport is really working on my nerves though. They want to make up rules when they want to but like today I parked on the white lines because my riders were walking towards me and there was no place to park. But a maintenance man came up and said you guys can't park here you have to park in the spaces provides or else you could be banned from coming to the airport I'm like what if there are no spaces then what? Like they pick and choose what they want to regulate. Annoying
Well those private vehicles not registered with Uber or Lyft are called Gypsy Cabs. They've been around since before these two kunckleheads that started Uber were even born. Talking about getting sound the system, that's exactly what Uber is doing.
As for the airport, they don't make the rules up as they go. The FAA controls what goes on at the airport and it is illegal in any jurisdiction to park on the while lines or in a crosswalk.
Indecently, I just stopped driving for Uber Monday, so I have nothing nice to say about them. I drove for them long enough to build up my own client base and I guess you could say I'm a gypsy now. But I stay on the forum to see just how unhappy y'all uber drivers still are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it's illegal then they need to make more parking spaces or put a timer to let the passenger know they have 5 min like Lyft does to get to the car before they are start being charged for keeping someone waiting for 10-15 mins.
Uber gets around the system but not as bad as these no uber no Lyft drivers. They should have to get a commercial license especially if you aren't with anyone. It's safer than a *********.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just like Taxi Cab drivers are telling passengers ways to get a cheaper fare.
For instances at the airport if they walk over to the Hilton they can get a cheaper fare. If they walk over they can catch Lyft too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If it's illegal then they need to make more parking spaces or put a timer to let the passenger know they have 5 min like Lyft does to get to the car before they are start being charged for keeping someone waiting for 10-15 mins.
Uber gets around the system but not as bad as these no uber no Lyft drivers. They should have to get a commercial license especially if you aren't with anyone. It's safer than a illegal cab.
Charged for waiting at the airport? That's ridiculous. Why put a timer or a sign when they have actual people walking around enforcing things? I know I'd rather be told to park somewhere else by the maintenance man than a police officer. I like being alive. And adding more parking spaces? Are you serious? What are they just gonna pull parking space out their butts because you feel there isn't ample parking? Would YOU get a commercial license? Would you pay commercial insurance? Would you adhere to the regulations the city requires for taxis as well as additional regulations the airport requires for taxis working on their property? Not for a $20 cab ride.... No way!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts