Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
There was an article in the Post a few months back saying that DC was the best city in the country for rideshare drivers, even better than New York. It was one of the things that made me try it out.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was an article in the Post a few months back saying that DC was the best city in the country for rideshare drivers, even better than New York. It was one of the things that made me try it out.
i would love to know how they define "best"
new york i can understand they pay the driver much higher rates

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I'm surprised the San Francisco forum isn't busier.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i would love to know how they define "best"
new york i can understand they pay the driver much higher rates
They also have much higher expenses. They also may have more people who are okay with regular taxis. They also have a much bigger/better mass transit system, which means people may rideshare for short in-town runs, but catch the subway for long runs. Simply looking at per-mile rates is like looking at restaurant prices and assuming they expensive ones are more profitable ... it ain't the case, because there's lots more data that goes into the formula.

I just googled it; it was based on this study, and it was more about the cites' potential for a ridesharing market, not current profitability for drivers; that data probably doesn't exist. Still, just from reading the other forums here, I'd bet DC is one of the 3 or 4 best cities for it.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They also have much higher expenses. They also may have more people who are okay with regular taxis. They also have a much bigger/better mass transit system, which means people may rideshare for short in-town runs, but catch the subway for long runs. Simply looking at per-mile rates is like looking at restaurant prices and assuming they expensive ones are more profitable ... it ain't the case, because there's lots more data that goes into the formula.
yeah, but i think only new york fits into that category. where else in the USA do regular uber drivers have to go thru the same stuff taxi cab drivers do?

so other than NY, I'd say the price per mile, then per minute, is definitely the key factor in deciding if driving for uber is profitable

·
Premium Member
26,816 Posts
where else in the USA do regular uber drivers have to go thru the same stuff taxi cab drivers do?
This is precisely one of the cab drivers' major complaints, and a legitimate one, at that.

In answer to your question, Houston does require special licences and fingerprinting. There may be other jurisdictions that require similar. From what I understand, St. Louis wants to do something similar, so the TNCs are suing. There have been some measures under consideration in Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Washington and Portland, Oregon, as well. Some places in Florida wanted to require some minimal licencing of vehicles and drivers.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Or, we spend more time on internet because DC drivers dont like to talk to each other in person?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Or, we spend more time on internet because DC drivers dont like to talk to each other in person?
I wouldn't mind an uber driver meet up.. I think it would be cool to see the different kinds of people behind these anonymous user names lol

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I wouldn't mind an uber driver meet up.. I think it would be cool to see the different kinds of people behind these anonymous user names lol
It was a joke. :p

Dulles cell lot. Im there 3 times a week. Made few friends. Helped one guy quit smoking after 30 years.

Even the Uber Black drivers at Dulles are cool, even though i dont speak their native language.

If you ever meet Sam, he drives Silver 2014 Ford Explorer. Ask him why his name is Sam. When he told me the story, i couldnt breath from laughing so hard. Its best if he tells you the story behind his name. Awesome dude.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I only stayed at the lot 1 time. Night time, just dropped someone off, stopped at the gas station and went to the lot..I was eating a big ass subway sandwich and this young dude approached me and we started talking, he got a ping like 15 minutes later and mine came shortly after.. I wouldn't mind chilling at the lot again if I dropped someone off at Dulles but I wouldn't go just to hangout lol that shit is far..

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
****** gon start callin it "The Lot" n shit lol
"I was at The Lot for like 2 minutes and got a ping, didn't even have time for a cigarette."

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I only stayed at the lot 1 time. Night time, just dropped someone off, stopped at the gas station and went to the lot..I was eating a big ass subway sandwich and this young dude approached me and we started talking, he got a ping like 15 minutes later and mine came shortly after.. I wouldn't mind chilling at the lot again if I dropped someone off at Dulles but I wouldn't go just to hangout lol that shit is far..
On the 2nd day after new Dulles parking rule was enforced. The lot was packed to the brim. Drivers were conversing for hours. We were so bored after 2 hours of waiting, we wanted to order female strippers.
Uber black/SUV drivers were chillin by the dozen in fold out chairs.
I should have taken a pic, there were dozens of cell phones in a pile waiting for ping. Half the people would walk to gas station, while others would keep on eye on the cell phones if it got a ping. Best team work i have seen among Uber drivers.

After 3 hours of wait, if one driver got a ping, every one would clap and celebrate. The energy and the crowd was awesome. I didnt want to leave when i got a ping.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Lol it sounds great and all but wouldn't the 35 minute drive back to DC to pick up fares be worth it instead of hours waiting for a $40 ride back into the city? I guess it's just more about meeting people and hanging out, which I can also appreciate

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Lol it sounds great and all but wouldn't the 35 minute drive back to DC to pick up fares be worth it instead of hours waiting for a $40 ride back into the city? I guess it's just more about meeting people and hanging out, which I can also appreciate
And sitting in DC traffic for 20min to get to PAX? Pass.

Go to Arlington instead. East False Church Metro is a good stop to get pax if you driving empty to DC. But i66 is stand still towards DC during rush hour.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Well I'll be dropping my gf there at night tomorrow so I'll grab something to eat at the gas station, chill at the lot and hang out in hopes of a trip back to the city.. Hopefully meet some of you fine gentlemen lol

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Well I'll be dropping my gf there at night tomorrow so I'll grab something to eat at the gas station, chill at the lot and hang out in hopes of a trip back to the city.. Hopefully meet some of you fine gentlemen lol
Gas station food???? :confused:

Wendys has amazing BBQ Ranch Salad. Be sure to ask for Spicy chicken with your salad.

Every salad Wendys had in the past decade was great, and for the price you cant beat it. Volume varries from store to store, so your YMMV.

Sweetgreen is garbage, $10 and you dont even get meat protein or most important likable veggies. No tomatoes! Everything is green, no other color veggies or fruits in your salad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts