Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rain is good for surges & all but with rain comes the added risk component..I just witnessed a silver cab T-bone a Uber driver on Florida Ave NW right across from the Howard Theater @ 1am..I hope that wasn't any of you guys..it did make me better understand to back off the gas pedal & just take it easy eventually we'll get there..but an accident with a pax & all..a little rain ain't nothing compared to the storms that may follow..be safe throughout the weekend drivers

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Few weeks ago i was changing lanes on 16th st to the right lane, because there was a car ahead waiting to make a left turn. As i get in to right lane, i hear a honk from far a way and a taxi cab gets on the my ass.
As we pass the light, the taxi cab pulls up next to me and tells me; "dont get in front of me, when light turns yellow, i speed up!" o_O
Told him he needs to slow down when light turns yellow, not speed up. He kept saying he always speeds up for yellow light.

The worst part i have seen about taxis in DC, they take long naps when light turns green.

Saw a taxi hit an Uber car on K street, it was in the circle where everyone picks up pax. There was no damage, but Uber driver(older lady) was huffing and puffing, collecting info from taxi driver, as PAX sat in her car and waited patiently.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I really don't like driving in the district..... especially in the rain. The surges and pings are there, yes, but is it worth it???? Not sure the risk is worth it. I've done my share of rides (not at night) and mostly after I drop off pax usually I go back to Virginia.

Had several recent pax complain about foreign drivers not knowing the area.... one was out at Dulles and didn't know where the Reston metro was, LOL, the GPS didn't have it. Another was going 40 mph on the beltway LOL, pax was terrified.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just because you know how to drive doesn't mean others do and that's the risk driving in the rain. That's why it's crazy to drive for regular rate during the rain. I've seen so many taxi -uber accidents, especially from u turns in the middle of the road.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't mind driving in the rain, I tell pax, Ill get you there SAFE, so it may take a few minutes longer, they seem to be OK with that. But I have seen Uber drivers in DC do stupid shit, one last night was stopped in the middle of Connecticut on the bridge accepting a ping, taking up both lanes. He had a huge phone I could see it through his back window, it was like a tablet...lol/ Hey pull over then figure it out. I also had my first no show, easiest 5 bucks Ive ever made. Oh and I cancelled some college kids outside a bar, there were 5 of them trying to get in my wagon. They looked super sketch, so I locked doors cancelled and drove away, not sure I was waiting 5 minutes but i was ok with it. As a newbie I am learning the ropes, mainly by reading threads here. Its raining, slow down, look both ways and DDSS!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't know why so many uber drivers seem to do risky stuff. I haven't witnessed any accidents, but I have seen really dumb moves by Uber drivers picking up/dropping off pax and responding/looking at the app. Seen running red light; almost hit pedestrians; stopped in middle of two lanes at intersection waiting for pax to cross street; go wrong way into one way street, etc etc. I agree it is NOT EASY but you HAVE to control yourself and your vehicle and always do the right thing safety-wise.

·
24,201 Posts
The worst part i have seen about taxis in DC, they take long naps when light turns green.

There was no damage, but Uber driver(older lady) was huffing and puffing, collecting info from taxi driver, as PAX sat in her car and waited patiently.
The driver is not "napping", he is trying to help a lawyer get rich. The driver hopes that you see the light turn green then start without looking, as you assume that he will go. All that you need is the slightest tap on the bumper and the door will open, the driver will roll out onto the street, grab the back of his neck and small of his back, start writhing and hollering "Me HOO-ritt, me HOO-itt!!!!".

On the South Georgetown collision, it appears that some lawyer is about to have not one, but TWO, count 'em, TWO new clients.

I have seen really dumb moves by Uber drivers you
The absolute worst offenders are these Uber Black/SUV drivers with Chevrolet Suburbans. In addition to trying to help a lawyer get rich, these jackwadds do other dangerous and stupid things. On a side note, I have seen more than one passenger in one of these things as he berated the driver for not knowing where he was going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts