Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently decided to give the Uber support phone line a call in the Bay Area after reading several articles about how Uber was underpaying fares and over-charging riders.

The first few rides I decided to look into all had issues, and Uber even changed 2 of them for me. However, after about 4-6 rides in a row that showed calculation problems the agent I was speaking to randomly had to put me on hold. After she came back we kept looking and she did her best to justify the discrepancies, but had to go on hold again.

She came back and suddenly there were no more calculation problems with any of the other rides. Apparently Uber is taking a roughly $1.75 hidden fee called something along the lines of an "app maintenance fee". This comes directly out of your fare ALONG WITH the booking fee, and THEN they take their commission (i pay 20% but some pay 25%).

She said that the point of this fee was to allow Uber to do constant updates to their platform and increase positive user experience for riders and passengers. I think it also had something to do with city regulation compliance.

Personally i think that it is completely unethical to take a "fee" from the drivers to build your apps better. That's what the commission is for. We pay Uber like 3 or 4 fees before we get anything... AND they take a cut of our BOOST as well.

I am debating if it is worth it to take screenshots of my rides i want to contest and go through the BP raising process of dealing with Uber customer service, but i have a strong feeling the end result will be the same as if i did nothing.

All this started because i was researching how to deal with Uber's insurance after being rear-ended with a passenger in the car. THANKS UBER :)

**I still plan on driving Uber for anyone who thinks this is meant to steer you away. Just pay attention to your pay statements

EDIT: Ride Details posted below on this page

·
Premium Member
59,618 Posts
I recently decided to give the Uber support phone line a call in the Bay Area after reading several articles about how Uber was underpaying fares and over-charging riders.

The first few rides I decided to look into all had issues, and Uber even changed 2 of them for me. However, after about 4-6 rides in a row that showed calculation problems the agent I was speaking to randomly had to put me on hold. After she came back we kept looking and she did her best to justify the discrepancies, but had to go on hold again.

She came back and suddenly there were no more calculation problems with any of the other rides. Apparently Uber is taking a roughly $1.75 hidden fee called something along the lines of an "app maintenance fee". This comes directly out of your fare ALONG WITH the booking fee, and THEN they take their commission (i pay 20% but some pay 25%).

She said that the point of this fee was to allow Uber to do constant updates to their platform and increase positive user experience for riders and passengers. I think it also had something to do with city regulation compliance.

Personally i think that it is completely unethical to take a "fee" from the drivers to build your apps better. That's what the commission is for. We pay Uber like 3 or 4 fees before we get anything... AND they take a cut of our BOOST as well.

I am debating if it is worth it to take screenshots of my rides i want to contest and go through the BP raising process of dealing with Uber customer service, but i have a strong feeling the end result will be the same as if i did nothing.

All this started because i was researching how to deal with Uber's insurance after being rear-ended with a passenger in the car. THANKS UBER :)

**I still plan on driving Uber for anyone who thinks this is meant to steer you away. Just pay attention to your pay statements
It gets worse every day !

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts

"Shocker" :)

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
People, he seems to be talking about the safe rider fee, the booking fee, the fee that's apparently called app maintenance fee now. It is $1.75, raised from $1.55. This fee has been added to every fare since 2015. Customers pay minimum fare of $6.75. We get 75% of $5, cuz the fare is 5. There's always a new person "finding out" what is alreay public knowledge. It's not sneaky, you aren't being scammed. You get 75% of the rate in yr fee addendum. Uber charges whatever they want to the customer. It's not hard to understand. And businesses on Earth are often not fair to the people who do he actual hard work. Thisbis older than Uber and most of u don't care until u did Uber so stfu about how unfair they are to you. I've been with them 3 years and dont even getbto keep the 80%. But that's America, that's capitalism. Go work elsewhere if it's so bad. Or organize the resistance. I can't afford to lose my income so I'm not fighting the masters.

Reactions: Yomann and Aharm

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
People, he seems to be talking about the safe rider fee, the booking fee, the fee that's apparently called app maintenance fee now. It is $1.75, raised from $1.55. This fee has been added to every fare since 2015. Customers pay minimum fare of $6.75. We get 75% of $5, cuz the fare is 5. There's always a new person "finding out" what is alreay public knowledge. It's not sneaky, you aren't being scammed. You get 75% of the rate in yr fee addendum. Uber charges whatever they want to the customer. It's not hard to understand. And businesses on Earth are often not fair to the people who do he actual hard work. Thisbis older than Uber and most of u don't care until u did Uber so stfu about how unfair they are to you. I've been with them 3 years and dont even getbto keep the 80%. But that's America, that's capitalism. Go work elsewhere if it's so bad. Or organize the resistance. I can't afford to lose my income so I'm not fighting the masters.
Strange Fruit while we are getting paid based on our agreement and the $1.75 is the safe rider/booking fee. Upfront pricing is basically Uber deciding on a surge multiplier adding it to the rider's total and then not passing it on to the driver. Our agreement also states:

You: (i) appoint Company as your limited payment collection agent solely for the purpose of accepting the Fare, applicable Tolls and, depending on the region and/or if requested by you, applicable taxes and fees from the User on your behalf via the payment processing functionality facilitated by the Uber Services; and (ii) agree that payment made by User to Company (or to an Affiliate of Company acting as an agent of Company) shall be considered the same as payment made directly by User to you.

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
Strange Fruit while we are getting paid based on our agreement and the $1.75 is the safe rider/booking fee. Upfront pricing is basically Uber deciding on a surge multiplier adding it to the rider's total and then not passing it on to the driver. Our agreement also states:

You: (i) appoint Company as your limited payment collection agent solely for the purpose of accepting the Fare, applicable Tolls and, depending on the region and/or if requested by you, applicable taxes and fees from the User on your behalf via the payment processing functionality facilitated by the Uber Services; and (ii) agree that payment made by User to Company (or to an Affiliate of Company acting as an agent of Company) shall be considered the same as payment made directly by User to you.
Yes, but the name changing fee is old news. The fee is real, the news is old.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
no its specifically different than the booking fee. idk why you would be so against finding out when a company is screwing you over.

They take the safe ride fee, booking fee, and app maintenance fee. This tactic of creating misinformation about charges, and constantly trying to rename them definitley creates a lot of confusion.

So unless you have something constructive to say on the subject, stop bashing hard workers who are concerned about losing potentially 10% of their pay to a F***ing hidden fee.

Just because your business model happens to attract people of little means, doesn't give you the right to screw them over at every turn

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
I used to ask people what their fare was when the up front started. It always added up correctly. That's also when the boost started. (for me anyways, I think others were getting boosts before me, but back then I was getting 80%, and believe it or not, for half of 2016 they were giving me $5.24 on all the minimum fares. That's 80% of the entire $6.55 fare, fee inlcuded. Idk why, but anyways.) One of the first times I checked was on a 2.2X boost to Oakland. She paid about the base rate, I made about twice that. The up front fares were always pretty right on witht the quickest google map route's miles & minutes (that's how I checked, doing the math in my head while driving them, based on the google maps numbers). I wonder if they waited a few months to start the discrepancies.

We should all start asking again. And continue driving the longer routes, if you aren't already doing that. It's actually kind of satisfying. Always take the 280 south from the city when going to SFO San Bruno, whatever. It's about 4 extra miles and only adds about 4 minutes. When you get a 2X boost that's like 8 miles in 4 minutes.

no its specifically different than the booking fee
So there's an extra $1.75 on top of the previous $1.75 fee? They are adding $3.50 to every fare, making the minimum fare now $8.50?

And btw, does everryone know that when you have a short time rider in a pool, a 2nd pickup that gets dropped off first, they pay much less than the miles & minutes in their trip report often. You can report the fare and say it doesn't add up to what the mile & minutes say. About 50% of the time you can convince them to adjust the fare to reflect the miles & minutes, only worth it when it's surged or boosted. It's barely worth it really, just amusing when the evil nefarious company jsut gives you money cuz they run a leaky ship.

Reactions: Yomann

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I used to ask people what their fare was when the up front started. It always added up correctly. That's also when the boost started. (for me anyways, I think others were getting boosts before me, but back then I was getting 80%, and believe it or not, for half of 2016 they were giving me $5.24 on all the minimum fares. That's 80% of the entire $6.55 fare, fee inlcuded. Idk why, but anyways.) One of the first times I checked was on a 2.2X boost to Oakland. She paid about the base rate, I made about twice that. The up front fares were always pretty right on witht the quickest google map route's miles & minutes (that's how I checked, doing the math in my head while driving them, based on the google maps numbers). I wonder if they waited a few months to start the discrepancies.

We should all start asking again. And continue driving the longer routes, if you aren't already doing that. It's actually kind of satisfying. Always take the 280 south from the city when going to SFO San Bruno, whatever. It's about 4 extra miles and only adds about 4 minutes. When you get a 2X boost that's like 8 miles in 4 minutes.

So there's an extra $1.75 on top of the previous $1.75 fee? They are adding $3.50 to every fare, making the minimum fare now $8.50?
Uber is constantly adjusting the algorithms to better suit them. I would not be surprised if in the beginning the fare match most of the time, but someone said, "You know Google maps give you three options when you look for alternate routes. Why do we have the upfront pricing calculate the most expensive one. Driver will most likely take the fastest route since that is the default and we can pocket the rest."

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i found out those "pre-set fares" are based on their estimates of how long the trip should take. When i called to check on the hotline they used the fair estimator. When i asked them to calculate manually they got different numbers and adjusted fares.

Basically they pay you what they think the ride should have been sometimes. And you don't know when that is unless you check each ride.

I really don't understand the POOL pricing system so i can only speak to UberX rides for certain.

also when you download your pay statement as a CSV file the timestamps are all wrong, and conveniently that is usually the information they use to look up trips on their end. So you have to dig through your online ride summaries to match the together.

also i totally knew UBER isn't a great deal in terms of how much you make versus car maintenance and all that. But for them to take the effort to take every penny they can without you knowing is like an injustice you just don't see coming because who the f**k would do that?

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
Who picks up around 30th in the richmond, and to get south of the park, goes all the way to the coast to take Great Highway? When you see the inquisitive look in yr rear view mirror, you just say there's a slow down on Park Presidio and "I like to go the fastest way". Fulton & Geary are both fast going west. They'll end up happy.

i found out those "pre-set fares" are based on their estimates of how long the trip should take. When i called to check on the hotline they used the fair estimator. When i asked them to calculate manually they got different numbers and adjusted fares.

Basically they pay you what they think the ride should have been sometimes. And you don't know when that is unless you check each ride.

I really don't understand the POOL pricing system so i can only speak to UberX rides for certain.

also when you download your pay statement as a CSV file the timestamps are all wrong, and conveniently that is usually the information they use to look up trips on their end. So you have to dig through your online ride summaries to match the together.

also i totally knew UBER isn't a great deal in terms of how much you make versus car maintenance and all that. But for them to take the effort to take every penny they can without you knowing is like an injustice you just don't see coming because who the f**k would do that?
You haven't answered. So they are adding a $1.75 fee on top of the $1.75 booking fee (or whatever it's called now), so they add$3.50 to every fare now? The minimum fare is now $8.50?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what? no im saying they take it from your fare. YOU pay them the fee. but it isn't listed as the "UBER FEE" on your statement.

the booking fee is deducted obviously along with the safe rider fee, and then YOU pay them a "App Maintenance Fee". The DRIVER.

As far as minimum fares go i have for sure gotten a ride that i was only paid like $4 for so idk what you're going on about with $8.50

Call them yourself if you don't believe me

i mean the fares they ended up adjusting were off by up to 40-50% when i called. Thats HUGE

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
no its specifically different than the booking fee. idk why you would be so against finding out when a company is screwing you over.

They take the safe ride fee, booking fee, and app maintenance fee. This tactic of creating misinformation about charges, and constantly trying to rename them definitley creates a lot of confusion.

So unless you have something constructive to say on the subject, stop bashing hard workers who are concerned about losing potentially 10% of their pay to a F***ing hidden fee.

Just because your business model happens to attract people of little means, doesn't give you the right to screw them over at every turn
They don't take a safe ride fee. They call it a booking fee after someone got hammered in the face and people complained that Uber said they had the best safety in the world. The best safety that god ever created.
And we don't lose any pay to a fee. Anymore than every other worker who is paid unfairly too little is losing money to the profit margins that their masters enjoy. They get paid what their master offers them. Morally, you could say they are losing the money, since they put in most of the actual work, but no money is actually lost. Uber tells us what they pay us, and so far everytime I do the math, I make that much. I check & chekc and yet to find it shorted. They also tell us about the fee, but not this second fee. We were never entitled to that fee. They add it on top of the fare rate that we drive for. Renaming doesn't create confusion if you do what I do and just call it a fee. The wrod fee means "cuz we can". The name of a fee is irrelevant. Try it. Look at every fee in yr life and see if the name matters. I got a fix it ticket signed and to turn it in I had to pay a compliance fee. A fee for complying. Which suggests if I don't comply I don't pay a fee. But I have to comply or it's not a fix it ticket anymore and it's just a full on full price ticket. What it means is "give us some money while you're here doing something".

But is there really a hidden fee fo $1.75 on top of the publicly known fee?

what? no im saying they take it from your fare. YOU pay them the fee. but it isn't listed as the "UBER FEE" on your statement.

the booking fee is deducted obviously along with the safe rider fee, and then YOU pay them a "App Maintenance Fee". The DRIVER.

As far as minimum fares go i have for sure gotten a ride that i was only paid like $4 for so idk what you're going on about with $8.50

Call them yourself if you don't believe me

i mean the fares they ended up adjusting were off by up to 40-50% when i called. Thats HUGE
I haven't paid a fee out of the fares. I frequently do the math on my fares. It's always within a cent. And sometimes they pay me the extra cent, it's not a skimming thing. .And you can get legitimate fares adjusted in your favor. Just pick a random trip and ask them to check it. I've done this and they'll just adjust it to some other number, sometimes in yr favor, sometimes in their's. So it's hard to tlel what happened with you. I've messed with them a lot, cuz I'm pretty lame and that's what passes fotr enterntainment in my life. I've reported some other thing that isn't the fare, and they'll jsut adjust the fare, often in my favor. And I'll be like "I wasn't alking about the fare, why did you adjust it", then they'll adjust it again. If I compare the higher number with the origianl number, I'd say originally I got paid a smaller percent of "what it should be."

The $8,50 is $5 minimum fare plus the booking fee of $1.75, plus yr hidden fee of $1.75

Has anyone else had $1.75 taken out of their fares?
I still get 75% of $2 + $1.15/mile + $.22/minute. I've yet to see that come up $1.75 short. That would be pretty dramatic difference. The minimum payout would be $2 instead of $3.75. Or $4 for you people who didn't get your 20% taken away (yep, still bitter)

Just screenshot one of the trips where they took $1.75. This is pretty dramatic news. That's a serious fee, and this is the place to put it (occassionaly journalist come hear trolling for stories, and we're in an Uber bashing media cycle right now). I can't figure out how they're hiding it from me.

And I'm a bitter, sarcastic person, but I'm fair. Don't get yr feelings hurt by my opinions. And if I say something wrong, just refute it. Like you did when you pointed out that the hidden fee is charged to riders, it's taken out of our fare. I misunderstood before. But now I want to know how they take that out without me knowing. Cuz my rides that I've checked, all add up correctly. $1.75 is a lot to take out when you look at the short trips that payout $4-6.

Reactions: Yomann

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
They don't take a safe ride fee. They call it a booking fee after someone got hammered in the face and people complained that Uber said they had the best safety in the world. The best safety that god ever created.
And we don't lose any pay to a fee. Anymore than every other worker who is paid unfairly too little is losing money to the profit margins that their masters enjoy. They get paid what their master offers them. Morally, you could say they are losing the money, since they put in most of the actual work, but no money is actually lost. Uber tells us what they pay us, and so far everytime I do the math, I make that much. I check & chekc and yet to find it shorted. They also tell us about the fee, but not this second fee. We were never entitled to that fee. They add it on top of the fare rate that we drive for. Renaming doesn't create confusion if you do what I do and just call it a fee. The wrod fee means "cuz we can". The name of a fee is irrelevant. Try it. Look at every fee in yr life and see if the name matters. I got a fix it ticket signed and to turn it in I had to pay a compliance fee. A fee for complying. Which suggests if I don't comply I don't pay a fee. But I have to comply or it's not a fix it ticket anymore and it's just a full on full price ticket. What it means is "give us some money while you're here doing something".

But is there really a hidden fee fo $1.75 on top of the publicly known fee?

I haven't paid a fee out of the fares. I frequently do the math on my fares. It's always within a cent. And sometimes they pay me the extra cent, it's not a skimming thing. .And you can get legitimate fares adjusted in your favor. Just pick a random trip and ask them to check it. I've done this and they'll just adjust it to some other number, sometimes in yr favor, sometimes in their's. So it's hard to tlel what happened with you. I've messed with them a lot, cuz I'm pretty lame and that's what passes fotr enterntainment in my life. I've reported some other thing that isn't the fare, and they'll jsut adjust the fare, often in my favor. And I'll be like "I wasn't alking about the fare, why did you adjust it", then they'll adjust it again. If I compare the higher number with the origianl number, I'd say originally I got paid a smaller percent of "what it should be."

The $8,50 is $5 minimum fare plus the booking fee of $1.75, plus yr hidden fee of $1.75
here is the screenshot.

the selected rides are in yellow and the original / corrected fares are in orange.

unfortunately i can't "SHOW" you how UBER is taking fees without you knowing, but i can show you the fees that are listed on my 2016 tax summary.

Split Fare USD 3.00 Airport Fee USD 200.35 Booking fee USD 1036.95; as well as the standard "uber fee" subtraction which is simply the commission

no mention of a "app maintenance fee" which they say is sort of sporadic and varies city to city.

I also have the emails proving that these amounts are correct and have been acknowledged / adjusted if the bland spreadsheet doesn't do it for you lol

Attachments

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
here is the screenshot.

the selected rides are in yellow and the original / corrected fares are in orange.

unfortunately i can't "SHOW" you how UBER is taking fees without you knowing, but i can show you the fees that are listed on my 2016 tax summary.

Split Fare USD 3.00 Airport Fee USD 200.35 Booking fee USD 1036.95; as well as the standard "uber fee" subtraction which is simply the commission

no mention of a "app maintenance fee" which they say is sort of sporadic and varies city to city.
Customer pays a split fare fee when they split the fare with someone. It affects us 0, yet they put it in our tax thing cuz it's part of the revenue. But it is paid by the customer, on top of the fare, I assume 25 cents each rider. Airport fee is paid to the airport, which airports charge to transportation companies whenever they enter the terminal to pick up or drop off. The customer pays that, it doesn't come out of your payout. If the fare is $20, you get yr percent of that (80% u lucky bastard, I lost mine cuz of an account change that I had no choice but to make).
The rider also pays the $1.75 booking fee which does not come out of yr fare, and the $3.85 SFO fee, which does not come out of yr fare. Different airports have different fees, if at all. I only know SFO's. Previous company I drove with, had a eprmit to drive there, and a transponder. Every time I entered terminals it billed them $3.85. Same thing they bill Uber, and which Uber takes from each rider that goes there ever since they made it legal to pick up there.

The math on the screenshot is correct (if the miles & minutes are accurate. I wasn't in yr car with a stopwatch and odometer). Then they adjusted it up from there on those highlighted rides. Doesn't say why they did, but like I said, I get them to adjust fares now & then simply by reporting some other issue. Idk what they were thinking, but support is famous for being nonsensical. We love them for that. A lot of fans here on the forum. WE lvoe them bigly. They greatest support god ever made. They ask for start and end points, or a trip ID. I say those are already in the trip report and I'm not even writing about the fare. Then they raise the fare for me and never reply to the think I actually said. And my issue is usually petty so I'm ahppy witht the extra $3.

So are you sayihg they take $1,75 app maintenance fee just every once in a while from arbitrary trips?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Customer pays a split fare fee when they split the fare with someone. It affects us 0, yet they put it in our tax thing cuz it's part of the revenue. But it is paid by the customer, on top of the fare, I assume 25 cents each rider. Airport fee is paid to the airport, which airports charge to transportation companies whenever they enter the terminal to pick up or drop off. The customer pays that, it doesn't come out of your payout. If the fare is $20, you get yr percent of that (80% u lucky bastard, I lost mine cuz of an account change that I had no choice but to make).
The rider also pays the $1.75 booking fee which does not come out of yr fare, and the $3.85 SFO fee, which does not come out of yr fare. Different airports have different fees, if at all. I only know SFO's. Previous company I drove with, had a eprmit to drive there, and a transponder. Every time I entered terminals it billed them $3.85. Same thing they bill Uber, and which Uber takes from each rider that goes there ever since they made it legal to pick up there.

The math on the screenshot is correct (if the miles & minutes are accurate. I wasn't in yr car with a stopwatch and odometer). Then they adjusted it up from there on those highlighted rides. Doesn't say why they did, but like I said, I get them to adjust fares now & then simply by reporting some other issue. Idk what they were thinking, but support is famous for being nonsensical. We love them for that. A lot of fans here on the forum. WE lvoe them bigly. They greatest support god ever made. They ask for start and end points, or a trip ID. I say those are already in the trip report and I'm not even writing about the fare. Then they raise the fare for me and never reply to the think I actually said. And my issue is usually petty so I'm ahppy witht the extra $3.

So are you sayihg they take $1,75 app maintenance fee just every once in a while from arbitrary trips?
yes, the agent described it as being specific to certain cities at certain times.

and "once in a while" is pretty relative term. 10% of 500 rides per month is 50 rides

50* ~2-10 = between $100 and $500 per driver per month that they just happen to collect "extra" from

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
yes, the agent described it as being specific to certain cities at certain times.
They say that about everything. LIke everything. It's their go to bullshit vague answer. Just ask everyone here. They'll corroborate that.

I've only been in SF for 3 years. So: Which certain times? It wasn't taken out of the highlighted fares in yr spreadsheet. I did the math. You got paid 80% of the SF rate for the miles & minutes in the spreadsheet. Then they raised it for you. I've had lots fo fares raised too, just for fun. It's not worth the time for the few dollars, but it's fun sometimes when yr waiting for a ping.

So, is anyone else having $1.75 taken out of any of their fares? I check my fares as I go. AFter 3 years and a month of doing this, I know what to expect from a trip. When I think it seems low I do the math. I've yet to find one short of what it should be based on 75% of $2+$1.15/mile+$.22/minute. And waht's funny about the "app maintencance" title is that is what the stated reason for the booking fee is. It just seems like this guy is unfamiliar with how out of touch support people are with what's really going on. Uber is not a tightly run ship. In 2015 when the heat map was malfunctioning, I told support. One of them actually said "this looks good, this could lead to more riders requesting rides", as if my display was affecting the world. I mean, we all have our experineces that tell us support is clueless. And they most definitely adjust rides just for no reason at all fi you ask them too (careful, it back fires sometimes

What I don't understand is the very first column has a "fare", and a "commission". But those numbers are about a $1 less than what they payed you based on minutes and miles in the final "My Fare" column. & In both cases the adjustments were only a few cents added to the trips.

nicolephlsfo help us. I'm obsessing and getting nowhere. What's going on? Where is this $1,75 hidden fee in all of this? The spreadsheet actually makes it look like he got paid for a slightly higher fare than what the customer paid, minus the 20% and thew fact the customer also paid $1.75 fee etc etc. Help!

·
Registered
179 Posts

Maintenance fee and booking fee? Wow. Uber is really putting the squeeze on.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts