Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who was the unlucky driver to pick this guy up? Did it go alright?

I'm NB on coast highway and get a request for Cardiff. It should have been 2 minutes from where I was. They are doing some construction and have the intersection closed - I can't cross the tracks. It'd take me 5-6 minutes to detour. Called rider immediately and explained the situation. Seemed okay with it. As you know, it's a long stretch of highway before you can detour. As I'm approaching (ie, 30 seconds away) he calls I answer. I tell him I'm pulling up. Unhappy, 'where are you.' I'm very close to pick you up. I am approaching you now. He's now becoming irate. 'No like where are you I don't see you...' [shouldn't he be able to see me approaching in app? o_O] I didn't know how to address the attitude. I pause and think about cancelling, and what I'm doing with my life (lol. No, but seriously). Apparently he doesn't appreciate the moment of silence. 'Fcku you then.'

I told him he was being rude and ended the call. I don't really understand how you can be so rude to someone that you're about to ride in a car with. Sorry to whomever picked him up. I'm over it, just curious if one of our own picked him up.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts

I'm NB on coast highway and get a request for Cardiff. It should have been 2 minutes from where I was. They are doing some construction and have the intersection closed - I can't cross the tracks. It'd take me 5-6 minutes to detour. Called rider immediately and explained the situation. Seemed okay with it. As you know, it's a long stretch of highway before you can detour. As I'm approaching (ie, 30 seconds away) he calls I answer. I tell him I'm pulling up. Unhappy, 'where are you.' I'm very close to pick you up. I am approaching you now. He's now becoming irate. 'No like where are you I don't see you...' [shouldn't he be able to see me approaching in app? o_O] I didn't know how to address the attitude. I pause and think about cancelling, and what I'm doing with my life (lol. No, but seriously). Apparently he doesn't appreciate the moment of silence. 'Fcku you then.'

I told him he was being rude and ended the call. I don't really understand how you can be so rude to someone that you're about to ride in a car with. Sorry to whomever picked him up. I'm over it, just curious if one of our own picked him up.
Good job not kissing his drunken ass, we need to train these ahols to respect our service.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I got a guy like that near Belly Up at a restaurant on Cedros, he called was screaming, I said , "yes sir, be right there" with every intention of hiding and cancel no show, cha ching outa there.... he calls as I drive away, I tap decline call. Yep, if they call me or show any belligerence before the trip starts they will be paying cancel no show. We gotta train these paxholes, I will also do a drive off in their face if they pull that "be right there, be right there....one more minute" crap. Same thing if they set pin on dangerous high traffic corner, in that case I call and tell them" too dangerous to pick up" right before I cancel no show.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
What’s interesting about drunk passengers is that they think they are always right and they know everything like the best way to get to their house .
It’s like drinking liquor makes you instantly super smart and you’re not afraid to show it off.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, if they call me or show any belligerence before the trip starts they will be paying cancel no show.
You cancel on riders for calling you before the trip starts?

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you mean if they are belligerent over the phone, or are belligerent in person before the trip starts, you cancel.

What's interesting about drunk passengers is that they think they are always right and they know everything like the best way to get to their house .
It's like drinking liquor makes you instantly super smart and you're not afraid to show it off.
Yea, I had this scenario more than once last night. I had this gal last night that couldn't follow clear directions to plug in her iPhone. A 3 year old could have followed instructions better. I'm thinking if you can't plug this stuff in you shouldn't be playing dj.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You cancel on riders for calling you before the trip starts?
correct, this is by far the best advice I have taken from this forum. If there is any bad communication prior to starting trip, find a plausible way to " cancel no show". Accepting a belligerent abusive drunk is just plain stupid. Others with bad attitude and complaints before you even arrive at pin run a close second place to the abusive drunks. They get a cancel "no show" from me. If I can't pull that off I will just eat it and move on. Bad communication is defined as a situation where ruffled feathers can't be smoothed over and we all drive into the sunset smiling. I only do that to the ones that deserve it and of course they are very few of the pax that do call.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts

I wouldnt tell the passenger things like "you are rude" , that's just going to fuel the fire. Just cancel and move on. As for "I cant see you", I always explain that the App is not accurate, and not to trust what you see, that usually ends that concern. I always cancel if I learn in advance that the rider is irate, for they will always rate you low, or most will. Always take the high road, that's my policy, when dealing directly with the public. You have a right to cancel with irate riders, that's a personal safety issue.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input. I agree it can add fuel to the fire to call someone out. By this point I had pretty much already decided to cancel. That was the nail in the coffin.

People are rude to me all the time working typically Friday/Saturday evening into the night, and occasionally through bar close. I let it roll right off my back and take the high road.

I have only ever called someone out for being rude one other time. It involved a few racial epithets and off color jokes from pax and I wasn't having it. I told them they were being rude, pulled the car over and said their ride was over. They apologized and got in line. And though it was uncomfortable for all of us, the rest of the ride went alright.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
In their mind they are still in the bar. In the mind you are their hired employee and have to listen to them and have to drive them while they make jokes about you and treat you like sh$t. The more we resist, the better for the rest of the drivers.
Also, so you guys know it’s embarrassing to see some Uber driver with his car full of passengers and VERY loud music. Have some respect for yourself. Don’t let them do that. We are not an expensive limo service. For $5 I am not listening to some stupid loud music.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
In their mind they are still in the bar. In the mind you are their hired employee and have to listen to them and have to drive them while they make jokes about you and treat you like sh$t. The more we resist, the better for the rest of the drivers.
Also, so you guys know it's embarrassing to see some Uber driver with his car full of passengers and VERY loud music. Have some respect for yourself. Don't let them do that. We are not an expensive limo service. For $5 I am not listening to some stupid loud music.
Thanks for joining the movement of being in charge of your car and not bowing down to the cheapskates who are self entitled. I've noticed having audio video running has given me more respect on my rides. One of my brothers here hooked me up with his extra phone and it's my home made dash cam. Much more visible than a dash cam. I have it mounted on my front a/c vents, right in the face of the pass holes. Only one way video but catches all audio on ride. I face it towards traffic for liability coverage which I explain to inquiries from customers. It keeps my ratings from taking a hit and it deters bad behavior. I've had two situations that I had to reject fraudulent rides, explained they were being dash crammed and to get out of the car. Plus an unfortunate New Year's Eve puker. I have a lot more power since I mounted my extra phone.
Thanks again my brother for the phone!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for joining the movement of being in charge of your car and not bowing down to the cheapskates who are self entitled. I've noticed having audio video running has given me more respect on my rides. One of my brothers here hooked me up with his extra phone and it's my home made dash cam. Much more visible than a dash cam. I have it mounted on my front a/c vents, right in the face of the pass holes. Only one way video but catches all audio on ride. I face it towards traffic for liability coverage which I explain to inquiries from customers. It keeps my ratings from taking a hit and it deters bad behavior. I've had two situations that I had to reject fraudulent rides, explained they were being dash crammed and to get out of the car. Plus an unfortunate New Year's Eve puker. I have a lot more power since I mounted my extra phone.
Thanks again my brother for the phone!
Nice one!!..I try to keep it simple pax holes get 2 minutes...

All there is to this is.... you requested a ride from a person to drive you... pax should be waiting and ready to go in 2 minutes at the most....it's just respect and common sense, if you can't have that, either you are drunk (stupid drunk) or you don't respect other people's time!!!..so you are not getting in my car!!

Keep it simple!?..

This is some good advice...hand made dash cam!!

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Nice one!!..I try to keep it simple pax holes get 2 minutes...

All there is to this is.... you requested a ride from a person to drive you... pax should be waiting and ready to go in 2 minutes at the most....it's just respect and common sense, if you can't have that, either you are drunk (stupid drunk) or you don't respect other people's time!!!..so you are not getting in my car!!

Keep it simple!?..

This is some good advice...hand made dash cam!!
It's the only way to drive now,
Especially with the high deductible policies you drive under and of course the ahols.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Also, so you guys know it's embarrassing to see some Uber driver with his car full of passengers and VERY loud music. Have some respect for yourself. Don't let them do that. We are not an expensive limo service. For $5 I am not listening to some stupid loud music.
I get what your saying about loud music but some of us enjoy those rides. I'm always down to listen to someone else's music and get hyped with a group going out. Makes for a fun ride. I understand how that can be annoying to most drivers and I'm in the minority.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I get what your saying about loud music but some of us enjoy those rides. I'm always down to listen to someone else's music and get hyped with a group going out. Makes for a fun ride. I understand how that can be annoying to most drivers and I'm in the minority.
Just be careful with those ambulances and cops out there!!

Not judging though!

Peace!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wlDi/directv-head-bang

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I guess I’m in the majority here. I’ve not had a ride which I can say I wish I had a camera due to issues. Now I do wish I had a camera to record some of the funny things that have happened.

Maybe it’s because I don’t drive X or regular Lyft all that much. Not really sure

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I'm glad I have my dual dash cam...only had two people complain about it out of est. 40,000 people. Every street corner, every gas station, every bank, every police officer, every person has the ability to video; to think you're not being recorded these days is being naive. Those cameras are there for my protection...get your own!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I'm glad I have my dual dash cam...only had two people complain about it out of est. 40,000 people. Every street corner, every gas station, every bank, every police officer, every person has the ability to video; to think you're not being recorded these days is being naive. Those cameras are there for my protection...get your own!
Have you had any rides where the cameras were needed?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I have not had any problems where a camera was needed. I have only asked one drunk man who wanted to eat tacos in my car to leave and he did with a slamming of the door. The majority of my driving is during daylight hours which may attribute to near zero altercations. I have captured 4 accidents in front of me on video. Also, I don't anticipate a problem but the camera is there for my protection. My background in Air Traffic Control is knowing everything is being recorded at all times, so my actions and words should work out in my favor when a passenger is recording on their Iphone.

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Has anyone here with a dash cam ever had a pax tell them "please turn that off, I don't want to be on camera"? If so, how did you handle it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts