Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the real origins of the oft-repeated $1/mile minimum acceptance criteria?

Like who started it (like an old timer taxi driver)?

What year did it start getting air play?

Does it predate Uber in the earliest US cities?

My goal is >$1/mile average gross revenue for all miles (empty and loaded).
$1/mile include return, all cash paid upfront.
$1/mile, unless it's drive thru only then I need more.
I think $1/mile is more realistic. I would be very busy if I were still doing $1/mile like when I just started.
In order to extract $1 per mile out of your car with the existing rates,
Not that long ago I posted about vividly remembering that when I first began looking into deliveries, the standard was $1/mile, and using this standard all the time.
$1/mile is my rock bottom absolute minimum,
1 mile for $1 minimum, including pickup miles. Anything less than 1=1, better to go get a job.

Registered
The math is easy for drivers and pax.

Back in the day, before meters, taxi drivers had to do the fare calculations in their head. This is likely the main reason. Cheap taxis, no meters, they just used odometer miles and ran off that.

Also back then costs usually ran about 50 cents a mile, with the other 50 cents going to the driver.

Now of course it's more like 75/25 or 60/40.

A $1 a odometer mile daily or better is a good baseline for Uber drivers to shoot for, reduces deadheading and driving around aimlessly etc. Gives them a daily goal not to do more miles than what one earned on the meter if they want to make money at this.

I did .95 cents a odometer mile last year. Bills are paid, money for a replacement vehicle in the bank, rent paid etc.

There are still taxi companies using the $1 per mile formula and they are buying themselves houses. So it must work. 馃檪

Premium Member
A dollar per mile may be tolerable for rideshare but it SUCKS big time for delivery work.

Unlike rideshare, delivery drivers have to park twice and exit their vehicles twice. They have deal with restaurant waits and apartment buildings and elevators, etc, etc.

Thus it usually takes much longer to complete deliveries than rideshare trips of the same distance.

Premium Member
When this upfront price started just about a year ago here in, I just looked back and figured out a normal mile would take around 3 to 5 minutes to complete averaged. At that time we were getting paid $0.65 a mile nine cents a minute.

So that's where $1 a mile came out for me as a marker. Now I know it's different prices for every market but this just worked out great for here.

My bills were paid everything was okay and I had plenty money left over for cocaine and hookers.

Now we get this....
Black Font Sky Screenshot Electronic device

$.28 a mile round trip.

Premium Member
What are the real origins of the oft-repeated $1/mile minimum acceptance criteria?

Like who started it (like an old timer taxi driver)?

What year did it start getting air play?

Does it predate Uber in the earliest US cities?
The one dollar per mile ratio predates ridesharing and gig app food deliveries.

The hallowed and revered ratio was written in stone far before pizza and Chinese restaurants began food deliveries in the before times.

It was recorded on the missing tablet.

The Eleventh Commandment.

Moses decided the tip was too low and blamed the missing tablet on the Merchant of Salvation.

As the New Testament superceded the Old, the One Dollar per Mile ratio has been replaced by the New Two Dollars per Mile revelation, from driveway until return.

Beware the heretics on YouTube who preach the dollar per mile ratio.

They are evil and unprofitable. ((Unprobitability being the eighth deadly sin.)

Premium Member
A dollar per mile may be tolerable for rideshare but it SUCKS big time for delivery work.

Unlike rideshare, delivery drivers have to park twice and exit their vehicles twice. They have deal with restaurant waits and apartment buildings and elevators, etc, etc.

Thus it usually takes much longer to complete deliveries than rideshare trips of the same distance.
Seems to me that every mile incurred generates costs.

Excessive amount of time expended per offer reduces gross revenues. This would apply if you are calculating your profitability by dollars per hour.

Gross revenue minus expenses equals profit.

Time is not a factor in the equation.

Unless you were blessed by the voters of CA.

Registered
I would swear it was you.

Or maybe @ObeyTheNumbers.

He swears by the dollar per mile ratio.
I am Moses, of the minimum $1 per mile ratio. 馃槆

I will bring my brethren Uber drivers out of the desert of poverty and show them the path to profitablity!

We will show our Egyptian slave masters that we will not take their abusive compensation any longer!

Premium Member
I am Moses, of the minimum $1 per mile ratio. 馃槆

I will bring my brethren Uber drivers out of the desert of poverty and show them the path to profitablity!

We will show our Egyptian slave masters that we will not take their abusive compensation any longer!
False prophet.

May you burn in Hell for your heresy.

Unprobitability is the eighth deadly sin.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts