Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met the Teamster's Union rep for ABDA last week but left feeling that that was more hope in self-organizing. What's been tried here and why hasn't it worked? It should be obvious to everyone that market power resides in the collective of the drivers, who own the means of production...ie our cars. TNC platforms are a dime a dozen - why don't we just pick one and dictate our rate, or at the very least make it clear to pax we need tipping??

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Won’t work... you will have folks that will drive losing money.... they will be blind to this and keep driving.

There is a no win situation ,every man/woman for himself and how you do it dictates if you make $$ or not.

Kiss that idea good bye.

I have my ride criteria set and don’t really break it. I am profitable for when I’m out there.... let the other guys eat pool and 6+ minute away trips...

$$$

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so let me ask you what it would take ( seriously) for you to consider working with other drivers?

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Ok, so let me ask you what it would take ( seriously) for you to consider working with other drivers?
Turnover is about 95% per year. You going to organize the remaining 5%?

Also, Teamsters are mandated to stand-down until the court rules on the legality of the city of Seattle plan to have the Teamsters represent us.

Are you not aware of the whole issue/history with the city trying to organize the drivers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi DexNex - thanks for your response. Would you be in that 5%?

I'm dimly aware of the unionization efforts, sure - though I'm always totally happy to be schooled. However I think that there is a big difference in the Teamsters trying to 'organize' drivers, and drivers actually organizing.

The 95% is interesting. Are there actual real statistics about that? Following the 80/20 rule, I assume that there is a relatively small pool of drivers that constitute a core, so it seems to me that of those you wouldn't need 100% to coordinate an effective action - just enough to rest their collective thumb on the scale.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
What we need is a collective voice, not necessarily unionised action. But a mouthpiece that voices our concerns over and above that of the TNCs and that of the city. Like recently, with the city thinking of enforcing a specific rate. That we weren't at that meeting, independent of the puppets Uber rolls out, letting our concerns be heard is unfair.

It is up to us to self organize, so that we can be heard.

I don't think there's a law against a lobbyist-like entity for us to self fund.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly

I don't think there's a law against a lobbyist-like entity for us to self fund.
The union rep i met didn't think so either - most anti-trust/price-fixing regulation is aimed at large companies - not multitudes of independent contractors - and anyway the legislative environment in Seattle would be broadly supportive of such a collective action (they would probably throw a parade)

·
Banned
6,758 Posts
Exactly

The union rep i met didn't think so either - most anti-trust/price-fixing regulation is aimed at large companies - not multitudes of independent contractors - and anyway the legislative environment in Seattle would be broadly supportive of such a collective action (they would probably throw a parade)
go ahead and try to Organize, you will be run over by a Yellow Cab and side swipe by a Uber Volvo car

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Spikey - The answers to many of your questions are just a google search away. Yes, there are stats available on the tenure of Uber drivers. Most don't make it beyond three months, let alone a year. There is much information on this forum and on google regarding unionization of TNC drivers in Seattle. You might want to search through these. I will tell you that if the pro-unionization battle is successful in court those eligible to vote will be a very small sliver of those driving today as you must have been driving before October 2016 and given a certain number of rides. A good number of us on the forum have lasted longer than a year driving, some much longer, including myself, Dex, skinny, m_m, K-Pax, heynow, Lissetti, and many others.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Hi DexNex - thanks for your response. Would you be in that 5%?

I'm dimly aware of the unionization efforts, sure - though I'm always totally happy to be schooled. However I think that there is a big difference in the Teamsters trying to 'organize' drivers, and drivers actually organizing.

The 95% is interesting. Are there actual real statistics about that? Following the 80/20 rule, I assume that there is a relatively small pool of drivers that constitute a core, so it seems to me that of those you wouldn't need 100% to coordinate an effective action - just enough to rest their collective thumb on the scale.
So you don't really know what is going on, but you know you have an opinion. Great.

I am not here to school you, you need to do some research. They are very big legal questions that Seattle drivers are at the center of for the entire gig-economy.

How long have you been driving for Uber?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you don't really know what is going on, but you know you have an opinion. Great.
Slightly unkind, although probably fair at this point - and here I thought you weren't going to school me!!? :) :)

OK, then to sum up so far, I'm hearing that beyond the unionization efforts, not much has been done on the self-organizing front. I'm also hearing that there is a good dose of healthy cynicism out there. Sounds like a plan. When do we start?

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Slightly unkind, although probably fair at this point - and here I thought you weren't going to school me!!? :) :)

OK, then to sum up so far, I'm hearing that beyond the unionization efforts, not much has been done on the self-organizing front. I'm also hearing that there is a good dose of healthy cynicism out there. Sounds like a plan. When do we start?
How long have you been driving rideshare in Seattle?

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
The cynicism you are getting is the result of newby drivers coming on this board every couple of months, posting your exact questions, and then disappearing into the ether as one of the 95% that can't hack it.
I'm not normally this cynical but I just had my first caffeinated beverage in 7 months and it has me feeling extra spicy.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
I met the Teamster's Union rep for ABDA last week but left feeling that that was more hope in self-organizing. What's been tried here and why hasn't it worked? It should be obvious to everyone that market power resides in the collective of the drivers, who own the means of production...ie our cars. TNC platforms are a dime a dozen - why don't we just pick one and dictate our rate, or at the very least make it clear to pax we need tipping??
Abba has their own teamsters division?

The cynicism you are getting is the result of newby drivers coming on this board every couple of months, posting your exact questions, and then disappearing into the ether as one of the 95% that can't hack it.
I'm not normally this cynical but I just had my first caffeinated beverage in 7 months and it has me feeling extra spicy.
What's the best time and place to drive to make the big bucks?

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
I don’t want to pay the Teamsters a set monthly fee to drive on these platforms because of how inconsistently I go driving for pay. How would you address this barrier about organizing “all” the longstanding drivers, Spikey?

·
Banned
6,758 Posts
Organizing rideshare drivers would be worse than herding cats. I wouldn't wish that task on my worst enemy. Actually, maybe I would, I can think of a few people that need to be punished.
Lambo would probably do a decent job! He's got a business plan for Uber Ant Local 420

they gotta cut off date to vote 4 stuff... before october 25 2016 U golden... after that date you suck!!!!

my vote is for sale! 5 double bacon cheese burger and a camping trip with direwolf

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Lambo would probably do a decent job! He's got a business plan for Uber Ant Local 420

they gotta cut off date to vote 4 stuff... before october 25 2016 U golden... after that date you suck!!!!

my vote is for sale! 5 double bacon cheese burger and a camping trip with direwolf
20180508_183105.jpg

Why would you want to sell a night with me in my spacious tent? :D Double vestibule, bathtub floor, excellent venting=super sexy tent...

·
Banned
6,758 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts