Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped a pax off at ORD this afternoon. Wasn't lucky enough to get a ping so I went to the pit to see what was happening. Waited about 10-15 minutes to see how fast the counter was going down. Funniest thing though, several times the counter went up instead of down, about 3 numbers.
Can anyone explain why?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be my sign of I'm getting played and leave. How big was the count at?
Count was 75, went up to 78, then a minute later back to 75, then up to 76. At that point, I left. I really wasn't planning to stay long. Just use the johns and see if the queue was moving quick enough to make it worthwhile to stay.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Count was 75, went up to 78, then a minute later back to 75, then up to 76. At that point, I left. I really wasn't planning to stay long. Just use the johns and see if the queue was moving quick enough to make it worthwhile to stay.
Good call. I think it might have happened to me before but not when in the stage lot, I just dropped off and was put in the queue leaving the departure terminal and getting back on the highway that I've seen it grow instead of dropping but didn't think much about it

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Probably drivers dropping at the terminal but getting loaded right away. Both Lyft and Uber are doing this.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Dropped a pax off at ORD this afternoon. Wasn't lucky enough to get a ping
After dropping off pax and on my out, I've been pinged twice. I thought it was just a glitch after seeing 200 + waiting in the queue. Is it not a glitch and something I should be taking advantage of?

Both times have been in the last week. Sorry for being a total newb, but could somebody please explain this in more detail.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
After dropping off pax and on my out, I've been pinged twice. I thought it was just a glitch after seeing 200 + waiting in the queue. Is it not a glitch and something I should be taking advantage of?

Both times have been in the last week. Sorry for being a total newb, but could somebody please explain this in more detail.
It is not a glitch. It's being tested by both Uber and Lyft so that riders don't have to wait as long at the curb. Especially at MDW during rush hour that can be a significant wait. Today I dropped at MDW, but didn't rush out. By the time I hit the lower level garage, I got a ping.

·
Registered
520 Posts

You missed out on money. It's a thing and it happens to the lucky ones. I hope you didn't have the winning numbers on the Powerball and didn't believe it

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Thanks for the info... so is there a link describing how this works? I'm just assuming the ping is for rides going back where you came from, no?
No, it's just like any other ping. Destination is a crapshoot until you onboard the rider. I went from Oak Brook to MDW to Lake and Green in Chicago, today. Then I was in the middle of a 150% boost, but it took almost 10 minutes to get a ping to Diversey and Central, then another 6 to get a ping from there to Rosemont Theater, then I went home. From 4:10 to 6:30, I made $80.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
OK... so why the f*** do the good, bad, and ugly lucky get pinged for a ride before those 200+ that have been waiting? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
All about keeping customers happy. I absolutely never pickup at either airport unless I get a ping almost right away. I'd rather hit the streets and keep moving than sit in the lot hoping I get something in an hour.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Thanks for the info... so is there a link describing how this works? I'm just assuming the ping is for rides going back where you came from, no?
That's a bad assumption.

I dropped-off a DT to ORD pax at Term 1, and before driving-off got a ping from area 2-3. That ride was to Tinley Park!

Another time it happened it, I got back to DT.

So you never know!

I suppose a way to protect one-self, while still taking advantage of the possibilities, might be to burn a DF as you approach ORD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's a bad assumption.

I dropped-off a DT to ORD pax at Term 1, and before driving-off got a ping from area 2-3. That ride was to Tinley Park!

Another time it happened it, I got back to DT.

So you never know!

I suppose a way to protect one-self, while still taking advantage of the possibilities, might be to burn a DF as you approach ORD.
Last time I was near ORD, it wouldn't let me use DF until I was out of the "Queue Area." Wish it were that easy, though. Haha

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
OK... so why the f*** do the good, bad, and ugly lucky get pinged for a ride before those 200+ that have been waiting? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Lucky? Is it 'lucky' to get a ride to the airport out of a surge zone during rush hour, just to face either a 2 hour wait in a lot or a 60 minute slog in traffic to get back to the surge zone?

·
Registered
69 Posts
When Dropping at MDW or ORD, drive at a snails pace, give the uber-god time to recognize your location, by the time you finish giving your passenger their stupid stars, most likely you will be re-matched.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.