Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd posted this over on the reddit /r/uberdrivers subreddit, but figure I might get a more accurate answer over here..

Crossposted to /r/uberdrivers on reddit...

I've read here and elsewhere that UberPool rides are not desirable (many comments I've read elsewhere on this topic were FAR less complementary). I'd taken a few and was kinda ambivalent about them until today.. I got one today that blew my mind.. Recieve ping, notice its a pool, and shows I'm about 5 min away from the rider, with the pickup point in the 7000 block of NORTH Pecos (this is important) I drive to where the navigation tells me to and arrive, or arrive as close to the location as I can.. Navigation map shows the pin on the other side of what can only be described as a "closed road barracade", with NOTHING, as in no street/dirt road on the other side of the barracade. I call the rider by phone, and where ARE you? I'm as close to the address in the app as I can get.. Rider says "I'm at so-and-so doctors office"... Umm There is NO dr office anywhere near where I'm sitting.. We talk a bit more and I find rider is at the same 7000 street address BUT ON SOUTH Pecos.. This being somewhat close to 20 miles away at the other end of the street. I advise the rider of this, and suggest we cancel and she pull up another driver, hopefully closer.. I cancel using the "don't charge rider", but later, when checking my days rides, I find that rider has been charged the cancellation fee. I've contacted Uber to get that fixed..

Now to my actual question.. Is there ANY way to get Uber to opt me out of Pool rides?? I've been reading over at the uberpeople forum that a lot of drivers in Atlanta have managed to get opted out of pool, by spamming the hell out of support with a nicely worded letter demanding to be opted out of Pool with a nice tidy list of the reasons. I've only been driving for Uber since July 1st, but I'd MUCH prefer to stay with UberX rides only... Anybody know or have done this??

Thanks
daveinlv

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
You should just accept the cancel fee. It was the riders fault for not properly inputting their pick up location. That happens ALL the time and you deserve to be compensated for the time and effort to pick them up.

That being said, Steve is correct. I personally took on the quest of opting out of Uber pool. I wrote many emails spelling out my reasons for the request. We played email ping pong until I insisted they escalate issue to a manager. I was successful (after much frustrating communication) in opting out 3 times. Only to be put back in 2-3 days later. White flag!
Accept that which you must to keep your accept rate good if you are pursuing quest or other promo. Jump on that cancel collect at 2 minutes. Realize not all pool riders are bad. I encounter many that are nice, some even tip.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Uber Pool makes me want quit driving for Uber.

A) bottom of the barrel customers who often make drivers wait excessive lengths of time before coming out.

B) good for Uber and terrible for drivers in that it often makes rides take twice as long without drivers making double the money. Uber gets their full cut on two rides but the drivers DO NOT!

Not to mention the awkwardness of having two drunk gangbangers in the back seat while grandma is on her way to the doctor's office.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts

A) bottom of the barrel customers who often make drivers wait excessive lengths of time before coming out.

B) good for Uber and terrible for drivers in that it often makes rides take twice as long without drivers making double the money. Uber gets their full cut on two rides but the drivers DO NOT!

Not to mention the awkwardness of having two drunk gangbangers in the back seat while grandma is on her way to the doctor's office.
^^^A 4% driver
You can quit anytime....nobody is making you drive
If you wait more then 2 minutes for a pool pax...that is on you.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a strictly a VERY part-time driver (mostly a max of 2 days/wk and only 3 or 4 hours on those days) and don't give a crap about any of these "promotions" that I keep hearing about. If getting Pool turned off is going to be a pain and then have it *magically* turn back on whenever, I guess I'll just use the tried & true "ignore" and let them time out.. I don't expect to be driving for either Lyft or Uber beyond the end of September due to the ****ing that Carson City gave us part-time drivers. I don't care to flush $225/year down the toilet for the little $$ I make driving for Lyft/Uber..

Getting out of Pool is temporary. You may be removed for a day or 2, but system resets and BAM!! Pool rides are all the rage again.
Thanks! was afraid of that.. I guess I'll just use the ole "let it timeout" when a pool ping comes along...

Accept that which you must to keep your accept rate good if you are pursuing quest or other promo.
Not interested in any promos... I'm strictly a part-time driver..

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts

I get about 3uber pool pings or more everyday I don't accepted them .I would go off the line and wait 2mins for pool people to get another driver then I go back online.Why are you giving pool rides? Do you need money that bad? What is your currently uber pool rating? The more you give pool rides the closer you are getting to your account to be deactivated by uber. Did you receive texting from uber talking about "Take care of your pool rating" yet ? If you are giving pool rides to locals in area where locals live you are on your way to get your account to be deactivated. Locals look for something to complain about while they put their feet on the seat and play loud music on their cell phones. No tip$. No 5star. NO thank you. They think you are a fool. I have read some comments from drivers who claimed they love giving pool rides to locals.....and guess what I don't see those drivers commenting here anymore.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My best pool experience was having three ladies arriving at the airport and being dropped off on the strip at Ceasars, Paris and the Pallazo. $18 trip, but no tip. Most people choose pool because it is cheaper, and they are hoping no other person is in the car. I too try to ignore many of the pool request, just not worth my time or effort.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
My best pool experience was having three ladies arriving at the airport and being dropped off on the strip at Ceasars, Paris and the Pallazo. $18 trip, but no tip. Most people choose pool because it is cheaper, and they are hoping no other person is in the car. I too try to ignore many of the pool request, just not worth my time or effort.
I kind of feel sorry for new drivers who don't really know how to say no to pool rides. Poo riders at strip or airport are not that bad the evil ones are the locals ones.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I had to take a bunch of Pools this weekend for a Promo Quest. I have to say, it was not bad at all.

No issues with finding Pax, they were mostly there waiting or frantically looking for me afraid I was going to cancel. A nice change from the casual, wait until 4 minutes on the clock, UberX Pax. I did have a few No shows, $3.75 for 2 minutes of my time instead of 5 minutes wasted, mostly due to misplaced pin GPS.

On the Fare, More than half the time, Uber lost money. Their system really sucks at Pool surging. They match up Pax after who aren't paying surge and all the additional rides do is make me long haul the original surged fare, fine by me!! The other half it was boost so it was still more than normal UberX.

Pretty good weekend for Pool. :cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Last weekend I received 8 pool requests in a row within 5 minutes. I was near Linq, and all were "8-10 minutes away" (would've been 20+ in that traffic... at Paris, Caesars, etc.). Uber did not like my acceptance rate dropping so fast, so I got my first email. :D

Last night I spent 40 minutes taking two couples from downtown to Bellagio then Mandalay. Second rider was added at the moment I was stopping new requests. No tips, $18 for me. On a 1.5x surge...

Other than that, I'm with Michael. Had no issues taking a few pool rides to hit that promo a little faster.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.