Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
considering this is a big issue at the shore and I seriously have to tell people several times a day that they can't bring it in the car should I report it to uber or just cancel and drive on or just take a ratings hit if they ding me? Although I don't know if reporting it to uber would chance any negative ratings if I get one.

Being that we are mostly griping on here lets throw in a positive ... Some guy gave me a $30 tip for waiting 15 minutes for his babysitter to get there ... He said he'd tip if I waited but I certainly didn't expect that much. There actually are some good pax out there.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Say you are not allowed to have open containers in your vehicle. Be firm and have a good friendly attitude.

Then depending on your situation and the PAX...but you'd be happy to wait while they finish their drink. Most PAX understand and appreciate the offer to wait. Some will just pour it out, others quickly finish it. If A-hole(s), taking too much time, or you just feeling that a problem or four are about to get in your vehicle, cancel and leave.

I might say, hey, what are you drinking today/tonight? Hey, don't waste your drink, I'll wait until you finish it.

I'm also an idiot and don't like littering, so I might even get out (if legal parking spot) and offer to have them throw empty in plastic trash bag in trunk instead of having them toss the plastic cups on the street.

Wouldn't report to Uber unless you want to head off a real problem and want a written record of it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're mostly just kids having a good time and if they're cool about it I don't want to get anyone in trouble but there was one jerk (based on attitude in general...plus a shoobie making griping about driving through margationers on our way up to AC) who pretended to throw out his drink but snuck it to his wife who gave it back to him when we got into AC. Seriously if not for his wife and her friends in the car I would have dropped him on the side of the road in AC. Then last night I had 2 girls one carrying a wawa coffee cup with a lid which I didn't think anything about until they started giggling about the "coffee". All in all though I love the kids at the shore. They are usually fun, they love the jeep, and where else can a drive a guy wearing a toga?

·
Registered
846 Posts
You have to be attentive to this issue. Do you want to get a DUI on your driving record? If you get pulled over, the "open container" could get your license suspended for 30 days, with some costly tickets and possibly community service.
Get pulled over or just get stopped at a random check point...you're screwed, doesn't matter if they snuck it in. If I were you I would contact uber and ask if they would provide you with a lawyer in that situation. Also will they pay you for the time your license is suspended until uou get the charges dropped or settled?

The "open container" law in NJ only exempts and actually allows consumption in bus, limousine or taxi...but as UberX in NJ it is considered a personal vehicle.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Open container, although not a DUI, it does go on your license and insurance rates go up for anything involving alcohol or drugs. It also falls under the uber policy of not allowing someone with an alcohol or drug violation drive for them.

Oh, and the funny thin is, if uber became legal inNJ in the future...and you got caught by this, you would fail the state background check and not be approved for the chauffeur or taxi license, which ever they choose to make you get.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
The "open container" law in NJ only exempts and actually allows consumption in bus, limousine or taxi...but as UberX in NJ it is considered a personal vehicle.
NJ currently views Uber as a limo so you shouldn't have to worry about the open container laws. You may have to worry about some other violations, but Uber will reimburse you for these:

1- 39:5G-1(A)(1) - Operate Limousine W/o Mun License Or Proper Insurance
2- 39:5G-1A(2) - Operating A Limo Without Special Registration
3- 39:5G-2(A) - Fail To Obtain Chauffeur Driver Endorsement-driver/owner
4- State of NJ - Operating as driver with no Limousine license.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts