Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting sick of all these drunk college kids bringing open containers of alcohol. I'm not going to get a huge ticket or risk my license/jail for these clowns. Cups and aluminum cans I won't ever let in. Closed aluminum cans and wine/liquor bottles are going in the trunk in a basket with a leak proof bag to prevent spills. I'll just say too many cops and they are itching for an excuse to cause trouble, I'm looking out for you kids.

How do you all deal with this issue? And how to prevent it from hurting ratings?

·
Registered
746 Posts
How do you all deal with this issue? And how to prevent it from hurting ratings?
I've only had one person, ever, attempt to get in with an open container. I told him "Hey man, I hate to do this but I can't drive you if you have an open container with alcohol." He dumped it, got in, no problems. Even if it's phony, sympathizing with the bad rule can make enforcing them a lot easier.

If I wanted to avoid the possibility going forward, I'd not work the university district or restrict my hours so I'm not there when the parties & keggers let out. Not much else you can do besides that, unless you just cancel when you see a pax with a drink in his hand and drive off.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've only had one person, ever, attempt to get in with an open container. I told him "Hey man, I hate to do this but I can't drive you if you have an open container with alcohol." He dumped it, got in, no problems. Even if it's phony, sympathizing with the bad rule can make enforcing them a lot easier.

If I wanted to avoid the possibility going forward, I'd not work the university district or restrict my hours so I'm not there when the parties & keggers let out. Not much else you can do besides that, unless you just cancel when you see a pax with a drink in his hand and drive off.
My town wouldn't exist without the college and most def would not have uber without the college. So the hours of highest demand i.e. Surges is not. So lots and lots of open coantianers. I'm trying to figure out a way that will keep me driving with my sanity and high ratings and no false accusations.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
If you drive rideshare while impaired (alcohol or drugs) and are caught then you are an idiot, a DUI or DWI, endangering your riders, and should expect huge legal fees at best, jail time at worst, and deactivation by Uber, Lyft, etc.

The responsibility of a sober driver when a passenger has an open alcoholic container vary by jurisdiction. You are responsible for knowing the laws in ALL jurisdiction you drive and any recent changes. Periodically check http://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/can-a-passenger-drink-alcohol.htm
http://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/can-a-passenger-drink-alcohol.htm
Drugs in the car are generally, but not always, more serious than alcohol. Laws vary by both jurisdiction and type of drug. Again, you are responsible for knowing the laws in ALL jurisdiction you drive and any recent changes. If you are not sure then you can politely ask the rider(s) to stop and/or end the trip. https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/public-consumption-laws-a-state-by-state-guide

It's your car and you set the rules, regardless of the law. Always immediately report the incident to Uber to protect yourself.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My town wouldn't exist without the college and most def would not have uber without the college. So the hours of highest demand i.e. Surges is not. So lots and lots of open coantianers. I'm trying to figure out a way that will keep me driving with my sanity and high ratings and no false accusations.
Be nice and tell the brats no, or find a new job. Not sure anything else is gonna fix your problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts