Uber Drivers Forum banner

Uber has notified, monitored or restricted against excessive hours worked

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Uber driver fell asleep and crashed - they need to stop working stupid hours
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...ed-to-stop-working-stupid-hours-10293791.html

Jo Bertram, regional general manager for Uber, said: "Uber is fulfilling millions of trips a month in London alone, and fortunately accidents are incredibly rare. Like some other private hire operators and taxis, all Uber drivers are self-employed and as such have the flexibility to work what hours they choose. However, driver hours are strictly monitored and there is a robust process in place to ensure drivers do not drive tired. We have been in regular contact with the rider to offer our full support."

Uber added that it monitored working patterns to ensure a driver does not work for too long consecutively, or for excessive hours in a given week, and also used customer feedback "for any signals that might flag any issues with a driver's driving."

In Tucson, Uber was incentivizing Drivers to work up to 100Hrs/Wk:
Insane hours promotion? Who does this?
Font Material property Screenshot Number Circle

Did Uber_UK GM Jo Bertram give a truthful statement or was it an outright lie?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yet another fed regulation we will see down the road. DoT limits over road drivers to AND limo drivers to 12hr drive times. But you really can't monitor (Uber can but they will NEVER tell) how much of that online time is drive time. Promoting excessive driving is typical of Uber lacking regard for the driver. We are not human to them... only moneymaking machines for them.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Sad news but this is the position Uber has put their so called partners in, to make a living wage. SMMFH

She's very lucky to still be alive.

And to quote Jo Bertram, "Uber added that it monitored working patterns to ensure a driver does not work for too long consecutively". I call Bullshit. The ONLY thing Uber is monitoring is $$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Is Tucson part of the greater London area? Did Joe Bertram authorize the promotion you quote?
I'd already asked uberpeople.net to move the Poll to London, the moment after I posted it.

Now this is my informed opinion: No Where in Any Uber market, does Uber monitor against excessive hours worked. I linked the Tuscon thread
to cite as a vivid example that Uber does not even considers 100Hrs/Wk as excessive driving.
Do you know any of the specifics of the
"process [that's] in place to ensure drivers do not drive tired" before posting this?
Why don't you cite or post any notification etc. from Uber of such a process? I know you can't post anything, because there isn't such a process! But Lyft, on the other hand, actually logs off a Driver for 6 Hours after they've been logged on for 14 Hours.
The poll & the thread itself will either prove me right or wrong.
Is @chi1cabby increasingly posting leading questions and commentary instead of chronicling pertinent developments and news relating to Uber?
I wear many hats. I post what suits the moment. Why do you have a problem with someone putting Uber & it's bottomless duplicity under a spotlight?
Is LAndreas increasingly shilling for Uber now?

·
Premium Member
9,816 Posts
Now this is my informed opinion: Uber corporate delegates much decision making power down to the level of individual market management. If Mr. Bertram from the London market management speaks of a process they have in place for their local market, did you educate yourself about that process before creating this thread?

Why don't I cite or post any notification etc. from Uber of such a process, you ask? Because I try to not post about stuff of which I know nothing.

I see nothing that ties the Tucson market promotion to the events in London. Should you want to point out Uber's culpability in tired Uber drivers' misdeeds, I encourage you to post the news reports of Tucson Uber drivers crashing their cars. Looking forward to reading that shortly, which would raise this thread to the standards of chi1cabby of yore.
Seriously? For any responsible company in the transportation business, hours worked is an important safety issue. Even Lyft has a built into the system max number of hours you can work consecutively before they won't let you log in. Uber has nothing like that. So one of two things is going on, they leave it to regional managers to deal with it with a wink or they don't deal with it and the London guy is full of it. But this is simply another example of their duplicitous behavior, not dealing with a problem systemically that has been an issue for 100's of years, probably because it might cut into their profit or fray the boundary between contractor and employee even further. Whatever the case, the Tucson promotion is an example of unconscionable greed, whether local or national, Uber is responsible and should not permit or encourage.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If Mr. Bertram from the London market management speaks of a process they have in place for their local market, did you educate yourself about that process before creating this thread?
Firstly, LAndreas, it's Ms. Bertram. Secondly, there is nothing to educate myself on, as there is No Process in Any Uber Market that monitors or limits Drivers time logged in.
I see nothing that ties the Tucson market promotion to the events in London.
Really?
Tucson thread Insane hours promotion? Who does this? has No commonality with Uber driver fell asleep and crashed - they need to stop working stupid hours
Looking forward to reading that shortly, which would raise this thread to the standards of @chi1cabby of yore.
Fret not LAndreas, this thread will shortly rise to standards you hold me up to. And while you await a while, peruse a very similar thread that laid bare the outright lies uttered by Uber personnel:
ADA Poll | Blind Woman Says Uber Driver Stranded Her, Service Dog

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Number

And lastly, a pointed & previously posed question that remains unanswered by LAndreas:
Do you wear Uber colored glasses that makes everything Uber look rosy?
It would "aid your credibility" if you'd take off those Uber colored glasses once in a while.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Uber has nothing like that." You know that how?
By virtue of knowing Uber and it's policies better than most.
Ya because a driver doing the right thing is not their responsibility? We need companies and governments to tell us what's right and wrong. Kind of a pathetic argument.
Yep!
We need companies that incentivize Drivers to work 100Hrs/Wk:
And how's the search for Canadian Insurance Companies that cover UberX Driving going? Did you get a response back from Ian Black yet on the "Thorny" insurance issues confronting Uber_Canada's Drivers?
https://uberpeople.net/threads/what...surance-doesnt-exist.18433/page-3#post-291312

·
Premium Member
8,993 Posts
By virtue of knowing Uber and it's policies better than most.

Yep!
We need companies that incentivize Drivers to work 100Hrs/Wk:
And how's the search for Canadian Insurance Companies that cover UberX Driving going? Did you get a response back from Ian Black yet on the "Thorny" insurance issues confronting Uber_Canada's Drivers?
https://uberpeople.net/threads/whats-an-uberx-canada-driver-to-do-how-to-get-uber-canada-to-admit-their-insurance-doesnt-exist.18433/page-3#post-291312
Seriously? You actually believe that people should just do whatever a company tells them to do. Drivers who fall asleep in any driving profession is a lack of intelligence of a driver. That goes for any driver in the transportation industry. That's like saying lets all blame the beer and alcohol companies for drunk driving fatalities because their commercials make everyone look like they are having fin with no consequences.

chi1cabby I pegged you for someone who doesn't just post some trash on here every time the word Uber comes up. But I guess you are running out of things to talk about lately.

As far as a response to the insurance situation, no response. But not sure why that had anything to do with this topic. Soon we will find out how good it covers people with the accident that happened last night with the Uber Driver and the Taxi Driver. I would be very curious to see where the fault lied and what passengers were taken care of better. Uber's or the Taxi drivers.

Something tells me this will be landmark for the subject.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Seriously? You actually believe that people should just do whatever a company tells them to do.
Seriously? You actually believe that a company enticing Drivers to the tune of $7,200 to work ~100Hrs/Wk for a month is Not just as culpable as Drivers?
That goes for any driver in the transportation industry. That's like saying lets all blame the beer and alcohol companies for drunk driving fatalities because their commercials make everyone look like they are having fin with no consequences.
That's a false analogy. I've yet to come across beer commercials that incentivize Drivers to get behind the wheel after consuming a 12 pack.

@chi1cabby I pegged you for someone who doesn't just post some trash on here every time the word Uber comes up. But I guess you are running out of things to talk about lately.
Perhaps you've pegged me completely wrong, and vice versa, given the fact that you consider me highlighting a blatant lie by Uber's Regional GM for UK & Western Europe as posting "some trash".

Let's wait for this thread to be moved to London sub forum to find out if I'm off base, or you, Actionjax & LAndreas are off base.

·
Premium Member
8,993 Posts
That's a false analogy. I've yet to come across beer commercials that incentivize Drivers to get behind the wheel after consuming a 12 pack.
Yet I don't see Uber telling drivers to drive till they fall asleep. Showing some mathematical chart is more some dumbass running the numbers who has never actually been a driver. It's like telling people the more lottery tickets you play the bigger your chances.

Fact is I would trust Uber has data in place to monitor drivers usage patterns. (If they actually do something is not known). In fact Uber will have more data on drivers using the system more than a Taxi company would. There is no log in or log out process when the dispatcher sends out a call. At least not here in Toronto. They only know the car that is on the grid. The driver could be in that car for 48 hours straight and no one will know.

On an Uber platform they will know who is logging in and out.

Sorry but this comes down to drivers doing the right thing. Uber has an opportunity to do the right thing here but not obligated to do it last I checked.

Again ALL drivers need to take the responsibility to being safe on the road. Regardless of Uber or not.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sorry but this comes down to drivers doing the right thing. Uber has an opportunity to do the right thing here but not obligated to do it last I checked.
Yeah. Uber just gave the Drivers the opportunity to drive sleep deprived by dangling $7,200 in front of em.
Verbose posts can attempt to spin, but don't change the underlying facts.

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
Yet I don't see Uber telling drivers to drive till they fall asleep. Showing some mathematical chart is more some dumbass running the numbers who has never actually been a driver. It's like telling people the more lottery tickets you play the bigger your chances.

Fact is I would trust Uber has data in place to monitor drivers usage patterns. (If they actually do something is not known). In fact Uber will have more data on drivers using the system more than a Taxi company would. There is no log in or log out process when the dispatcher sends out a call. At least not here in Toronto. They only know the car that is on the grid. The driver could be in that car for 48 hours straight and no one will know.

On an Uber platform they will know who is logging in and out.

Again ALL drivers need to take the responsibility to being safe on the road. Regardless of Uber or not.
They should have like a "rumble strip" kind of like feature in the app, just like they do on the roads. Or maybe some kind of device that will squirt jet streams of water at you if it detects any signs of drowsiness.

·
Registered
215 Posts
FYI:
We (at the other side of the pool) are dispatched with GPS (one monent please, I´ve to check my radiolicence, ok, I found it) since 1997 and were kicked out of the system after 12 h.

An Austrian official told: Uber´s technology is Stone Aged. I guess he´s right (but I agree Uber is more popular)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Uber is exploiting the casual nature of its business model here and this is something that needs to be addressed and will be as insurance companies become more involved. The extra attention will be warranted.

How does anyone, Uber included quantify an Uber shift? The exception might be those hours worked to satisfy a guarantee. Drivers can simply log on and off 24/7. What Uber driver is really working a shift?

In the taxi world, we are expected to have signed a lease agreement to work a given shift. Those lease agreements are to be kept at the base and in the taxi. Failure to have your lease on you would result in a fine. Log sheets are kept by drivers concerning pick up and drop times. Odometer, metered miles etc. They are required for several reasons and they all make sense.

I haven't gone through the thread closely, I will do that later. The casual nature of the rideshare model, is a function of corporate decisions. In the state of Pa, Uber has refused to hand over driver trip records in the city of Pittsburgh......

There is a very simple solution just off the top of my head: Once a driver logs on for the day to accept their first call, they could only be allowed to receive pings for the next consecutive 12 hours (using Pa as an example). Uber could easily facilitate that and should be expected to do exactly that,

This isn't rocket surgery.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here in CA, the CPUC prescribes mandatory rest periods. I, as independent contractor in the public transportation space, being regulated by the CPUC must abide by those, and I do.
Can you please link to the California PUC "proscribed mandatory rest periods" that you "as an IC abide by"?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
Surge pricing works because people desperate for a ride willingly pay the ridiculously high price surge produces. Likewise non-surge pricing works because drivers desperate for money willingly drive for the ridiculously low price Uber sets.

If Uber drivers are desperate enough to drive for ridiculously low prices, then they are desperate enough to do other stupid things too... like drive with insufficient rest.

Uber can pass the blame all they want to the driver doing the wrong thing, but the whole business model of Uber is one of exploiting desperation, so to think Uber holds no responsibility for the situation they are creating with this business model is absolutely insane, and anyone trying to defend Uber here needs to seriously stop and take a moment (or a year) and reflect on the intelligence of their argument (or lack there of).

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Surge pricing works because people desperate for a ride willingly pay the ridiculously high price surge produces. Likewise non-surge pricing works because drivers desperate for money willingly drive for the ridiculously low price Uber sets.

If Uber drivers are desperate enough to drive for ridiculously low prices, then they are desperate enough to do other stupid things too... like drive with insufficient rest.

Uber can pass the blame all they want to the driver doing the wrong thing, but the whole business model of Uber is one of exploiting desperation, so to think Uber holds no responsibility for the situation they are creating with this business model is absolutely insane, and anyone trying to defend Uber here needs to seriously stop and take a moment (or a year) and reflect on the intelligence of their argument (or lack there of).
Absolutely dead on true.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts