Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you can, carve out time to attend the driver advocacy meeting on Sunday August 9, 4:15pm at Yarborough Branch Library, 2200 Hancock

Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's 8:45pm how did the meeting go?
this meeting was good, attended by a Councilman and a reporter from The Chronicle. There will be an article coming in sometime this week, and the public will be made aware of what we're doing. We're making progress, but people DO need to come out and add their voice, if only to demonstrate that there's more than 4 people who care about these issues. There is so much energy behind the posts on this forum that if it were transferred to a live event, we might have some real power. Those of us that are coming forward and speaking out are not doing it just for us. I personally am not even driving anymore. We're doing for ALL of us, including the poor saps who are just now signing up and not even aware of the fkry they're in for. We need to get out of hiding behind our keyboards and start showing our faces. I've asked the reporters to not take a picture of me or print my name so as to protect my privacy, but I can still show up and add my voice. You don't have to blow your cover to show up. You just have to have some courage and show up.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, in essence, we did double our overall attendance, but only added 33% more drivers to the meeting.
I am more than a little disappointed with the lack of attendance by folks who just a couple of weeks ago were ready to jump in with both feet.
The general public needs to be made aware of Uber's sack of lies. They've succeeded in pulling the wool over people's eyes for long enough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My apologies, my wife and daughter's flight arrived late and I was waiting for them at the airport when meeting was starting. Count me in and I don't mind putting my face and name on the cause. This is extra income for me and not required to pay my bills but I know a lot of you rely on this income every week. I firmly believe the drivers should have a more impactful voice in the current state of business. There are many ways to encourage more ridership besides lowering rates. Maybe raise the rates back but get rid of Surge pricing or create a loyalty program where riders get a Free (Up to $20) Ride after paying for X amount of rides. As a driver I want more riders for sure but lowering rates every so often is like taking a chainsaw to a problem that needs a scalpel.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
this meeting was good, attended by a Councilman and a reporter from The Chronicle. There will be an article coming in sometime this week, and the public will be made aware of what we're doing. We're making progress, but people DO need to come out and add their voice, if only to demonstrate that there's more than 4 people who care about these issues. There is so much energy behind the posts on this forum that if it were transferred to a live event, we might have some real power. Those of us that are coming forward and speaking out are not doing it just for us. I personally am not even driving anymore. We're doing for ALL of us, including the poor saps who are just now signing up and not even aware of the fkry they're in for. We need to get out of hiding behind our keyboards and start showing our faces. I've asked the reporters to not take a picture of me or print my name so as to protect my privacy, but I can still show up and add my voice. You don't have to blow your cover to show up. You just have to have some courage and show up.
We see that regularly in our association. We will see hundreds of emails going back-and-forth, unbridled passion for the issues, but the same 3 or 4 people show up at council meetings. If more people don't attend, then those you are speaking to will assume you are just a small sampling of squeaky wheels. Eventually, the three or four talking heads will get tired of carrying the water. My advice to members: make it happen. If you have to miss a meeting, volunteer to do something else at a different time. Movements like this require all hands on deck!!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We did get some excellent input from Greg Casar on strategic planning.

We are going to have to appeal to the general public without coming off as the disgruntled IC's that we may actually be. Pulling back the curtain on the wizard of Oz, so to speak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1.10-.57/mile is .53
Just talk in plain facts. You can't run a driving business with profit at .53/mile

The .57 is what the government allows you to write off, and since when have they been overly generous. Your long cost for mileage on a vehicle is .57/mile they have more data than we all do.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Talk to your pax's while driving them some place. Ask them if they understand the Staring system. I've started doing this and many of them were shocked that a 4 star is not that good of a rating. Inform pax's of things sense Uber is not.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did talk in plain facts.
$1.30× .1 (10%) is 13 cents
$1.30×.15 (15%) is 19.6 cents

$0.19 × 10% = 2 cents ($0.17)
$0.19× 15% = 3 cents ($0.16)

It was a 15% price cut across the board, with no change in minimum fare.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts