Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you that have read my posts know for the most part I have been pretty positive about working for Lyft/Uber. Some have accused me a being a shill, Uber employee, etc etc etc.

On Friday night I reached my breaking point. It has nothing to do with rates, tips, or anything monetary. It isn't even anything that hasn't happened to most of us, it just pissed me off something fierce. It was the absolute disrespect of my time as another human being.

I accepted a Lyft ride 7 minutes away. I pull up to the front of the house and I see my rider looking at his phone. He looks up at me, looks back down at his phone puts in phone in his pocket, lights a cigarette and proceeds to sit in a chair with a group of his friends. He is laughing and carrying on for 3 minutes with no sign of being done anytime soon. Anger overcame me, I popped my car in driver and I peeled out loudly. Canceled the trip and not even seconds later he tries to call me which I believe the Lyft system cutoff the call since I canceled. He then immediate requests another ride which I ignored. I am pretty sure no other Lyft driver was even close since it was 1:45am in Woodstock, GA.

It is time for me to take some time off and rethink things. This millennial generation needs a kick in their pants. This is a direct result of participation trophies if you ask me. They have ruined the world.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Don't let it get to you. Just cancel and move on. If it DOES get to you, seems to me that is a sign that it is time to take a break from ubering. Anger and driving? ..... a bad mix :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Participation trophies and no one ever failed. But you are right, if you can't laugh at the idjits it is time for a vacation. This type of work is only for fun and only for part time money.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
When I was doing uberx, I had a similar situation.

I pull up to a place, wait 5 minutes. I was about to cancel when a girl approached me. Are you here for Molly? Yes. I'll say goodbye to my friends and we will go.

Ok, so I'm watching her. She comes to her friends, they start chatting, laughing, she lights up a cigarette.. No urgency on her part as I'm waiting for her.

I cancel, and yell through the open window.. Have a nice day!!!

As I'm pulling away, she pings me again.. Lol. Ignore.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had a similar experience with a pax a couple of months ago. I texted to say I was out front and she replies I'm heading out now. I wait a couple minutes and no one comes out the door. Right at the five minute mark, she comes to the car and says, "I'll be right back. I'm going to get my friend." I look and she sits down and starts drinking a beer. As soon as I saw this, I cancel the trip. She calls me. I sent her to voicemail. Pax are so disrespectful and inconsiderate of our time but guess whose weekly summary had a writeup about professionalism lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Had a similar experience with a pax a couple of months ago. I texted to say I was out front and she replies I'm heading out now. I wait a couple minutes and no one comes out the door. Right at the five minute mark, she comes to the car and says, "I'll be right back. I'm going to get my friend." I look and she sits down and starts drinking a beer. As soon as I saw this, I cancel the trip. She calls me. I sent her to voicemail. Pax are so disrespectful and inconsiderate of our time but guess whose weekly summary had a writeup about professionalism lol.
Why dont you guys wait the 5 minutes and get the cancel fee. I dont understand why you would pass up the opportunity to really teach the pax a lesson. having to pay a cancel fee is the only thing that will teach them a little respect

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why dont you guys wait the 5 minutes and get the cancel fee. I dont understand why you would pass up the opportunity to really teach the pax a lesson. having to pay a cancel fee is the only thing that will teach them a little respect
I usually do just collect the cancelation fee and move on but in this case, it was a surge fare and would've made me reach my goal for the night so I gave her a couple of minutes more than the five. She had come out to tell me that she'd be right back because her friend apparently stopped following her out the door. Once I saw her go in and sit back down at the bar and pick up a beer, I canceled and went about my night. I didn't wait a very long time because it was obvious she thought she wasn't coming right back.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand the cancellation fee but sometimes when your blood is boiling it is time to leave regardless of situation. I will add one of the negative things about Lyft it is an act of congress to get a cancellation fee from them. Especially if you do not call the rider prior to cancelling and I sure as hek wasn't going to do that. I just moved on.

·
Banned
3,693 Posts
I understand the cancellation fee but sometimes when your blood is boiling it is time to leave regardless of situation. I will add one of the negative things about Lyft it is an act of congress to get a cancellation fee from them. Especially if you do not call the rider prior to cancelling and I sure as hek wasn't going to do that. I just moved on.
Lyft pays you $5 after waiting 5 minutes here in LA. Always get mine

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
As I've said before, if you find your blood boiling -- its not worth it, cancel and move on. Laugh about it maybe. Hey, there's other pings to be accepted!!!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I blame Uber and Lyft for encouraging disrespect towards their drivers. If the service costs more and there were standards enforced across the board for drivers and passengers, you'd see people acting accordingly. Let's face it lots of people are opportunists and would try to get away with as much as possible.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Took you long enough to see our side of the fence.
Now imagine dealing with this every single day.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Saturday I got a ping to an apartment complex. A young mom and her 5yr old daughter is out front. I pull up and she has bags and a suit case. Open the hatch put everything in and she says, little Suzi needs to go poop, do you mind waiting? I said no, go ahead. 5 minutes past so since I had their stuff in the car I started the trip. Saw that it was a 30 mile destination so I continued to wait. 10 more minutes past before they showed back up. If it would have been any thing less than what it was, their shit would have been on the curb. During the trip I here soda cans being opened. Get them to the destination, drop off and check my back seat. Yup, you guessed it, soda all over my back seat. BIG wet stains. Talk about blood boiling. It was only 9:30am and I was already at $50.00 for 2.5hrs of work and had to dead head about 35 miles back home to clean my seats. The day was ruined.

I didn't submit pics to Uber because my interior is a gray/black weave cloth and it would have looked like I poured water on the seats and I was just trying to collect a cleaning fee. I had no proof to show it was soda.

These disrespectful pieces of crap need a good butt kicking. (Toned down language to appease the overlords) lol

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yes. A break is a good thing. Take some time off open up your Excel spreadsheet start crunching numbers. Reorganize your time. Since a large chunk of it you have control over

Maybe look for a part time pizza delivery gig.

I know we all need money and can't afford a break all the time.. Some of us need it right now. Some of us can wait a few minutes.

I would say walk it off, but it's not a stinger. So sleep it off I usually feel better in the morning. Usually

Reactions: uberguuber and Nemo

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just call and when it connects hang up. I do this after each arrival. So im ready to cancel after 5 minutes. It was 3 minutes on lyft but they changed it

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I use ride share timer from app store.. At 4:50 seconds Im Oscar mike

Reactions: docswife
1,528 Posts
Most of you that have read my posts know for the most part I have been pretty positive about working for Lyft/Uber. Some have accused me a being a shill, Uber employee, etc etc etc.

On Friday night I reached my breaking point. It has nothing to do with rates, tips, or anything monetary. It isn't even anything that hasn't happened to most of us, it just pissed me off something fierce. It was the absolute disrespect of my time as another human being.

I accepted a Lyft ride 7 minutes away. I pull up to the front of the house and I see my rider looking at his phone. He looks up at me, looks back down at his phone puts in phone in his pocket, lights a cigarette and proceeds to sit in a chair with a group of his friends. He is laughing and carrying on for 3 minutes with no sign of being done anytime soon. Anger overcame me, I popped my car in driver and I peeled out loudly. Canceled the trip and not even seconds later he tries to call me which I believe the Lyft system cutoff the call since I canceled. He then immediate requests another ride which I ignored. I am pretty sure no other Lyft driver was even close since it was 1:45am in Woodstock, GA.

It is time for me to take some time off and rethink things. This millennial generation needs a kick in their pants. This is a direct result of participation trophies if you ask me. They have ruined the world.
I agree the USA as we knew it is over..bunch of morons today!! the Hippies ruled! They never bothered anybody..

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Every generation says the same thing about the previous/next gen. I'm puzzled to imagine how the millenials will percieve their next gen.

Now we got all these new wannabe-hippy/lumberjack/tech nerd politically correct hybrids lets disrupt this and buy that because it has a "story "

Pretentiousness

1 - 20 of 35 Posts