Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, no, I don't automatically 1-Star self-identified Uber/Lyft drivers. But this guy earned it.

Had just dropped off a rich couple who was going to a rich people party. No tip (but, of course). Ended that trip, hey, look, I'm in a 2.2 surge! Stopped at a QuikTrip to see what came, nothing. Dwindled to a 1.5. Nothing. 2 minutes later, surge drops. Immediately, "beep! beep! beep! Ping request, motha****a!!" 4.7, 5 minutes away. I need the money. Sigh. Accept.

• Arrive in 3 minutes. Started my 4min, 30sec countdown.
  • Pax comes out at my 0:04:28 mark, great. -_- Doesn't get in, waves at me, goes to his garage and gets a 12-pack.
  • Gets in, "we are dropping off this beer a few houses down." We stop about 10 houses down.
  • Six. Effin. Minutes. He's having a nice convo at the door just laughing and shit. What the ****, man.
  • Finally comes back, "hey, sorry for the wait! Okay, now we are going to XYZ Place." Like 3 miles away, 8 minutes or so because traffic.
  • "Do you have a charger?" Yes, in that back pocket. "Wait, this doesn't fit my case." (I bought generic-brand Lightning and Micro USB chargers for like $3 and they are a little bulky below the actual metal part, but that's why I bought those hoping they are a bit robust) [eyes my iPhone on my dashboard] "Hey, let me borrow yours since yours is the skinny one." Uh. Okay...
  • Asks questions about my car, mileage, my strobe light, etc. "I drive Uber in Austin."
  • Trip ends, he is unsure if this is the address because it is dark. "Do you have a flashlight?" No. I don't. "Oh. I carry one in my Uber for stuff like this." (I do have one, but at this point, **** you, man.) I can see the address painted on the curb.
  • "Oh yeah. Haha. Thanks." Slams door on the way out. No tip.
  • Zero Stars if that was possible.

·
Registered
228 Posts
What a jerk. I’d have done the same.

Anytime I take an Uber I never say that I’m a driver unless it’s gonna be a 10 minute plus trip and I’m in my market. If it’s gonna be over 10 minutes then I can mention it and we can talk about strategy in our market and issues we’ve noticed with pax and the app.

If there’s not the time to have a productive conversation about me being a driver too then I’m afraid I’ll sound like “I’m a driver too, I know the struggle brother!” And then not connect on any common ground and leave.

Also, if I identify as a Uber driver to them then I always tip $5 on rides that are under 20 minutes and no traffic and $10 on longer rides or rides with lots of traffic. And I’ve always been tipped $5 or $10 from drivers that I drive. We gotta take care of each other and show appreciation.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
If I was the pax..
I would ask for the AUX..
Blast your speaker..
Cancel the trip in the middle of the ride..
Yell at you if you kick me out of the car..
Reschedule the ride again as Express pool..

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Been a pax twice; both times I ordered Select; both times I tipped.
One of the drivers, upon finder out I was driver, offered to cancel the trip and make it an X; I declined.

It's a lot like overtipping a food service person, it makes you feel good.

·
Registered
888 Posts
What a jerk. I'd have done the same.

Anytime I take an Uber I never say that I'm a driver unless it's gonna be a 10 minute plus trip and I'm in my market. If it's gonna be over 10 minutes then I can mention it and we can talk about strategy in our market and issues we've noticed with pax and the app.

If there's not the time to have a productive conversation about me being a driver too then I'm afraid I'll sound like "I'm a driver too, I know the struggle brother!" And then not connect on any common ground and leave.

Also, if I identify as a Uber driver to them then I always tip $5 on rides that are under 20 minutes and no traffic and $10 on longer rides or rides with lots of traffic. And I've always been tipped $5 or $10 from drivers that I drive. We gotta take care of each other and show appreciation.
Any time I use Uber, I always identify myself as a fellow driver. The ride is more interesting because we talk about problems and issues we have had and how we handled them. It is very positive to "talk shop" between each other because there is so much that we can learn from each other and the experiences we have encountered. I have never yet doubted my decision to identify myself to other drivers. The experience and driver to driver exchange serves as a truly unique golden opportunity. In addition, i rate them in a manner which is more than appropriate and do not forget about achuevement badges and positive comments, as they will have earned that recognition at, during and by the end of the trip and definitely tip them. Everything is earned and nothing is given frivolously. It's the right thing to do and it is important that we support each other. It's just THAT important!!! I have never yet met an Uber driver who deserved anything less. Period!

Reactions: pghuberaudi

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
First Off, if you are an Uber Driver, you should be doing everything that you want your pax to do.

Toes on the Curb, Introduce Yourself, Tip in Cash.

...although I did this in Denver and still got 4 starred by some POS driver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts