Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confession: in my last three or so posts I have been posting on behalf on my adorable but very laid back boyfriend of five years (it's a cultural thing - he's Arab which is exactly like Southern Italian if you know what I mean). That being said I am now going to post as myself because I hate lying and suck at it anyway.

Okay, my man started working with Uber and Lyft two weeks ago. Lyft asked him to sign up for insurance online and the TLC renter in Queens ask for his picture so he could apply for insurance. As of now he has no liability insurance. I know all rental companies have liability and collision for themselves but is it actually required for renters? Why would Lyft and the TLC car renter be so ****ing laid back? Is there an actual NYC law that says the driver needs insurance if he driving an already insured TLC vehicle?

Also, he is paying $400 a week for a 2015 Jetta. I think that is too much but he trusts the TLC car renter.

Thanks in advance.

-R

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
That's over $20,000 per year. There's gotta be a better way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.
AJ - Not a racist. Hope you were joking. o_O What is rideshare?
Jim - Yeah, 20 grand seems like a lot.

So, should I not be concerned about the insurance?

·
Registered
359 Posts
He over paying for the car, but doesn't sound like he has many options. becauseif he did he would just get a loan and own the car for alot less.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
$400 a month. okay. still don’t like it. I don’t like people renting or leasing or buying a car for Uber/Lyft.

Keep your overhead low. If you must buy. Buy a used car that is cheap enough to pay all in cash. No loan or credit.

$400 a week? oh hell nooo

·
Registered
359 Posts
what are you talking about ....people buy . rent . lease all the time for Uber . everyone different . what you do inherit your car.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have a Saturn Ion. Cost me $6k. Owe less than it's worth now. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, maintenance a non issue. Nice, leather, still 5*.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts