Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 210 Posts

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you mean "now"? You have always been required to take them.

Vests etc are not needed. So having them or not is beside the point.

There ARE pit bull service dogs by the way.

www.pitsforpatriots.org
I know but some are not trained service dogs. They go online and buy a card, vest, and choice of patch, therapy or service. They are not real service dogs. They know in CA it is against the law to ask about what the dog does and owner disability. I don't want to take someone's personal dog not a certified service dog. My sister trains service dogs so I know about these fraudulent people claiming they are service or therapy dogs and if I get a complaint I will get deactivated.

Uber needs to pay more if I have to shuffle around some people who don't have clean dogs free of fleas and ticks. People will take advantage of this.

Most people heard about this today. Watch, more people will buy those vests from eBay. I only carry my own little mini dachshund in my little car.

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Though i agree with you, every company enforces it's own policies on top of that. I'm just saying don't be surprised for deactivating people over this.
Yes good reason for peeps to complain
In my experience, people who require assistance will tell you. They will typically not give you any reason to doubt them. The dog is well behaved because it's trained.

That
Vs.

Small hairy dog, barking and jumping all over the place. And some dumb lazy excuse why they NEED to be able to take the dog.

"C'mon, it's a small puppy!"
"I swear it doesn't shed "

"Please, you're the second uber driver to say no. I'm not going far. "
That's precisely the point, if you were going far, it would be worth my while.
I went to the Drs last week two heavyset women were sitting together with two little barking chihuahuas, both had those little therapy vests on. Ladies told me they were therapy dogs for depression then they laughed. I thought yeah right. Dogs kept barking. I asked the front office receptionist if she could do anything I wasn't feeling well that's why I was at the Drs not the freaking vets. She said nothing she could do or she would get in trouble. She asked if I wanted to reschedule. I was so mad.

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
To tell you frankly I'm OK with small dogs, service animal or not, but I have a phobia of large dogs in a confined space, have been chased and attached way too many times as a child ADA should protect me ....
I love little dogs as mine is a little 8yr mini dachshund. Labs are nice and golden retrievers. I have scars on my upper leg where my neighbors sweet loving non abused family pit bull they raised as a puppy charged me when I walked out the front door. Dog put its big teeth into my thigh. I was screaming in pain blood was spurting out the holes of my leg. It was in the hot summer I was miserable that summer from the holes in my leg muscle. Thank god the owner hit him in head with a bat. They were smart enough to give him to a trainer. No I did not sue. They are good neighbors.. I should have they never even offered to pay my Drs bill.

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I don't mind taking legitimate trained service dogs but not being confined in a small car with someone falsely claiming their dog is a service dog in order to take it with them.

It's hard to distinguish a real service or therapy dog from someone that could falsely be representing that their dog is one unless their owner is blind. Ordering a vest from eBay is easy hundreds to choose from. These people have ruined it for true service dogs that go through extensive training.

I got attacked by a pit bull and I'm not comfortable with a strangers big dog in my car who claims to be a service dog whom I don't know their dogs temperament around strangers as opposed to my own, friend or families dog.

And yes service dog laws applies to emotional support therapy dogs as well.

I just believe since this was all over the news yesterday people will take advantage of it since so many dog lovers here in LA and OC.

Will Uber pay if someone's dog attacks or bites us in our vehicle? Of course not. Most people that own vicious dogs don't realize they are a liability if they hurt someone.

I love dogs but I don't like Uber telling me I have to be confined in my own car with a stranger who claims it's a service dog when I don't know for sure and could be bitten. It should be my own decision not theirs unless they offer me some kind of medical insurance.

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Confined with dog or human what's the difference
Dogs can bite. I don't know how a strangers dog is around other strangers. Could be someone who picked it up at the pound a week earlier and bought a vest claiming it's a service dog because no one to watch it at home. I don't trust anyone's word.

I have no problem taking my own dog, my friends or family's dog. By the way I have a little safety car seat for my own dog she's strapped in with a seatbelt.

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Get a canvas drop cloth from one the the big home improvement stores. They are washable. Cover an area for the dog. That should prevent most issues.

I've never been requested by someone with a pet, but that's my plan when and if it happens.

By the way, I received a bad rating and a complaint filed against me for using a cane. The pax found it creepy, and Uber agreed and suggested I not use it so I wouldnt offend anybody in the future. So don't expect rational responses from Uber on your physical needs versus the passenger's wants.

I don't really want a dog in my car, but I'd rather drive a dog than a pax any day. If dogs had pockets they would tip. I'm sure of it.
OMG Uber said it was creepy for you to use a needed cane? I would have told them where to stick it. Write them and tell them your attorney will be contacting them. That's discrimination.

When I got my inspection to drive for Uber they wanted me to take my hitch bike rack off or I wouldn't pass so I went off on them that it's my freaking car. They finally said Ok but I would get bad ratings for having it on my car. Guess what? I've never had one complaint about it.

1 - 10 of 210 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.