Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Accept ping, get food, see the distance is too far, car Uber Support and tell them to cancel the order you are giving the food back to the restaurant. Make it as miserable on Uber as you can. Since this is in the testing phase you have a chance to make them reconsider it.
I like the way you think. Without knowing where I am picking up from, and where I am going, estimated time and mileage, there's no way in hell I would take an Uber eats order. I do about 4 or 5 a week when they have no driver so it's surging. I can easily do without them, just one less order that will get delivered hot I suppose. I do like the idea of making them reassign the rides.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Accept ping, get food, see the distance is too far, car Uber Support and tell them to cancel the order you are giving the food back to the restaurant. Make it as miserable on Uber as you can. Since this is in the testing phase you have a chance to make them reconsider it.
Uber takes a loss on the food when drivers cancel after starting a delivery, so how many times do you think Uber will allow a driver to do that before they terminate him/her?

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Sad part is you will have ants that will take those jobs and praise Uber for giving them these low paying jobs…

Uber awhile back sent me a message stating that $10.00 an hour was a profitable wage for a driver and that is why our rates were so low, and I laughed because even McDonald’s is paying more per hour without using my vehicle!

Dara cares so little for his driver’s and believe that he has a unlimited resource of driver’s and by implementing such rule changes it will not cost Uber a thing…

I am happy I have Hub and Dash as my alternative source of income and sooner or later Uber will end up being sold or closed down…
If you drive for Doordash you'll notice that they not only copy Uber's scummy practices (time-outs, etc), they try to outdo Uber.

If Uber somehow gets away with this there's a real possibility DD will do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Sad part is you will have ants that will take those jobs and praise Uber for giving them these low paying jobs…
If enough ants were taking those deliveries Uber wouldn't have felt the need to do something as drastic and risky as this.

Obviously the trash orders are piling up at the restaurants and Uber's desperate.

·
Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
8,293 Posts
This is their solution for folks refusing certain restaurants. (I'm imagining drive thru only places late night)

This is an act of desperation.

Go ahead uber... drive the ants away and piss off your restaurants and waste a bunch of money paying for orders that never get picked up. The homeless in your test markets will love you for it when piles of prepared and paid for food goes into the trash.

That's why they do all this changing it wasn't meant to be full-time they can always get part-timers to do these crappy deliveries.
If I wasn't getting the restaurant names I'd just atop trying. Can't think of the last week I broke $200 doing delivery so part time is definitely me.

But to be fair the last couple times I went online I gave up after half hour or so of declining crap offers.

·
2021 Bugatti Chiron
7,271 Posts
Uber takes a loss on the food when drivers cancel after starting a delivery, so how many times do you think Uber will allow a driver to do that before they terminate him/her?
Not many times if you cancel it, let Uber support cancel it and tell them you don't have the food. They can simply reassign it to another driver.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Uber wants EVERY driver to do this full time.

The fact that Uber's doing this "test" shows that the crappy orders are piling up at the restaurants.
The trouble with Uber is that they continually expect the drivers to subsidize their failed business model. When they brought this 5 /10 acceptance crap to LA, the number of rides I took for Uber plummeted by about 80%. They appear too stupid to realize that drivers do more rides when they can see the destination.

·
Registered
700 Posts
They can’t do that. It limits the driver as an independent contractor to make an informed descision on whether to accept an offer and whether it’s profitable. They’re going to have a class action so fast, they’ll not have time to blink.

If they want to do that, they need to treat drivers as employees, with all the bells and whistles that come with that.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
They can’t do that. It limits the driver as an independent contractor to make an informed descision on whether to accept an offer and whether it’s profitable. They’re going to have a class action so fast, they’ll not have time to blink.

If they want to do that, they need to treat drivers as employees, with all the bells and whistles that come with that.
They shouldn't be allowed to hide pertinent info from workers who are classified as independent contractors but they've been doing it for years and getting away with it.

Look at rideshare. Uber and Lyft have been hiding destinations from rideshare drivers since day one.

Doordash and Uber hide tips and get away with it.

I don't know on what grounds they could sued for. The law is very vague (probably at the behest of lobbyists) on employee vs contractor.

The entire independent contractor business model (including the gig economy) is long overdue for major reform and regulation.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Actually you used to see the pickup and drop off on Uber back in 2015 when I was driving just saying. But drivers were canceling cuz they saw where the drop off was an the pickup but I don't see much difference now drivers still doing the same thing canceling all the time. I've got diamond status but all I see is you know the minutes if I could see where I was going to be dropping somebody off at I might take some of these long runs

·
Registered
4,114 Posts

Including guaranteed hourly pay like they do in California, and not counting tips.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
The trouble with Uber is that they continually expect the drivers to subsidize their failed business model. When they brought this 5 /10 acceptance crap to LA, the number of rides I took for Uber plummeted by about 80%. They appear too stupid to realize that drivers do more rides when they can see the destination.
I agree with your first sentence but disagree with your last sentence.

Uber and Lyft hide destinations in order to prevent cherrypicking, which in turn enables them to pay the drivers artificially low pay rates. It's as simple as that.

Your situation was the exception rather than the rule, especially given the Covid pandemic and the radical rule changes that took place in California.

Destination info + bad pay rates = more cherrypicking

Destination info + good pay rates = less cherrypicking

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I agree with your first sentence but disagree with your last sentence.

Uber and Lyft hide destinations in order to prevent cherrypicking, which in turn enables them to pay the drivers artificially low pay rates. It's as simple as that.

Your situation was the exception rather than the rule, especially given the Covid pandemic and the radical rule changes that took place in California.

Destination info + bad pay rates = more cherrypicking

Destination info + good pay rates = less cherrypicking
I would add that during the pandemic when the rates were excellent I did not care about the destination.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Actually you used to see the pickup and drop off on Uber back in 2015 when I was driving just saying. But drivers were canceling cuz they saw where the drop off was an the pickup but I don't see much difference now drivers still doing the same thing canceling all the time. I've got diamond status but all I see is you know the minutes if I could see where I was going to be dropping somebody off at I might take some of these long runs
If I understand you correctly, you're saying that in 2015 Uber showed the pickup and drop off AFTER accepting the request but BEFORE starting the trip?

I've never heard of this before.

What I have heard from many early drivers is that the destinations have ALWAYS been hidden during the ping.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
I ordered my older sister a sandwich from a local place . Costs $14 .. $22 with tip .25 cents delivery. They mark that food up $3. The tip did not show on my bank account till.later. they hid everything. Buck that food delivery.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts