Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize Uber has lowered their requirements here and in some other cities from 2005 to 2000 for oldest car permitted.

Yet, when I spot an Uber here via their glowing app, nearly all cars seem nice or at least adequate.

Seems some complain about the poor and old cars competiting with their nice cars.

Am I simply not noticing lots of dumpy Uber cars?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable on vehicles so I probably couldn't tell you a 2000 from a 2005 if I saw them. I don't think competition is the right word, as some are using it. If we were talking sidecar, sure. But I doubt the average rider knows much about vehicles either and considering Uber doesn't take pics of a driver's actual car and the pax pays the same rate regsrdless, you would think they would choose the newest car. I have seen some drivers in cars with big dents or other defects. Have had riders relay stories of terrible interiors from covered in garbage to bad smell to ripped seats.

I think some drivers are just pissed they are putting miles on their newer vehicle whereas some people choose to use a much more cost efficient older vehicle. I drive an 08 Kia minivan and my pax love it, get a compliment on it everyday. But fuel efficiency isn't great. I suppose if I owned it outright I might just get a newer hybrid so my costs could be lower. But then again there is a great deal of comfort I would lose especially since I'm 6'1"

·
Registered
428 Posts
I realize Uber has lowered their requirements here and in some other cities from 2005 to 2000 for oldest car permitted.

Yet, when I spot an Uber here via their glowing app, nearly all cars seem nice or at least adequate.

Seems some complain about the poor and old cars competiting with their nice cars.

Am I simply not noticing lots of dumpy Uber cars?
I have seen many old dodge caravans with rust, old Ford Taurus, old Nissan. But what got me looking for them was the passengers that we always saying many of the cars are really old & many with no ac. I hear it every day from people. I don't know if the drivers don't like to use their air conditioning to save fuel or of it just didn't work.

·
Registered
808 Posts
How were the surges this past weekend? Debating whether to head into Boston Saturday if it's busy. I just can't justify giving a bunch of 3.60 rides while destroying a great car...

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
I have seen many old dodge caravans with rust, old Ford Taurus, old Nissan. But what got me looking for them was the passengers that we always saying many of the cars are really old & many with no ac. I hear it every day from people. I don't know if the drivers don't like to use their air conditioning to save fuel or of it just didn't work.
I wasn't aware of this problem. May I suggest we ask our riders if they have ever experienced a bad car? And if they have, or do encounter it sometime, to rate that driver poorly, and explain why to Uber. If Uber doesn't take action right away, perhaps the poor ratings will drop his/her rating so low that Uber deactivates them.

I will do this. I don't want Uber drivers in general to be criticised because of a few bad apples.
John

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have stopped driving into the city to work if I'm there is fine but not going there just for Uber. But I have seen it surging crazy yesterday & today
But the majority of the jobs are only couple miles & minimum fares which take too long because of the traffic.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wasn't aware of this problem. May I suggest we ask our riders if they have ever experienced a bad car? And if they have, or do encounter it sometime, to rate that driver poorly, and explain why to Uber. If Uber doesn't take action right away, perhaps the poor ratings will drop his/her rating so low that Uber deactivates them.

I will do this. I don't want Uber drivers in general to be criticised because of a few bad apples.
John
John when someone says I have one of the nicest & cleanest Uber x cars they have seen I always ask why have you noticed old cars lately? Then give you the horror stories. I always say well I hope you told Uber most just say they rated them low. Many people don't like to complain even about no ac on a 90° day with high humidity.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
John when someone says I have one of the nicest & cleanest Uber x cars they have seen I always ask why have you noticed old cars lately? Then give you the horror stories. I always say well I hope you told Uber most just say they rated them low. Many people don't like to complain even about no ac on a 90° day with high humidity.
Good. If more of us do as you do, perhaps more riders will be encouraged to rate them low, and perhaps complain to Uber.
IMO, Uber drivers that provide good/excellent service with good/excellent cars should try to weed out those that don't.
John

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Especially where they opened up to older cars, you have to wonder why Uber doesn't do a vehicle inspection like the Lyft mentor ride.

Reactions: BostonTaxiDriver

·
Registered
428 Posts
John
But the issue is actually with Uber x rates. They're just too low. Until they decide to raise the rates & stop lowering them they will continue to get scrappy cars. I told you I'm ready to put the 2000 Taurus on as well. But I'm only doing a few trips a week now so I'm in no rush.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
John
But the issue is actually with Uber x rates. They're just too low.
I agree, but that's another issue.
Until they decide to raise the rates & stop lowering them they will continue to get scrappy cars.
I think we can try to stop it by convincing the paxs to complain to Uber and lower those driver's ratings. Uber won't listen to us drivers, but they will be more apt to respond to rider complaints.
I told you I'm ready to put the 2000 Taurus on as well.
Oh, please don't join them. Please help to eliminate them.

If we get those bad cars and drivers deactivated, perhaps Uber will raise the driver's pay to attract more drivers.
John

·
Registered
808 Posts
I did witness the gray 2000 Ford Taurus on congress st last winter during a below zero temp night. It was a Rastafarian type of dude and the windows were totally frosted up. The poor yuppie couple looked like they were sending sign language help us messages while stopped next to my car at the lights. The rear of the car was almost scraping the street. I couldn't believe it. NOAA. I always hear that I have the nicest uber car also.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I did witness the gray 2000 Ford Taurus on congress st last winter during a below zero temp night. It was a Rastafarian type of dude and the windows were totally frosted up. The poor yuppie couple looked like they were sending sign language help us messages while stopped next to my car at the lights. The rear of the car was almost scraping the street. I couldn't believe it. NOAA. I always hear that I have the nicest uber car also.
I just choked on my coffee.lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm considering buying a 2005 Buick Lacrosse. It gets 23 mpg and makes a great Uber. Very dependable & not bad m.p.g for a full size boat. Great ride too with tons of room. I'm going to reupholster the rear seats in vynil and rubberized the floor. I drive a mint 2014 Hyundai Accent now. I have always washed & waxed by hand ,never eat,drink,or smoke in it,and the pax notice. It has 53,000 miles now from Ubering. I still fear pukes & I'm getting tired of all the interior scratches on the console,doorjam,and handles. So before I lose it on some drunken upchucker,8m going to go older. Only thing is,I fear they might bring up the year requirements again. I heard it's coming back to 2005,06,07 at end of year (hearsay). To answer the original question; I've only seen one older car in Boston. It was a minivan. I heard two complaints about dirty stinky cars but most people haven't a clue as to what model years are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts