Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I dropped off at Orlando from my beach side stomping grounds. I said what the heck let’s do the Orlando market tonight and see what happens. It began with the MCO parking lot for Uber driver. I arrived in Que at #203. And so we begin the journey of a night of driving.
I was able to find a spot easily as a car pulled out of a spot. Number were moving swiftly and I was 191 in like 4 minutes. I settled in to what appeared to be a refugee camp for people from Venezuela. After driving the night I will say Venezuela could be an option in the future. They were selling Venezuela foods and drinks and I believe there were people doing a voter registration drive in the lot.. I lasted in this lot for an hour and 20 minutes in this lot, venturing into the deluxe porta potty for a quick #1. I was the only one who washed my hands and I advise anyone daring enough to venture in this lot, do no touch anything. The CDC should probably pay this lot a visit. Well I get my fare, 3 teachers to a Disney hotel for a convention. Nice people. 40 minutes ride, $4 cash tip and a whole $19 from Uber, total time lot wait and drive , 2 hours. Not a good start. Couple of hours local drops and I even did a few Lyft jobs making a few whopping $3.11 fares. Than the fun begins. I get a uber possible premium. A fat slob coming out of a Italian steak house. Traffic was at a stand still and I called him and told him I would be five minutes. He goes yeah I can see your not moving. Well the whale gets into my nice suv Nd sits up front. He goes the doorman st the steak house tried to put us in there sub and said Uber drivers smell and use heroin. Not amused I told him that was the delay as I had to inject into my eyeball as I had no more working veins.his friends tried to apologize for the slobs behavior, all is well. Off to the Rosen hotel and of course it was the wrong one. Fatso gives me the look like I don’t know where I was going. I told him he is the one who entered the wrong Rose. Into Uber’s system . His friend apologized and I was king enough to drive them the extra. 3 Nike to the right one without a new trip being initiated. Guess I’m getting soft. They get out and I get a Lyft . Nice heavy lady doing a late night lemon chicken and shrimp run in the slums of Orlando . She was very nice and asked if I would wait and taker her back. I felt sorry for her and agreed, a whopping $3.90 fare. She did leave a 5 tip on App. I decide to head home, I’m passing airport 25 car que. I pull into lot it goes to 13 cars and than up to 36, wtf, time to get the hell out of Orlando . I booked about 90 bucks for the night, after gas, West and tear and time , I probably lost 29 bucks, all for my pimp daddy Uber. My rear side deals stretched out and I did not even get a tissue

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
Unless apple or Google are making smart portapotties, I would rather pee on both hands and air dry than wash my hands in portapottie lol

·
Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
8,296 Posts
Waiting over an hour, getting a $19 ride to disney,

Don't forget losing tolls..

That's $2.50 right there...

And going to disney is longer distance fare than average by the way...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s a horror show, you are loosing money doing airport trips there. Or, for God’s sake, the irs let’s you deduct 53.5 cents per mile. Your loosing half a penny, and they are never far off the mark. Uber will destroy the drivers in Orlando as well as the cab company

·
Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
8,296 Posts
It's a horror show, you are loosing money doing airport trips there. Or, for God's sake, the irs let's you deduct 53.5 cents per mile. Your loosing half a penny, and they are never far off the mark. Uber will destroy the drivers in Orlando as well as the cab company
The "cab" company is diversified out the wazooo.

Uber isn't putting a dent in the charter buses... (the companies real cash cow)

If the marching band from Kalamazoo Main comes to WDW to play the parade in the magic kingdom, uber hasn't affected their choice in transportation in the least, they are gonna charter 3 or 4 buses and that's all there is to it.

In 2013 (so 100% pre rideshare/uber/lyft) the taxi division accounted for a mere (pun intended) 20% of the companies revenue, and i will say that the taxis profit margin are pretty aweful for the company. Barely any better than owning a fleet of 800 rental cars. Which in the grand scheme of things... 800 rental cars isn't a very big business, or a very profitable one.

Their outlook for the next 10 years is far better than uber's is.

The drivers i know... (barring doing something stupid like camping out at the airport all shift) generally do much better than the local uber drivers do.

Full timers are in the $700+ range for profit. Probobly closer to $1000+ a week this time of year.

(of course there are idiots who do something stupid things like refusing to work late hours, never doing dispatch, or sitting at disney all day when no one is taking cabs, or sitting at the airport 4 hours to load. You need to learn when not to be places.

At the same time if i wanted to take a break i could conceivably work not very hard at all and camp {parking at a cab stand with little to zero expectation of loading any time soon} and watch Netflix or Hulu on my tablet and take a break.

I'm at $150-450 a week but that's only 1-3 shifts a week. Which in comparison to most drivers makes me extremely part time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The "cab" company is diversified out the wazooo.

Uber isn't putting a dent in the charter buses... (the companies real cash cow)

If the marching band from Kalamazoo Main comes to WDW to play the parade in the magic kingdom, uber hasn't affected their choice in transportation in the least, they are gonna charter 3 or 4 buses and that's all there is to it.

In 2013 (so 100% pre rideshare/uber/lyft) the taxi division accounted for a mere (pun intended) 20% of the companies revenue, and i will say that the taxis profit margin are pretty aweful for the company. Barely any better than owning a fleet of 800 rental cars. Which in the grand scheme of things... 800 rental cars isn't a very big business, or a very profitable one.

Their outlook for the next 10 years is far better than uber's is.

The drivers i know... (barring doing something stupid like camping out at the airport all shift) generally do much better than the local uber drivers do.

Full timers are in the $700+ range for profit. Probobly closer to $1000+ a week this time of year.

(of course there are idiots who do something stupid things like refusing to work late hours, never doing dispatch, or sitting at disney all day when no one is taking cabs, or sitting at the airport 4 hours to load. You need to learn when not to be places.

At the same time if i wanted to take a break i could conceivably work not very hard at all and camp {parking at a cab stand with little to zero expectation of loading any time soon} and watch Netflix or Hulu on my tablet and take a break.

I'm at $150-450 a week but that's only 1-3 shifts a week. Which in comparison to most drivers makes me extremely part time.
However, this Uber and Lyft continue to whittle away little by little. 1 customer at a.time. They won't hit the bus market but they sure will hit the car divisions. Look st NYC, they destroyed a once untouchable yellow taxi industry where medallions sold for close to a million dollars. It has lost 80 percent of its valuation if you can get anyone to touch it for 200,000 or well as any company crazy enough to finance it. If I went up to you and took 20 percent of your money out of your pocket last year, it would burst. Now if I continue to take ten percent out of your check every 6 months if would continue to hurt. Until the almighty nears or whoever says get rid off those dam cars we are in the bus business. And it will happen. People taking farts for 3.00 and loosing money at airports. They are breaking the monopoly slowly but surely. And you can't get in the Que at mco, 200 deep and never lets up of Venezuelans loosing money. But keeps them from the evil dictator st home while the once upper class now pick through garbage for a meal

·
Premium Member
8,296 Posts
I think that is already in the works. Mears sold out to a venture capital group a few months ago. I haven't driven for them in over a year. Are they still hiring taxi drivers? Have they bought any new cabs lately?
Yes, they are still replacing cabs. Yes they are still hiring taxi drivers.

But that is all the info i have, i barely drive taxis anymore.

The VC group.. i have no idea what the heck they are doing, as far as i can tell they havn't done anything.

They even picked up a couple cab stands, most notably Sea World.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts