Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most irritating situations as an Uber driver. Happened
to me on multiple occasions in the past, as well as last night.

The scenario goes like this:

Party of 3-4 pax either going out to eat or get drinks or returning home
from a night on the town. Party includes at least one pax, or sometimes
a couple, who doesn't really use Uber.

You arrive at dropoff point. Person in party who doesn't use Uber asks
account-holder pax "What about the Tip?" -or- "Aren't you going to tip him?"

Account holder pax, knowing darn well there IS no tip if you don't tip in cash,
or that most pax simply don't tip because its a culture of non-tipping,
trying his/her best NOT to look like a cheap-ass in front of their friends:

"Oh yeah! Don't worry, everything goes on the card!"

It wouldn't bother me so much if the cheap pax just owned up to it and said
something like "Tipping isn't part of the Uber system" or "I don't feel like
tipping the driver tonight."

I'd be totally cool with any replies like that. But to imply that you are tipping
me when you're not, simply to impress your friends, is REALLY low, and bugs
the hell out of me.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I put a tip jar permanently on my dashboard and plenty of money in it to let people know tipping should be occurring. I know I get 3 or 4 riders who normally wouldn't tip put something in. Others just don't tip and are okay with it...nothing you can do about it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I am finding alot of people are actually thinking tipping is set up on the card they use.....AND it is, IF it is an Uber Taxi account
Lots of confusion about that, people honestly think that the 10 or 20% they set up at the start is for Uber X

Just another Uber way of fooling the Pax

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am finding alot of people are actually thinking tipping is set up on the card they use.....AND it is, IF it is an Uber Taxi account
Lots of confusion about that, people honestly think that the 10 or 20% they set up at the start is for Uber X

Just another Uber way of fooling the Pax
Agree, there are definitely still some pax who think the 'tip is included'.

There are far more, however, who know it is NOT, and don't tip, just because
they are cheap and don't feel like tipping.

It looks to me like over the last year or so, drivers have done a pretty good
job educating pax on the 'tip is included' lie, so most now know it's not
included, yet still don't want to tip.

For me personally, it's more like a common sense thing. If I'm going out to dinner
with 3 of my friends, and we are taking a car service/taxi, I can't IMAGINE any
scenario in which I wouldn't tip my driver after the ride. I don't care if it's written
in the 10 Commandments "Thou shalt not tip thy Uber.".

I'm tipping, because it makes sense to, and I would feel like a bum if I didn't and
all my friends and family would start thinking of me as a bum.

It's obvious most pax have no such reservations, and tbh, I find that pretty shocking.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Agree, there are definitely still some pax who think the 'tip is included'.

There are far more, however, who know it is NOT, and don't tip, just because
they are cheap and don't feel like tipping.

It looks to me like over the last year or so, drivers have done a pretty good
job educating pax on the 'tip is included' lie, so most now know it's not
included, yet still don't want to tip.

For me personally, it's more like a common sense thing. If I'm going out to dinner
with 3 of my friends, and we are taking a car service/taxi, I can't IMAGINE any
scenario in which I wouldn't tip my driver after the ride. I don't care if it's written
in the 10 Commandments "Thou shalt not tip thy Uber.".

I'm tipping, because it makes sense to, and I would feel like a bum if I didn't and
all my friends and family would start thinking of me as a bum.

It's obvious most pax have no such reservations, and tbh, I find that pretty shocking.
Check your private :) I send you $1000 link

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a non-tipping passenger tonight who is a special kind of non-tipper.

UberPool (with a surge)

"Do you have water?"
Me: hahahaha rofl rofl "You ordered UberPool."
"You could have said just said no. I usually tip good but now with that attitude nevermind."
Me: "Well if you don't want a ride you can get out here. You were never going to tip me anyway."

She shut her mouth after that. I'm sure I got a 1* after that ride but so did she! :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I had a non-tipping passenger tonight who is a special kind of non-tipper.

UberPool (with a surge)

"Do you have water?"
Me: hahahaha rofl rofl "You ordered UberPool."
"You could have said just said no. I usually tip good but now with that attitude nevermind."
Me: "Well if you don't want a ride you can get out here. You were never going to tip me anyway."

She shut her mouth after that. I'm sure I got a 1* after that ride but so did she! :)
Worth the 1* for sure

·
Registered
238 Posts
Worth the 1* for sure
Agreed. I care so little about my rating, I'm just trying to make money. So sick of people lying about how they were GOING to tip but they changed their mind. Can you imagine saying that to your server before they brought your food? If I didn't have such shitty luck at the pre-2am pickups, I would have kicked them to the curb and made them wait.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just happened last night, 2 guys going to Rosie O'Gradys on a Lyft GH ride, one SWEARS he'll tip me in the app upon shaking my hand before climbing out ... LIARS!!! (and my interior stunk of their smoking habits for an hour or more afterwards)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just happened last night, 2 guys going to Rosie O'Gradys on a Lyft GH ride, one SWEARS he'll tip me in the app upon shaking my hand before climbing out ... LIARS!!! (and my interior stunk of their smoking habits for an hour or more afterwards)
As if just leaving the car without tipping weren't bad enough, some of these pax are the
Blue Ribbon Winners by either promising a tip, then not giving one, or explaining
to their friends that they are tipping on their CC after an Uber ride.

It's really unbelievable, but then, so much of this gig IS.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Then there's the good ones...

Picked up a guy on UberPool in PB today when it was at 1.6x and I was on a Lyft ride. Picked him up, and he wanted to go somewhere else to pick up his friend. Would have said no but saw surge was down by the time I got him, and he was going a ways. Picked up his friend and got a 10 euro tip out of him before the ride even ended! I go to Europe a lot, so when he said he didn't have any money, I told him I accept euros, pesos, etc. half jokingly. It worked out. :)

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Then there's the good ones...

Picked up a guy on UberPool in PB today when it was at 1.6x and I was on a Lyft ride. Picked him up, and he wanted to go somewhere else to pick up his friend. Would have said no but saw surge was down by the time I got him, and he was going a ways. Picked up his friend and got a 10 euro tip out of him before the ride even ended! I go to Europe a lot, so when he said he didn't have any money, I told him I accept euros, pesos, etc. half jokingly. It worked out. :)
Digging a little deep to pull this up

·
Registered
805 Posts
“Dude, take me to taco bell and i swear I’ll tip $10 in the app”

“Dude no, all tip requests have to be cash up front because the last 5 guys who promised tips stiffed me”

Either they hand me cash or get taken to their destination.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Uber and Lyft need to do what many restaurants and San Diego Super Shuttle do, the tip is automatically filled out in separate (first screen they see at end of service or on invoice) and then the customer must take action to NOT tip. Uber and Lyft could do this but ...well....they are just evil.

·
Registered
556 Posts
"Dude, take me to taco bell and i swear I'll tip $10 in the app"

"Dude no, all tip requests have to be cash up front because the last 5 guys who promised tips stiffed me"

Either they hand me cash or get taken to their destination.
That's the way to handle it. People lie their asses off. Up-front cash is King.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts