Uber Drivers Forum banner
101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
I drive at a certain time on a certain day where there are not many driver if any driving other than me. Got a ping and showed up, 20 minute wait on a scheduled ride two mile trip. I cancelled and moved on. Got rewarded with a nice $30 trip followed by a $23 trip back toward where I started. Got a ping for the original place and it was the same person. No scheduled trip this time. I took him. He questioned why I cancelled on him earlier and I explained why. He was now late for work and upset with me. Got a nice 1 ⭐ from him.

He knows drivers are very limited at that time, that is why he uses the scheduled feature. I told him it costs me money and I will no longer accept his request if it comes as a scheduled ride. I said if I'm available I'll be here, I'm not giving up a potentially more profitable trip while I sit there waiting for him.

The following week he scheduled again. I declined. Did another ride and Uber sent me his ride gain as a scheduled trip. Declined again. Did another trip and got his request again as a regular trip. Declined again and went and sat in his parking lot. He asked if I was working and I said yes, he said the app shows no drivers available. I said sorry, the app must not be matching us because you gave me a poor rating on the last ride. I got another ping a few minutes later. About 30 minutes later I see him getting in a Taxi. Late for work again.

He could of walked to work in the time he waited for a ride.

Will see what happens next week.
"Oh, well, if you hadn't down-rated me I could have given you a ride. 4☆ or less and UBER won't match us for 6 months."

It's not nearly that simple anymore.

It definitely is not simply a lack of drivers. It used to be, way back 2015-16. I used to be able to get a surge started by putting the pin where it showed no drivers available and requesting a ride. I used an old phone and set up multiple accounts and used to get the surge up and keep it up.

It has evolved since then. Off and on today, all day there are going periods of no drivers available. I'll log on and get bombarded with 15-20 minutes away request. Not one surge all day. I have even been requesting a ride when no driver available.

I also noticed, during the early days of the pandemic, it would surge down town on the weekend even though everything was closed and it was past curfew. Most likely because they were using historical data to predict demand/surge.
Its fun on the anniversary of a big concert to pull 3.5 x and 4.0 x on a tuesday.

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
It has evolved since then.
That's entirely possible. I haven't driven for Uber in the last 13 months.

I'll be back out there when the free cheese gets turned off. For now, I don't even have a requirement to look for work, due to my age.

Don't get me wrong, I think the change in the law was a bad idea. That's a separate issue though.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I get a ride request to go to an apartment. When I arrive it shows me that it is a scheduled ride for 9:45 - 9:55. It is 9:46 so I message them to let them know i am in front of the building (there are 30 buildings in this complex and the GPS is often off). She messages back that she will need a couple minutes. I say "no problem" because I can live with 2-3 minutes. But then she messages back that she "uses the scheduled rides to give her some extra leeway". (she is thinking that she has until 9:55 to come out and is starting to get snooty with me). I consider messaging back to tell her, no, she misunderstood how it works but thought better of it as you never know how they will react. I also consider whether I should just cancel the ride then and there and leave to avoid having to deal with her but decide to let it go.

It finally tells me I can now cancel and get paid. I decide to wait an extra three minutes just to be a nice guy (I really am not a jerk honest). Finally I am over 8 minutes in now. It's 9:54 so I cancel.

She was going to wait to 9:55 to "show me" and make me wait for being "impatient". I wonder how that worked out for her? I drove away about $4.50 richer. Sorry lady but I ain't your butler and your ride was going to be a minimum fare. I am sure she was ont he phone with Uber. Hopefully they told her how it works but I doubt it.
I live outside of Pittsburgh, so there are not a lot of drivers around anytime much less now. I have gotten this several times, person schedule to 8:00 to 8:10, but uber pings me and I arrive at 7:50, then it expects me to wait the 10 minutes before the 5 minute cancel timer begins. I call the person and tell them that uber has me show up early, if they are ready we go, otherwise I cancel and move on, it is not worth waiting. I now check to see if it is a schedule trip, check the start time and compare it to the estimated arrived time from google maps, and if there is a 10 minute window, I call the person to tell them that I am going to arrive at 7:50 and to be ready. If they say anything but OK, I cancel the trip. I am not waiting anymore with the shortage of drivers, good luck.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
It's not nearly that simple anymore.

It definitely is not simply a lack of drivers. It used to be, way back 2015-16. I used to be able to get a surge started by putting the pin where it showed no drivers available and requesting a ride. I used an old phone and set up multiple accounts and used to get the surge up and keep it up.

It has evolved since then. Off and on today, all day there are going periods of no drivers available. I'll log on and get bombarded with 15-20 minutes away request. Not one surge all day. I have even been requesting a ride when no driver available.

I also noticed, during the early days of the pandemic, it would surge down town on the weekend even though everything was closed and it was past curfew. Most likely because they were using historical data to predict demand/surge.
Our nightly "promotions" are restricted to the small downtown area of Charlottesville, VA and the central area around the university. There was the same promotion last night, even though nearly everything downtown is closed on Mondays, and the students typically don't move around as much. 90% of the requests I took were outside that area and only several were students; there was a good amount of traffic to/from a Covid vaccination site. So these promotions are either based on historical data or a tactic to get more drivers to come out in order to service all the requests that are NOT from downtown. It's like; "Why are you luring me into the downtown area at all when clearly it is not busy?" Expand the promotions to more realistic areas! In spite of these AI games I made $190 in 7 hours; 22 trips of which only two qualified for the $5/trip promotion.

·
Read Only
932 Posts
I get a ride request to go to an apartment. When I arrive it shows me that it is a scheduled ride for 9:45 - 9:55. It is 9:46 so I message them to let them know i am in front of the building (there are 30 buildings in this complex and the GPS is often off). She messages back that she will need a couple minutes. I say "no problem" because I can live with 2-3 minutes. But then she messages back that she "uses the scheduled rides to give her some extra leeway". (she is thinking that she has until 9:55 to come out and is starting to get snooty with me). I consider messaging back to tell her, no, she misunderstood how it works but thought better of it as you never know how they will react. I also consider whether I should just cancel the ride then and there and leave to avoid having to deal with her but decide to let it go.

It finally tells me I can now cancel and get paid. I decide to wait an extra three minutes just to be a nice guy (I really am not a jerk honest). Finally I am over 8 minutes in now. It's 9:54 so I cancel.

She was going to wait to 9:55 to "show me" and make me wait for being "impatient". I wonder how that worked out for her? I drove away about $4.50 richer. Sorry lady but I ain't your butler and your ride was going to be a minimum fare. I am sure she was ont he phone with Uber. Hopefully they told her how it works but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
I haven't driven in a long time, but the last time I did the cancellation fee was $10 on a scheduled trip. When you arrive early, text the pax and when they tell you that it isn't time tell them to reorder when they are ready and then cancel per the pax request. Collect your fee and move on. Hotels/motels near the airport can generate quite a lot of these scheduled trips. Not sure if Uber has closed this particular loophole, so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well apparently we have to wait ten minutes now when a comfort trip is late to get a cancellation fee, happened to me first time tonight. Pretty annoying. Never notified of the change of policy by Uber.

·
2021 Bugatti Chiron
6,444 Posts
Well apparently we have to wait ten minutes now when a comfort trip is late to get a cancellation fee, happened to me first time tonight. Pretty annoying. Never notified of the change of policy by Uber.
In my area is was 10 minute wait for Comfort from the day they started it.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I agree that is annoying. I had a great start this early a.m. with Uber. All of my scheduled trips were sent to me and I didn't have to wait on any of my guests! 👍🏿I think my Destination Filter helped...no ring around the rosy driving all over the city!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Never wait past the 5 minutes. Collect move on .
Pax should be outside on the curb waiting for you .
With lyft that would of paid you 10 dollars .
There are still drivers that wait?

If it's peak hours, you'd better be flagging me down as I arrive, or you'll be finding yourself another driver. I am not sitting idle for 2 minutes unless it's mid day/early evening/weekday. There's zero chance I wait long enough to collect a cancellation fee.

As far as scheduled rides go, I've blacklisted them. Pax are using them as hacks to avoid surge. I'll start accepting them when Uber starts paying .50 a minute wait time after 2 minutes. In the event one slips past, as soon as I realize, it's an automatic cancel.

Hell, I cancel any trips with stops or any special requests.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
The bean counters at Uber have discovered they make more money by restricting surge even if there are insufficient drivers. They would rather make some commission from low fares than no commission from no fares. I would imagine that in the smaller markets, very few pax would be willing to pay surge.
Yes, the bean counters are getting very smart (and very clever).

The UE promos have been getting tweaked in Pittsburgh over the past several weeks, with the number of trips required to hit the top-tier reward slowly going up. This is a difficult thing to explain to anyone who isn't from Pittsburgh and doesn't currently drive here, but to be as simple as possible: It's not easy to average 3 deliveries per hour here. Sometimes you get lucky and it is easy, but - on average - it's closer to 2.5 (the 3rd delivery extends into the next hour).

So, Uber has been increasing the # of deliveries needed on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from (started at) 12 between 4pm and 10pm, to (now) 18 to get the top reward.

That's hard to do, and I was literally sitting in a drive-thru line tonight at 9:54pm, when my +trip ping came in to give me my 18th delivery. It was from the same store, extended my drive time 18 minutes in opposite direction of home (made my drive home 1 hour and 25 minutes), and a lousy fee. But I had to take it, or I would have left $38 on the table.

Pittsburgh market is tough for drive times and deliveries per hour. Yinz who know the area know what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts

Should have canceled and sat there until she came out and then explained to her how it works....that's really being a nice guy!!

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Had a regular ping on Wednesday midday around Collegeville PA. Regular house. Didn't say "Scheduled" or the new "Reservation" on the ping. I was less than 5 mins away from pickup so I took it. Once I got to the street did I see it was scheduled for roughly 25 minutes out (e.g. it was about 1pm when I got the ping, the scheduled time was for 1:30-1:45). I noticed on the timer it was counting from about 18:00 and down. No way in hell am I waiting. Cancel and drive away. My time is worth much more than the $4.00 cancel fee for waiting 18-odd minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
I'm gone the second I'm eligible for a no-show fee.
I usually leave about 45 seconds before the timer is up. I slowly inch away. If you're not in my car by 4 minutes, I assume you're not going to come at all. I've had people chase me, wave their hands frantically up and down, scream at the top of their lungs asking me to wait... These are the small joys I get from doing Uber.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
There are still drivers that wait?

If it's peak hours, you'd better be flagging me down as I arrive, or you'll be finding yourself another driver. I am not sitting idle for 2 minutes unless it's mid day/early evening/weekday. There's zero chance I wait long enough to collect a cancellation fee.

As far as scheduled rides go, I've blacklisted them. Pax are using them as hacks to avoid surge. I'll start accepting them when Uber starts paying .50 a minute wait time after 2 minutes. In the event one slips past, as soon as I realize, it's an automatic cancel.

Hell, I cancel any trips with stops or any special requests.
Very surprisingly, my weekend with Uber's scheduled trips went smooth and easy. Every trip request fell in synch...I had less than 10 minute drives between pickups, and arrived at almost all scheduled trips I was sent within less than 5 minutes of the waiting window. Met my Quest bonus goal too!🤑Great job Uber! 👍🏿Now do it again...Lyft...do you 👀 this?😁

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Nope, not even close, hon.

What is required and sufficient to cause surge is one thing, and one thing only.

A shortage of drivers in an area.

That's why there's the infamous diassapearing surge. Because you chase it there, and once you get there, well... you're there, so the surge disappears.
If a lack of drivers without requests was causing a surge the suburbs and boonies
would be surging all the time.
The exact opposite is whats happening here
If you want to make any money at this
you have to go to the city.
Thats where the calls and the surges are.
Reason why your surge disappears is because you are too far away from it
when you begin to chase and demand
gets filled by the time you get there.

·
Premium Member
7,735 Posts
If a lack of drivers without requests was causing a surge the suburbs and boonies
would be surging all the time.
Maybe you can give me an explanation for why Memorial Park in Houston often is in surge. It's 1,464 acres with a golf course, hiking trails, and a few ball fields. There are no trips that originate from there. None.

101 - 120 of 151 Posts