Uber Drivers Forum banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,870 Posts
I have pax argue that the scheduled window of time is "their" time and that since they scheduled the ride, they are allowed ("I have the right...") to wait until the very last minute of that block of time. This is particularly annoying when it is at a restaurant, you are parked directly in front looking at them, and they are obviously the closer. This is on uber, they shouldn't be pushing the ride out 20 minutes early; but it's on YOU to decide if you want to waste 10+ minutes of your time, often at peak busy times. Clearly it is better not to debate anything, especially by text. I let them know when I arrive, usually ask when they plan to leave, and wait 5 minutes maximum UNLESS they insist that the wait time is theirs to use. In that case, I just cancel and leave. In my area, short 2-3 minute trips at peak times are very lucrative, see screenshot for an example; why would I sit anywhere for 10-15 minutes when I'm practically guaranteed to complete at least two short rides in that time? View attachment 590253 Pax in these situations have told me that Uber drivers cancel on them frequently and I take the time to explain the scheduled ride thing. Doing my part to educate the riding public, one person at a time!
It just uber way to sell your time because it doesn't matter for them and doesn't cost them a single cent to provide and extra level of service for the rider on ur dime. Meanwhile they still collect full service fees you don't have to worry about that. You'll think they'll discount their commission to make up for the extra work and wait time? Nope :biggrin: pimp you out for free to the rider.

I treat it like any other ride and if it not particularly busy i wait it out even if Uber window is a bit too eager to get a driver early and mill around. At least in my zone i can view the window after the trip is accepted but that information would be much better if it was shown before the trip has been accepted so you don't have to mill around. From what I see a lot of drivers don't have any information about the trip until they arrive at location.

·
5,880 Posts
I drive at a certain time on a certain day where there are not many driver if any driving other than me. Got a ping and showed up, 20 minute wait on a scheduled ride two mile trip. I cancelled and moved on. Got rewarded with a nice $30 trip followed by a $23 trip back toward where I started. Got a ping for the original place and it was the same person. No scheduled trip this time. I took him. He questioned why I cancelled on him earlier and I explained why. He was now late for work and upset with me. Got a nice 1 ⭐ from him.

He knows drivers are very limited at that time, that is why he uses the scheduled feature. I told him it costs me money and I will no longer accept his request if it comes as a scheduled ride. I said if I'm available I'll be here, I'm not giving up a potentially more profitable trip while I sit there waiting for him.

The following week he scheduled again. I declined. Did another ride and Uber sent me his ride gain as a scheduled trip. Declined again. Did another trip and got his request again as a regular trip. Declined again and went and sat in his parking lot. He asked if I was working and I said yes, he said the app shows no drivers available. I said sorry, the app must not be matching us because you gave me a poor rating on the last ride. I got another ping a few minutes later. About 30 minutes later I see him getting in a Taxi. Late for work again.

He could of walked to work in the time he waited for a ride.

Will see what happens next week.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Never wait past the 5 minutes. Collect move on .
On Uber scheduled rides, you can't collect until you're five minutes past the opening frame of a scheduled pick up time. In other words, if the scheduled pickup time is 9:30-9:40, and Uber dispatches you there at 9:15, you are stuck waiting 20 minutes before you can even cancel with a fee.

This crap has been happening quite frequently lately. I'll accept a request (they don't give you the pickup timeframe until you are there) and when I arrive, the countdown timer for a no-show fee will start at 13-14 minutes in many cases. One time it was 18 minutes. Utter horsesh!t what this company is doing with their scheduled pickups.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
It p.isses me off that uber will continue to push trips back to you again after you declined them once. This happened to me last night with a 90 minute trip; three times! I choose not to take long trips at night, or at all. WTF is Uber forcing me to reduce my acceptance rate by repeatedly pushing the same trip to me?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I drive at a certain time on a certain day where there are not many driver if any driving other than me. Got a ping and showed up, 20 minute wait on a scheduled ride two mile trip. I cancelled and moved on. Got rewarded with a nice $30 trip followed by a $23 trip back toward where I started.
I got an Uber scheduled pick-up that sent me 18 minutes early. Hell no! So, I threw on Lyft and picked up a ride close by. The lady on Lyft gave me $5 tip. Her destination wasn't too terribly far from the Uber scheduled pick-up -- that I left running the whole time I was giving my Lyft ride -- so I headed back to start that.

I wound up showing up five minutes late for the Uber pax, but they didn't complain. I took her to work and she was quite pleasant about it.

WTF is Uber forcing me to reduce my acceptance rate by repeatedly pushing the same trip to me?
Unless you're worried about keeping your acceptance rating high for the useless Uber Pro perks, I wouldn't waste any time fretting about it. That's the psychological game Uber is playing. They know if you're going accept 85% of the crap rides they throw you, eventually you'll break.

Uber Pro is the biggest mindf*ck they've perpetrated against drivers. It isn't worth the hassle. Your dead miles will go through the roof if you try to maintain 85% acceptance.

I treat it like any other ride and if it not particularly busy i wait it out even if Uber window is a bit too eager to get a driver early and mill around. At least in my zone i can view the window after the trip is accepted but that information would be much better if it was shown before the trip has been accepted so you don't have to mill around. From what I see a lot of drivers don't have any information about the trip until they arrive at location.
There is a small icon in the ping notification that it is a scheduled pickup. There's a little clock-looking thing but you can hardly see it. When you're driving and looking at the ping info, you have a split second to decide.

I've started rejecting most pings that indicate its a scheduled ride. Sometimes, I will gamble if it is close enough to my present location. If the total wait time is 10 minutes, I'm typically okay with that. Anything over 10, and the Lyft app goes on for nearby riders. The poor Uber sucker will get cancelled, or stuck watching me drive a Lyft pax on their smartphone.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I got an Uber scheduled pick-up that sent me 18 minutes early. Hell no! So, I threw on Lyft and picked up a ride close by. The lady on Lyft gave me $5 tip. Her destination wasn't too terribly far from the Uber scheduled pick-up -- that I left running the whole time I was giving my Lyft ride -- so I headed back to start that.

I wound up showing up five minutes late for the Uber pax, but they didn't complain. I took her to work and she was quite pleasant about it.

Unless you're worried about keeping your acceptance rating high for the useless Uber Pro perks, I wouldn't waste any time fretting about it. That's the psychological game Uber is playing. They know if you're going accept 85% of the crap rides they throw you, eventually you'll break.

Uber Pro is the biggest mindf*ck they've perpetrated against drivers. It isn't worth the hassle. Your dead miles will go through the roof if you try to maintain 85% acceptance.

There is a small icon in the ping notification that it is a scheduled pickup. There's a little clock-looking thing but you can hardly see it. When you're driving and looking at the ping info, you have a split second to decide.

I've started rejecting most pings that indicate its a scheduled ride. Sometimes, I will gamble if it is close enough to my present location. If the total wait time is 10 minutes, I'm typically okay with that. Anything over 10, and the Lyft app goes on for nearby riders. The poor Uber sucker will get cancelled, or stuck watching me drive a Lyft pax on their smartphone.
Scheduled trips used to be profitable, especially ones going to the airport and a guaranteed airport return trip. Now, they are used by cheapo pax who use it with the belief that it will allow them to avoid paying surge, or that Uber will guarantee that they will picked up. Now, I just avoid them like a root canal. :eek:-o: :eek:-o: :eek:-o:

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Scheduled trips used to be profitable, especially ones going to the airport and a guaranteed airport return trip. Now, they are used by cheapo pax who use it with the belief that it will allow them to avoid paying surge, or that Uber will guarantee that they will picked up. Now, I just avoid them like a root canal. :eek:-o: :eek:-o: :eek:-o:
I think it is also an outgrowth from the lack of available rideshare drivers. These pax used to be able to throw out a request any time of day and have a car within 10 minutes. Now, it seems like (at least in my market) many pax are waiting over an hour to score a driver. So, they figure by scheduling their ride, they won't have to play Uber roulette.

Problem is, Uber is getting so stupid with their dispatching protocol, it is forcing drivers like myself to abandon scheduled pickups altogether. This is a truly dumb organization for being a so-called "technology company."

·
5,880 Posts
Always message that you've arrived... Often, the GPS "thinks" you're still several minutes away. PAX wouldn't know, otherwise....
I have found this varies by area, however in my primary area it holds true. App tells PAX I am 5 minutes away when I am 1 Minute away. Often PAX is in the car and we are a mile down the road and their app beeps that I have arrived.

Reactions: MHR

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I think it is also an outgrowth from the lack of available rideshare drivers. These pax used to be able to throw out a request any time of day and have a car within 10 minutes. Now, it seems like (at least in my market) many pax are waiting over an hour to score a driver. So, they figure by scheduling their ride, they won't have to play Uber roulette.

Problem is, Uber is getting so stupid with their dispatching protocol, it is forcing drivers like myself to abandon scheduled pickups altogether. This is a truly dumb organization for being a so-called "technology company."
With Lyft I learned quickly to never take a scheduled ride because they would always take it away from me once I actually accepted it. It was like Lyft was just trolling me. lol Now I just roll my eyes and say "no way!" when I see a scheduled ride is available.

Always message that you've arrived... Often, the GPS "thinks" you're still several minutes away. PAX wouldn't know, otherwise....
I do that when my spidey sense tingles and tells me something is wrong. Such as in this case at a apartment complex where the gps is off. We're damned if we do, damned if we don't though because doing what you suggest could be interpreted as rushing the customer by some of them. Also if you contact them right away and the address is wrong they will usually want you to drive to the new address. Usually this is no big deal but when it is over a mile away or ten more minutes due to traffic it makes waiting for the 5 minutes to cancel more iffy. For that reason absent a good reason to do otherwise I typically wait 1-3 minutes before contacting the customer.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I get a ride request to go to an apartment. When I arrive it shows me that it is a scheduled ride for 9:45 - 9:55. It is 9:46 so I message them to let them know i am in front of the building (there are 30 buildings in this complex and the GPS is often off). She messages back that she will need a couple minutes. I say "no problem" because I can live with 2-3 minutes. But then she messages back that she "uses the scheduled rides to give her some extra leeway". (she is thinking that she has until 9:55 to come out and is starting to get snooty with me). I consider messaging back to tell her, no, she misunderstood how it works but thought better of it as you never know how they will react. I also consider whether I should just cancel the ride then and there and leave to avoid having to deal with her but decide to let it go.

It finally tells me I can now cancel and get paid. I decide to wait an extra three minutes just to be a nice guy (I really am not a jerk honest). Finally I am over 8 minutes in now. It's 9:54 so I cancel.

She was going to wait to 9:55 to "show me" and make me wait for being "impatient". I wonder how that worked out for her? I drove away about $4.50 richer. Sorry lady but I ain't your butler and your ride was going to be a minimum fare. I am sure she was ont he phone with Uber. Hopefully they told her how it works but I doubt it.
You did the right thing !

With Lyft I learned quickly to never take a scheduled ride because they would always take it away from me once I actually accepted it. It was like Lyft was just trolling me. lol Now I just roll my eyes and say "no way!" when I see a scheduled ride is available.

I do that when my spidey sense tingles and tells me something is wrong. Such as in this case at a apartment complex where the gps is off. We're damned if we do, damned if we don't though because doing what you suggest could be interpreted as rushing the customer by some of them. Also if you contact them right away and the address is wrong they will usually want you to drive to the new address. Usually this is no big deal but when it is over a mile away or ten more minutes due to traffic it makes waiting for the 5 minutes to cancel more iffy. For that reason absent a good reason to do otherwise I typically wait 1-3 minutes before contacting the customer.
Yea those scheduled rides are not worth it.
You have to rearrange your schedule and they can end up bumbing you at the last minute.

Yea those scheduled rides are not worth it.
You have to rearrange your schedule and they can end up bumbing you at the last minute.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
just finished for the day...my next to last call was a scheduled ride i arrived 18 minutes early....waited for two minutes then cancelled..im not going to engage a person on the phone who thinks its ok to make a driver wait that long. this is uber's fault,if they compensated in 2021 dollars instead of 1803 dollars this wouldent even be an issue. good luck getting another ride lol

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
just finished for the day...my next to last call was a scheduled ride i arrived 18 minutes early....waited for two minutes then cancelled..im not going to engage a person on the phone who thinks its ok to make a driver wait that long. this is uber's fault,if they compensated in 2021 dollars instead of 1803 dollars this wouldent even be an issue. good luck getting another ride lol
Nice to know Uber is still Uber even in the pandemic

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Damn you waited 8 mins? 4 min 50 seconds door is locked and car starts rolling, 5 min mark instant cancel, I don't care if you wave at me from the back view mirror.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Damn you waited 8 mins? 4 min 50 seconds door is locked and car starts rolling, 5 min mark instant cancel, I don't care if you wave at me from the back view mirror.
You know I try to read every situation differently.
I have a soft spot for kids and parents.
If the parent is being held up by the child I cut them slack.
It makes me feel good and Karma is a *****.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
- On taxi rates (market rates), the waiting can be profitable at $0.50 / minute. In that case I would gladly wait for the pax. :geek: :geek: :geek:
There should be a "wait" fee for, lets say, $0.40 a minute on top of the total wait time when canceled. That would be the wait fee plus the cancellation fee.
We'll see that any day now.

41 - 60 of 125 Posts