Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
It was pretty curious actually. I saw it count down from about two or three minutes then it turned read and said something like "this ride is eligible for cancellation". Might it depend on when you arrive? In this case I arrived one minute after the start of the window. I'm thinking if someone arrived significantly before the start of the window it might not offer cancellation after five minutes?

As far as I can tell the window just means that the driver will arrive within that time frame. It doesn't mean that the customer can come out at any time between then. If the driver arrives before that time window I am thinking maybe Uber doesn't count that time for the cancellation period until it crosses the start of the window?
this is how it works....ride scheduled for 10 am you arrive at pick up and timer starts. you arrived at 9:52 am you will get paid a slightly higher wait time for the first 8 minutes..here its like 22 vs 15.75 cents per min. the cancel timer will not start until 10:00 am...at 10:05 you will be eligible for the cancel fee. If you cancel the ride and you did not drive more then 8 min or 6 miles to the pick up you will get the normal 3.98 cancel fee at least thats what they pay here in vegas. If you complete the ride and lets say for arguments sake it was min fare and you drove under those min and distant limits to the pick up you would get the additional 1.60/ 0r 70 whatever it is. In vegas we get paid for long distance after 8 min and 6 miles. so a 25 mile pick up ,although it sucks they dont pay for those first min and miles you will get paid like a regualr trip for the remaining time and miles on top of the fare. if you turn down too many it will affect your account,in addition due to shortages it is irrelavent,you will just continue to get long pick ups anyways. Im sure some of you will think ,no way would i do that,I am telling you that you can do 300/400 a day in a 4 seater here and we are only at 50% capacity as of now. Im sure this will change when all of the government mooches run out money from the government,but for now its nice to know that just about anytime i want i can bring in 2500+ a week without breaking a sweat. just depends on how much you want to work. anyways , this was an expansion on the thread but i just got rolling lol....

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
The only time I wait past the time when I can cancel and get a fee is if I see they have luggage (airports are the best trips I can get) or if I see it's someone who is disabled and needs a little time to walk out. Everyone else can eat shit and learn to be ready when they request the ride.

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
For me, it's debatable whether to wait longer. But I rarely have gotten scheduled rides anyway. Maybe a half dozen in close to 1,000 trips.

But if they want to make a stop or two on the way to somewhere, I'm always game for that.

Why? Because it means I'm getting approximately minimum wage to clean the junk out of my car. I throw away the old paper napkins, candy bar wrappers, and sandwich bags, which I would otherwise be doing on my own time.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Why is it that some Pax not have a cancel timer on them while others clearly do?
I never figured this out?
Probably the version of Uber they are running, some people don't update and older versions don't have it. Maybe a region thing too, who knows with Uber, every city has different things going on

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
It was pretty curious actually. I saw it count down from about two or three minutes then it turned read and said something like "this ride is eligible for cancellation". Might it depend on when you arrive? In this case I arrived one minute after the start of the window. I'm thinking if someone arrived significantly before the start of the window it might not offer cancellation after five minutes?

As far as I can tell the window just means that the driver will arrive within that time frame. It doesn't mean that the customer can come out at any time between then. If the driver arrives before that time window I am thinking maybe Uber doesn't count that time for the cancellation period until it crosses the start of the window?
I'm not sure, it does seem to fluctuate. Tonight I had this gem (screenshots.) The countdown timer started at 20!!
Screenshot_20210414-235955_Uber Driver.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,870 Posts

When you accept the trip you can see if Uber screwed you on the trip and they got you too early by pressing on ride details on these kind of trips and it'll let you view the time window that the rider has set.

Usually Uber really good as in the rider has set the time for 10am for example and I get there at 9.55am on a normal uberx in which case they get exactly 5 minutes because the window for them to get ready is exactly 10am to 10.15am where the ride is going to pick them up because it is impossible to always be on the exact dot with driver canceling rides.

In which case as soon as it hits 10am and they are not out I cancel and collect my fee and handball it to the next driver that will rock up at 10.05am or 10.10am as Uber will find the next driver in which case the rider still get to where they want to be in the window they expect to be. If they want a bit of time they can order a comfort or premium ride which gives them 10 minutes of wait time extra but that still won't mean extra window time as you can arrive at 0950 and still be able to cancel at 1000. However if you arrived at 1000 then you got to wait 1010 before you can cancel as uber doesn't care about your time you don't make a dime more just waiting the extra 5.

In any case uber automatically notify the rider when they matched and gives the rider an ETA so they can be toes to the curb when you are coming. They get notified again when you get there meaning they can get out and hop in within an additional 5 minute window if you land inside that window if you got there 10 or 20 minutes early because Uber screwed you and you didn't check the ride details then you got to sit that long until you can cancel.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I am always outside 1 to 3 minutes before car arrives by gps.

Guess that is how I kept my 5 star rating.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm not sure, it does seem to fluctuate. Tonight I had this gem (screenshots.) The countdown timer started at 20!! View attachment 589609
It would be cool if when we see the scheduled trip offer it told us how many minutes until the window started. Also if our ETA was +5 minutes before the window it might be nice if Uber said something like "Scheduled trip does not start until 12:05. Take a quick break on the way?" Then it might not piss drivers off as much. I just don't want to arrive and see "Oh, I have to sit here and wait an extra 10 minutes for this $3 ride".

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
They need to have it like Lyft does so it doesn't affect your acceptance or cancellation rate in my town they use it because it's hard to get a ride what's stupid is they set the schedule time for so long but I'll go and hit I've arrived most of the time there out in 5 minutes or less if not or they say I scheduled this ride at that time I leave

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Lots more riders are scheduling rides because of the lack of drivers and think this is the way to assure a ride. After arriving early by 15 and 20 minutes for two different scheduled rides, I now refuse to drive more than a few minutes for any scheduled/reservation request. And if the ride is a long wait, I just cancel and move on to a rider who is actually ready to go who are plentiful these days. This is just another scam to increase customer service at the expense of driver earnings.

12 Posts
then when you wait too long the app dings you for "fraud" or checks in for not moving after 10 minutes lmao

"tech" company

if they schedule it too early your dammed by app, if too late like 2 minutes before "scheduled" time when youre 15 minutes away you get dammed by pax with the 1 star

only accept the 10-15 minute ones thatll at most get me their 10 minutes early since its airport, the rest cancelled because algo rather punish human then offer transparent service

·
5,880 Posts
Scheduled ride 10:00 am - 10:10 am.

You arrive at 10:00 am or later you can cancel at 5 minutes.
You arrive arrive before 10:00 am you can cancel after the difference between you arriving and 5 minutes. Example you arrive at 09:53 am and you can cancel after 12 minutes or 10:05 am. Basically if you arrive before the scheduled window, your timer will start at the point where you can cancel at 5 minutes after the first time in the threshold.

·
Premium Member
6,449 Posts
I drove over twenty minutes (see my other threads), including getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic (destination filter), only to discover that it was a scheduled trip - for 25+ minutes after I arrived.

Yeah, I didn't get paid shit for that. 😂

·
Premium Member
12,870 Posts
Scheduled trips need like a 10 bucks right of the bat payment to the driver not to Uber and I'll help the driver to go the extra mile. These trips are often not worth if uber sent you there early and you got to sit around unpaid for 5-10 minutes and you can't even cancel because you won't get the fee as you are nowhere near their window. Fails as a tech company. Expects ants just to sit there on base rate for free :biggrin: typically of uber really. Absolutely nothing special or different to these trips vs any other ping apart from the chance you could be waiting around a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Scheduled trips need like a 10 bucks right of the bat payment to the driver not to Uber and I'll help the driver to go the extra mile. These trips are often not worth if uber sent you there early and you got to sit around unpaid for 5-10 minutes and you can't even cancel because you won't get the fee as you are nowhere near their window. Fails as a tech company. Expects ants just to sit there on base rate for free :biggrin: typically of uber really. Absolutely nothing special or different to these trips vs any other ping apart from the chance you could be waiting around a long time.
I never did get that, want an advance trip? Pay extra for the ride, think of it as an included tip. I turn down most scheduled ride because they mostly want to go to some far off place that doesn't have a return trip. Maybe an extra $10 will make me take some

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
this is how it works....ride scheduled for 10 am you arrive at pick up and timer starts. you arrived at 9:52 am you will get paid a slightly higher wait time for the first 8 minutes..here its like 22 vs 15.75 cents per min. the cancel timer will not start until 10:00 am...at 10:05 you will be eligible for the cancel fee. If you cancel the ride and you did not drive more then 8 min or 6 miles to the pick up you will get the normal 3.98 cancel fee at least thats what they pay here in vegas. If you complete the ride and lets say for arguments sake it was min fare and you drove under those min and distant limits to the pick up you would get the additional 1.60/ 0r 70 whatever it is. In vegas we get paid for long distance after 8 min and 6 miles. so a 25 mile pick up ,although it sucks they dont pay for those first min and miles you will get paid like a regualr trip for the remaining time and miles on top of the fare. if you turn down too many it will affect your account,in addition due to shortages it is irrelavent,you will just continue to get long pick ups anyways. Im sure some of you will think ,no way would i do that,I am telling you that you can do 300/400 a day in a 4 seater here and we are only at 50% capacity as of now. Im sure this will change when all of the government mooches run out money from the government,but for now its nice to know that just about anytime i want i can bring in 2500+ a week without breaking a sweat. just depends on how much you want to work. anyways , this was an expansion on the thread but i just got rolling lol....
First mistake was sending her a message with anything other than "I've arrived."

Second mistake was replying to her.

Third and final mistake was wanting to be a nice guy to someone who obviously didn't care about your time.

Drive at 5.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Ive been hitting the "ive arrived" button because sometimes the gps shows im 5 minutes away.
I dont know that it helps but
I was on a $5 surge this morning
and drove 10 minutes to a ride.
After i get there i see its a
scheduled ride and the timer says
18 minutes before i can noshow it.
This isnt the pax doing it this is our old buddy uber.
I just cancelled it and moved on.
The whole area was still surging anyway

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I have pax argue that the scheduled window of time is "their" time and that since they scheduled the ride, they are allowed ("I have the right...") to wait until the very last minute of that block of time. This is particularly annoying when it is at a restaurant, you are parked directly in front looking at them, and they are obviously the closer. This is on uber, they shouldn't be pushing the ride out 20 minutes early; but it's on YOU to decide if you want to waste 10+ minutes of your time, often at peak busy times. Clearly it is better not to debate anything, especially by text. I let them know when I arrive, usually ask when they plan to leave, and wait 5 minutes maximum UNLESS they insist that the wait time is theirs to use. In that case, I just cancel and leave. In my area, short 2-3 minute trips at peak times are very lucrative, see screenshot for an example; why would I sit anywhere for 10-15 minutes when I'm practically guaranteed to complete at least two short rides in that time?
Screenshot_20210416-095659_Uber Driver.jpg
Pax in these situations have told me that Uber drivers cancel on them frequently and I take the time to explain the scheduled ride thing. Doing my part to educate the riding public, one person at a time!

21 - 40 of 125 Posts